Juneau

travelforlife

My 10 year old son would like to do the trolley, panning for gold, M. glacier, and salmon bake in Juneau. I know this sounds very ambitious, and we probably won't be able to see everything, but can we book each of these excursions from the dock? I don't want to book ahead, as I would like to wait and see the weather. My plan is to get off the ship and do these independently. Is that possible?

Waiting until you get to the dock at Juneau (or other Alaska ports) will leave you with a very disappointed son. Most good tours sell out long before the ships collect their passengers and begin the cruise.

At least pick your/your son's top priority and pick that. Most tours don't cancel for weather in South East Alaska.

Have a back up plan.

Do not buy your Mt. Roberts tram tickets, however, until you are in Juneau and see the weather conditions for yourself.

Check the websites of the things you want to do, and see what times they are offering tours, to see if it is even feasible to try to do it all. it may and it may not. I know that there are combination tours that include a salmon bake, or an add on of Mendenhal. There may be one that combines the gold and salmon if I remember right.

If you don't know where to start with a search, go to your cruiseline's website, putting your booking # in, and see what is offered in Juneau. Write down the title of the excursion(s) you are intereted in. Pretty good chance it will be called the same name by independent tour operators. Also note the time(s) and price from the ship to get an idea for comparison. Then google the name of the tour. You will find more than one hit.

How often does the public bus run to the glacier? Since we have been to Juneau before and did the whale excursion as well as the sled dog camp we just want to do things on our own. I ask about the bus schedule as we will be there during the late September hours, (the 27th).

The bus to the glacier and visitor center can fill out time. I am assuming that you can get the bus near the dock?

A visit to the Red Dog is in order too.:D

Juneau was the only port where I didn't plan an excursion. What a mistake! Despite what I had been told, there were no buses running back and forth to the salmon bake and just a few somewhat boring tours available from the pier. It was a much longer walk to town that I had thought, and not much to see or do except peek into the Red Dog Saloon. Upon reflection, I think it is because Juneau doesn't depend on tourism as much as the other ports we visited (Ketchikan and Skagway). The main business of the town is conducting state government. If I had to do it over again, I would pick a tour that was something to do with gold mining, and the salmon bake. Both have protection from rain and bad weather.

How often does the public bus run to the glacier? Since we have been to Juneau before and did the whale excursion as well as the sled dog camp we just want to do things on our own. I ask about the bus schedule as we will be there during the late September hours, (the 27th).

The bus to the glacier and visitor center can fill out time. I am assuming that you can get the bus near the dock?

A visit to the Red Dog is in order too.:D

Mendenhall Shuttle buses run about every 30 minutes, on busy days, can be more often. "public bus" term can be confused with the city bus there, which most don't want to consider since it's a mile walk to the the visitor center from the bus stop and makes many stops along the way, doubling the time to get there. Ticket booths and loading is next to the tram.

My 10 year old son would like to do the trolley, panning for gold, M. glacier, and salmon bake in Juneau. I know this sounds very ambitious, and we probably won't be able to see everything, but can we book each of these excursions from the dock? I don't want to book ahead, as I would like to wait and see the weather. My plan is to get off the ship and do these independently. Is that possible?

Not sure if the gold panning is an available tour from the dock, but the rest is.

I agree- list the priority and get yourself off your ship as soon as it clears and to the ticket booths for availability.

I was unaware of the long walk to the glacier and visitor center, when departing the city bus....thanks for the heads-up!

I may now reserve a spot with an independent tour company someone mentioned on these boards, the company that also goes out to the Shrine of St.Teresea.

I was unaware of the long walk to the glacier and visitor center, when departing the city bus....thanks for the heads-up!

I may now reserve a spot with an independent tour company someone mentioned on these boards, the company that also goes out to the Shrine of St.Teresea.

Again for clairfication. There are TWO buses. The City bus which doesn't run frequently and has the 1+ level mile walk to the visitor center. AND there are the SHUTTLE buses which drop off right at the visitor center, direct from the downtown dock next to the tram. The city bus stop is on Franklin, up and across from the Red Dog.

OK...now I understand. There are two modes of transportation up to the glacier.:) The City Bus, and the Shuttle Bus.

Re the Shuttle Bus: cost? Frequency of service?. And can tickets be pre ordered on-line?

Thanks, Budget Queen for your information.

OK...now I understand. There are two modes of transportation up to the glacier.:) The City Bus, and the Shuttle Bus.

Re the Shuttle Bus: cost? Frequency of service?. And can tickets be pre ordered on-line?

Thanks, Budget Queen for your information.

There is no need to purchase shuttle bus tickets ahead. Just go to a dock booth, next to the tram. Mightly Great Trips is one operator. In the past the buses ran about every half hour. Contact them direct for current information. $14 round trip pp.

Not sure if the gold panning is an available tour from the dock, but the rest is.

I agree- list the priority and get yourself off your ship as soon as it clears and to the ticket booths for availability.

B.Q. I am sorry this is off the subject, but I can't seem to find my way around CC any longer without the search feature!

I am temporarly in a wheelchair and we are thinking of a RT Seattle Alaska cruise July 4. We have been on 3 Alaska cruises and done many excursions, but never with me in a wheelchair!:eek:

We will be in port at Sitka, Juneau, & Ketchikan.

Any suggestions? You have been a great deal of help to us in the past! THANK YOU!!

Teri

Archived