Belize excursion-private island or Caye Caulker

lucy2mb

So, here's the next question then. If Bannister is a Carnvial excursion - it will be packed with people, won't it? Also, you can't snorkel on your own with Carnvial, so the best bet seems to be Bannister with Coral Breezes, right?

When we were there 2 years ago, Fab Tours had the concession for Bannister and it was a good tour. I understand that Fab now has their own island. It would be worth a look. You can book at the tenderdock in town. If you are still interested in Bannister, I think that you can book with Coral Breezes at the dock also.

• 5 years later...

We are sailing on NCL Jewel on 2/23/14 and belize is one of our stops. I am trying to figure out if we want to try to do a catamaran and snorkel trip (which I am having a hard time locating outside of the cruise excursions...I don't like cruise excursions, too expensive, too many people, too short...) or we we want to take a taxi to the Belikin Brewery for a tour.

Clackey and Driftwood, it seems that you are against taking a taxi anywhere in Belize, so would we be better off booking the brewery through the cruise if we go that route?

Anyone do the brewery tour at Belikin?

I am curious about your experiences with the Caye Caulker water taxis. Are they reliable and punctual? We are considering a trip there from our princess cruise in March. Not necessarily looking for a beach but something away from the port. We shopped in the port area last year and did a ship excursion to Goff's Caye so we are looking for something different. Our ship's excursions are mostly booked up.

Maybe I am over cautious but when we went cave tubing our tour bus was stopped twice by military. Someone had demonstrated against the government and had dumped trasplace on one of the bridges leaving town. It made for an interesting day. I also noticed that any house that was halfway decent had steel bars over the windows and broken glass was imbedded on top of the rock walls surrounding them. Tells me that this is not a safe place.

It has been a couple years since we did Caye Caulker. We had to leave the tourist village and run a gauntlet of hawkers to get to the water taxi. Then we nearly missed the last tender to the ship. The snorkeling at CC was pretty good though.

There are two ports that I will not do without a tour and they are Belize and Roatan.