How to get around in Positano?

This does not make much sense since in order to get to Ravello you have to drive right through the center of Amalfi. At that point, its worth a few minutes to stop, stretch your legs, and look around (the center of Amalfi is only a few blocks). We do agree with those that say you should go to Ravello. But understand that the Amalfi Drive is a 2 lane road and very narrow at some points (particularly around Positano where cars park along the road). During the busy summer season this road can become quite congested and its common to have "stand-offs" where there is not enough room for a bus to get through traffic on some of the curves. When this happens, it really slows traffic until the drivers can unravel the situation. We have driven from Sorrento to Amalfi/Ravello in about an hour on quiet days, but that same drive has also taken over 2 hours (one-way) on bad days. And remember, if you are leaving from Naples you still have to get down to Sorrento and this little drive can take 45 min to an hour. One problem is that there has been some construction projects on the road between Naples and Sorrento, and this can add some time on various days (its unpredictable).

Hank

OK Hank, thats great info. So would you recommend not trying to do Positano in July with such short port time(7am-4pm)? I dont want to stress or spend the day in the car, would you recommend going to Amalfi and Ravello only and just relaxing and enjoying these two? The ship tour only goes to Amalfi though so I could do private diver to A and R. Does his sound more doable?? Getting very confused....

Lee Anne

OK Hank, thats great info. So would you recommend not trying to do Positano in July with such short port time(7am-4pm)? I dont want to stress or spend the day in the car, would you recommend going to Amalfi and Ravello only and just relaxing and enjoying these two? The ship tour only goes to Amalfi though so I could do private diver to A and R. Does his sound more doable?? Getting very confused....

Lee Anne

LeeAnne,

This is the link to the Ho/Ho bus in Sorrento, with a few maps showing the area of the Peninsula where Amalfi, Sorrento, Positano and Ravello are. You can tell the terrain is pretty rough, and the distance while not great, is not slight either. Do your homework and be prepared, and you will have a wonderful trip.

http://www.sorrento.city-sightseeing.it/eng/depliant_so.pdf

Lee Anne

If you have your heart set on the doing the Amalfi Coast (we like this area enough to stay there a few days whenever we are in the south of Italy) than a private driver makes the most sense (I like to drive this myself, but its not recommended for those not used to driving in Italy). If you do not spend any time in Pompeii (or other places on the way) you should have enough time to stop in Positano, go on to Amalfi and than head up the hill to Ravello. The advantage of a driver who knows the area cannot be overstated. The cruise line tours use large buses which are not even permitted to go down into Positano. But, with a private car your driver can drive you right down the road that goes into Positano and drop you at the lower area (this is where you want to be). This would also leave you with enough time for lunch (many of the drivers have their favorite scenic cafes). Than, if you still have time (unlikely) there are numerous places that could be visited on the way back to the port including Pompeii, Herculanium and Sorrento (I mention this to give you an idea of the route). Some of the drivers will use an alternative route to return to Naples (they use back roads to head north to the A3) which can save time, but it also takes you away from the Amalfi coast. The ultimate routes and timing depend a little on the traffic, your personal wishes (i.e. you might want to spend more time in Positano, Ravello, etc) and the skill of your driver. On our recent visit to this area (earlier this month) we spent 5 days along the Amalfi coast and only had our sideview mirror "clipped" twice (no scratches but you heard the sound) which we thought was a good trip! A few other times I avoided problems by reaching out and pulling the mirrors in! We truly love this place!

Hank

Hank, I cannot thank you enough for all the detailed info you offer. Yes I do have my heart set on the coast even if it has to be just a taste, but sounds like with a driver i can do it and get back to ship iby 4pm time. Since we'll be doing Taormina, Valletta and Dubrovnik on our own and probably Florence too, I can splurge for driver in Naples and see what I really want to. July is coming fast and I need to make the arrangements asap!! Thanks again:D

Lee Anne

Dear Lee Anne,

I would like to suggest you to do something different:

1) Stop at the VILLAS of STABIAE instead than go to Pompei...after,from the VARANO HILL, you can ask your driver to go up to the hill to see a very exciting view,Gulf of Naples + Gulf of Sorrento....

2) Go streight to RAVELLO and have a short walk around the gardens and enjoy GULF of AMALFI view..

3) Have the last 4 hours to enjoy Positano ( shopping and views )

If you have any special requirement,please,feel free to ask!!

MARCO

Archived