Fiumicino-Rome 6/15: Trenitalia Website?

Anybody know what's up with the Trenitalia website (http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html)? It will not give any timetables after June 14 for trains from the airport to the city.

We're sailing from Rome on the Carnival Freedom the next day -- June 15 -- and have arranged a sightseeing tour in the city that morning, so this is mildly troubling. I haven't found anything about a strike (http://www.summerinitaly.com/planning/strike.asp), and when I check other routes for later dates (e.g., Civitavecchia to Rome on June 26), the site provides timetables.

Never mind "on time" -- will the trains be running at all?

I just had a quick look at the site and according to info in the blue box with the !, it looks like not all schedules are posted yet for June 15th onwards ... but will be added in the coming weeks.

Anybody know what's up with the Trenitalia website (http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html)? It will not give any timetables after June 14 for trains from the airport to the city.

We're sailing from Rome on the Carnival Freedom the next day -- June 15 -- and have arranged a sightseeing tour in the city that morning, so this is mildly troubling. I haven't found anything about a strike (http://www.summerinitaly.com/planning/strike.asp), and when I check other routes for later dates (e.g., Civitavecchia to Rome on June 26), the site provides timetables.

Never mind "on time" -- will the trains be running at all?

The high speed train line between FCO and Rome Termini is known as the "Leonardo Express" and runs every 30 minutes in both directions. This is a no-reservation train and does have some room in each car for luggage. When you walk into the FCO station you will see large electric signs telling you how many minutes to the next train.

As to the trains between Civitavecchia and Rome, there are generally at least two trains per hour. Most of these are local trains which do not have reservations. However, there are also a few IC high speed trains on the line and these do require advanced reservations and have a higher cost.

Hank

As another poster wrote, they don't have schedules posted as far out on certain trains. We called Rail Europe about this a few weeks ago as we could book some of the high speed trains but not the regional/ local ones. Some trains may be booked only a few weeks out while some are one or two months out depending on the country and the type of train. You're fine- just check back as your dates get closer to confirm times, etc. And if you are taking the IC (high speed) from the port to Rome, make sure you get a seat reservation.

June is schedule change/update time. As a result, most of the trains disappear off the schedule and slowly, over a period of weeks, appear again. There is work-around to this problem:

You want to check the schedule for the current month. If you plan to travel on (example) Tuesday, Jun 24th, check for a train on Tuesday, May 27th. You should get a complete schedule and there is about a 99% probability that it will be correct.

Once we reach the first week in June, the schedule should be complete. If it doesn't appear to be, just back up a week or two in time.

Above all, check your train schedule(s) when you first arrive in Italy.

I just had a quick look at the site and according to info in the blue box with the !, it looks like not all schedules are posted yet for June 15th onwards ... but will be added in the coming weeks.

As another poster wrote, they don't have schedules posted as far out on certain trains. We called Rail Europe about this a few weeks ago as we could book some of the high speed trains but not the regional/ local ones. Some trains may be booked only a few weeks out while some are one or two months out depending on the country and the type of train. You're fine- just check back as your dates get closer to confirm times, etc.

June is schedule change/update time. As a result, most of the trains disappear off the schedule and slowly, over a period of weeks, appear again...

Once we reach the first week in June, the schedule should be complete. If it doesn't appear to be, just back up a week or two in time.

Thanks for keeping me from going off the rails :rolleyes: on this one.

Archived