Bamboo Beach Club Bedouin Tent??

gemchic

We're going for the first time to Jamaica next month and just want to climb the Falls and relax at a nice Caribbean beach, but we're having a hard time deciding between Bamboo Beach Club and Sunset Beach Resort. Some friends of ours were at the Beach Club last month and told us how great it was and there was a new bedouin tent area on the beach where they hung out the whole time. I've been reading the forums and haven't heard any mention of this. Has anyone seen the bedouin area at the Beach Club? Also, I know there are no pools at Bamboo Beach and there are at Sunset. My kids much prefer the pool, so has anyone been to both places? Which one is better? Thanks for any info!

Bedouin tent???? Hmmmm.....I wouldn't call it that so much as just a party tent put up for shade. I was very disappointed with the Bamboo Beach Club....we were there on 5/8, which was the last port on our 7 day cruise and I was sick of drinking ($400 bar bill for 4 of us at Carlos & Charlies' in Coz...need I say more??? :) ) so all I wanted was some Diet Coke to drink while lounging all day on the beach. Unfortunately, after paying $45 a person, I was told that non-alcoholic drinks were not included, but I could get a glass of Diet Coke (in a 8 oz cup) for $2, but the lemonade was free.....unfortunately it was a little funky tasting. Friends who were with us did have some of the rum punch and mojitos being served and said they were REALLY strong. After having several drinks in the hot sun, there were some people who were having a REALLY good time there. We walked down the beach later on and were approached a million times by people asking if we wanted ganja. I paid $6 for the exact same type of bottled water you can buy as you leave the ship for $3.50. The $45 per person was also to include food so we didn't eat breakfast before leaving the ship. Once we got to the Beach Club we were starving. There is not a buffet or anywhere that you can go and get food. The waitresses will walk around with 8-10 small plates (dessert sized) of a piece of jerk chicken (which was very good) and separate plates with rice.....good luck getting more than one. As for the beach....there is a lot of seaweed in the water and the area of the actual beach club is pretty small. Also, the cushions on the lounge chairs we were originally sat in, smelled like cat urine so we moved to another area. Our waitress wasn't too happy that we moved from our "assigned area" because she had to walk further to check on us......for a while b/c she eventually stopped coming over to us. I can't speak about Sunset, but there have been some positive posts here about it. Overall, I was disappointed with BBC and wished I would have tried Sunset.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Jamaica again last weekend and visited Bamboo Beach for the second time because we had such a great time the first time we went. They do have a new bedouin tent there that they did not have the last time we went. It is not the white canopy tents, but a real bedouin area with authentic rugs that were apparently brought all the way from Egypt. I went with a group of friends and we really enjoyed sitting there. We didn't swim much, but when we did we didn't really notice any seaweed. Maybe one or two pieces floating but nothing that really bothered us at all. If there was a seaweed problem, believe me, I'd hear about it from my girlfriend who hates it and she didn't mention a word. Maybe zippybossrock was there after a storm or something that may have washed some of it ashore. Anyway, we had a great time. For us it's the perfect place to just hang out, eat, and drink.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyway, we had a great time. For us it's the perfect place to just hang out, eat, and drink.
Is it true you can't get soft drinks? only alcoholic beverages? And what about the food? Is it buffet or only brought around ever so often by the waitress?

Any info greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Last July the water was full of rooted plantlife, made walking in it very unpleasant. Ditto for the plastic utensils and paper cups discarded in the water. YUK. The food was brought around by your attendant. We did not think this worth the money at all, matter of fact, they could not pay me to go back.

Karen

We were in Jamaica again last weekend and visited Bamboo Beach for the second time because we had such a great time the first time we went. They do have a new bedouin tent there that they did not have the last time we went. It is not the white canopy tents, but a real bedouin area with authentic rugs that were apparently brought all the way from Egypt. I went with a group of friends and we really enjoyed sitting there. We didn't swim much, but when we did we didn't really notice any seaweed. Maybe one or two pieces floating but nothing that really bothered us at all. If there was a seaweed problem, believe me, I'd hear about it from my girlfriend who hates it and she didn't mention a word. Maybe zippybossrock was there after a storm or something that may have washed some of it ashore. Anyway, we had a great time. For us it's the perfect place to just hang out, eat, and drink.

• 4 weeks later...

You couldn't pay me to go back to the Bamboo Beach Club either. The water is only about 3 feet deep at its deepest point and its roped off so that you have only a very small area to swim in.

Not that you would want to go any further out because its located RIGHT where the cruise ships dock so I'm sure you are swimming in all the nice oils that drain from the ships.

And there is all kinds of seaweed or something in that water. It was awful.

Archived