Can anyone tell us

PhilUK73

Hi PhilUk

We have sailed on the Sea Princess quite a few times now and the entertainment can be a bit varied.

There are shows by the theatre company and again they can vary and some will siut your taste, in a couple of the bars there is some live music,in the evening.

The movies under the stars runs in the daytime also and you loan headsets but at night it is broadcast sound .

The entertainment team put on quizzes in the daytime and also in the evening if you dont fancy anything else on offer, Any more questions ask away.

What sailing are you on?

We sailed on Sea Princess last November in the Caribbean.

The entertainment was supposedly geared to British tastes, but was in our opinion the worst entertainment we've ever had on a cruise ship.

Old, dated, has been acts, a singer/comedian who was totally unfunny (and he must have been 80), a magician who was OK until you could see where he was getting the tricks from, and his assistant who he tried to hide in a box, but you could see her hair dangling outside!!

And the Grumbleweeds .... need I say more.

The pianist in the piano bar was very poor. Normally the piano bar on a cruise is very busy, but when this man starting playing the bar emptied.

The cruise director was the worse ever, but understand he has since left.

A lot of people were complaining about the entertainment.

That said we enjoyed the cruise. Entertainment only a small part of it.

We were on the Sea Princess three weeks ago, but I didn't reply when I first read your post since we didn't see all the entertainers and aren't huge fans of comedians, magicians, etc.

There was one singer who was OK (Scottish guy who'd spent too much time on the tanning bed but was a nice guy!). We unfortunately seem to have had the same lousy magician as Aladdin22 above but, thank god, were spared the Grumbleweeds!

The production shows (5 on our cruise) were all very enjoyable.

I imagine the piano guy must have changed (it's Brendan Jones, I believe) because he seemed to have a reasonably full house (though the Med probably has an older passenger demographic than the Caribbean). The singers in the bars sounded reasonable as I wandered through.

We thoroughly enjoyed MUTS on a couple of nights...partly because there were only a handful of us out there wrapped in blankets braving the elements. Actually I also watched Grease out there one afternoon too (showing my age now!).

The CD is Peter Tredgett who was OK despite sounding just like Bruce Forsythe to me. His "drive carefully" at the end of every speech became a little wearing by the second week however. ;)

The one slight disappointment for me were the lectures. I actually walked out of two of the three I went to which is something I never normally do.

In contrast the 'Navigational Bridge Lecture' given by the officers was extremely well done and interesting.

Overall though had a fantastic cruise as usual. If you're doing the Med, it is so port intensive that it's nice to have a couple of evenings "off".

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks very much folks. Its a honeymoon so we dont plan getting off off at every port and ideally would like to chill out and unwind. I thought the grumbleweeds were dead!!!!

I fancy the movies under the stars - they sound great. We would like a bit of music though and a show just because we never get time at home.

Ours is the meditearrean Medley - roll on 14 June !!!

Karen

Karen - you're on your honeymoon, you shouldn't be looking for any entertainment outside your cabin!!!!!

Can't believe this cruise we booked over a year ago is only 20 days away! 15 sleeps until we fly to London.

We were on the Sea Princess three weeks ago, but I didn't reply when I first read your post since we didn't see all the entertainers and aren't huge fans of comedians, magicians, etc.

There was one singer who was OK (Scottish guy who'd spent too much time on the tanning bed but was a nice guy!). We unfortunately seem to have had the same lousy magician as Aladdin22 above but, thank god, were spared the Grumbleweeds!

The production shows (5 on our cruise) were all very enjoyable.

I imagine the piano guy must have changed (it's Brendan Jones, I believe) because he seemed to have a reasonably full house (though the Med probably has an older passenger demographic than the Caribbean). The singers in the bars sounded reasonable as I wandered through.

We thoroughly enjoyed MUTS on a couple of nights...partly because there were only a handful of us out there wrapped in blankets braving the elements. Actually I also watched Grease out there one afternoon too (showing my age now!).

The CD is Peter Tredgett who was OK despite sounding just like Bruce Forsythe to me. His "drive carefully" at the end of every speech became a little wearing by the second week however. ;)

The one slight disappointment for me were the lectures. I actually walked out of two of the three I went to which is something I never normally do.

In contrast the 'Navigational Bridge Lecture' given by the officers was extremely well done and interesting.

Overall though had a fantastic cruise as usual. If you're doing the Med, it is so port intensive that it's nice to have a couple of evenings "off".

Hope that helps. :)

I was on the same cruise, and agree with all this, except I thought the lectures were pretty good. The Navigational lecture was fun - turned out to be a rally for anti-immigrationists who thought the asylum seekers we picked up should have been left to drown. Lovely people. You should have seen their faces when the officer stuck up for them and explained they weren't prisoners.

The comedians all tell the same jokes (we met a few of them - they all drank in the Cigar Bar along with Vera Duckworth, who was aboard), the production shows are a bit naff, the bar singers are - well - bar singers, in other words, it's all absolutely priceless. Get pissed, enjoy. It isn't the Royal Albert Hall, and you pretty much get what you pay for. You're talking Doncaster Rovers, not Liverpool.

Things have improved though since the last Cruise Director, who was beyond awful, left. The new guy tries his best - all a bit Butlins. Which, again, makes it priceless.

The only must-see is the young ventriliquist, who, believe it or not, was fantastic.

I think I'm going to have to steal your tickets. Do go to the shows, because any live entertainment is a bonus (well it is when you live in the Highlands of Scotland - all we get is deer rutting!!!).

Oh HappyScott - I so wish you were going to be on this cruise, you sound like so much fun!!! We had a Scotsman share our dinner table on our last cruise, never laughed so hard in my life!! One poor Scotsman and five Canadian ladies - he was in heaven!

HappyScot, maybe I should have given the lectures more of a chance but after the first one where the guy spoke at a rate of five words per minute (and three of those being "ummm") I couldn't take much more. I would have happily watched deer rutting rather than him fighting to get the right slide on the screen. ;)

The new guy tries his best - all a bit Butlins.

If he'd shouted "Hi-de-hi" a few times I wouldn't have been surprised! And at least one of the cruise staff is an ex-Butlins girl.

All in all the cruise 'felt' somewhat different to me than the usual Princess cruise......but I've never been on one where the vast majority of the passengers were British. I'm a Brit myself but left 18 years ago so I guess I'm not used to large herds of Brits anymore. (There.....interpret that as you think fit!) ;)

As far as movies.....they were shown most afternoons in the Princess theater, at least on sea days. I tend to be of the 'wait for the DVD' persuasion so whether they were recent movies I'm not sure. We saw Sweeney Todd which is, by my definition, recent, but then we also saw that music one with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore which has been out at least a year in the US.

Oh, apparently the staff talent contest was quite good....I missed that. The folkloric show of musicians and dancers held whilst in Barcelona was also worth seeing......and it was most amusing watching the CD in the wings frantically pointing at his watch and trying to get them offstage because we were about to sail and they had to get off.

Would do the cruise again in a heartbeat.

HappyScot, maybe I should have given the lectures more of a chance but after the first one where the guy spoke at a rate of five words per minute (and three of those being "ummm") I couldn't take much more. I would have happily watched deer rutting rather than him fighting to get the right slide on the screen. ;)

If he'd shouted "Hi-de-hi" a few times I wouldn't have been surprised! And at least one of the cruise staff is an ex-Butlins girl.

All in all the cruise 'felt' somewhat different to me than the usual Princess cruise......but I've never been on one where the vast majority of the passengers were British. I'm a Brit myself but left 18 years ago so I guess I'm not used to large herds of Brits anymore. (There.....interpret that as you think fit!) ;)

As far as movies.....they were shown most afternoons in the Princess theater, at least on sea days. I tend to be of the 'wait for the DVD' persuasion so whether they were recent movies I'm not sure. We saw Sweeney Todd which is, by my definition, recent, but then we also saw that music one with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore which has been out at least a year in the US.

Oh, apparently the staff talent contest was quite good....I missed that. The folkloric show of musicians and dancers held whilst in Barcelona was also worth seeing......and it was most amusing watching the CD in the wings frantically pointing at his watch and trying to get them offstage because we were about to sail and they had to get off.

Would do the cruise again in a heartbeat.

I agree with all, and the last bit in spades. Wasn't it ******** good?

I think my point is, never mind how awful the acts are (AND OH BOY SOME OF THEM ARE) go and enjoy, because you could be sitting at home worrying about the mortgage.

Aw come on its a 2 week honeymoon and we live together already so we will be wanting a bit of extra entertainment outside of our stateroom lol.

Roll on 14th June.

Karen.

Does Phil know you're using his computer? I charge my partner by the minute. Oh, and using the computer as well.

You have absolutely no idea how good a time you're going to have. You lucky, lucky ******. The trick is, just chill.

Archived