Pier Coordinator - Galveston

Anyone had any good luck lately with pier upgrades on the Splendour of the Seas out of Galveston? Where is the Pier Coordinator located?

Thanks

Coming Up
Splendour of the Seas 4/04
Adventure of the Seas 9/04

Past Cruises
NCL Sea 9/1999
NCL Sea 5/2000
Carnival Celebration 9/2003
Carnival Elation 12/2003

Just got off the ship on Saturday. The pier coordinator is located on the far right of the check-in area (next to the Platinum/Diamond check-in). It was $300 to upgrade from a "D" to a "C". We chose not to purchase the upgrade.

Southward ~ 1984
Tropicale ~ 1985
Sun Cruise Lines ~ Stella Solaris ~ 5/91
RCCL ~ Song of America ~ 7/92
Carnival ~ Fascination ~ 9/95
RCCL ~ Sovereign of the Seas ~ 10/97
Princess ~ Grand Princess ~ 10/99
RCCL ~ Voyager of the Seas ~ 10/00
RCCL ~ Adventurer of the Seas ~ 11/01 (Thanksgiving)
RCCL ~ Monarch of the Seas ~ 2/23/02
RCCL ~ Monarch of the Seas ~ 2/28/02
RCCL ~ Radiance of the Seas ~ 11/23/02 (Thanksgiving)
RCCL ~ Explorer of the Seas ~ 2/22/03
RCCL ~ Monarch of the Seas ~ 5/8/03 (Price was right)
Princess ~ Grand Princess ~ 11/23/03 (Thanksgiving)
RCCL ~ Splendour of the Seas ~ 3/29/04 Diamond Status

Woodywoman, Thanks for the location information. I know it's a lot to ask, but I don't suppose you remember any of the other prices? I'm looking at upgrading from inside to Cat D.

Thanks for your help.

Coming Up

Past Cruises
NCL Sea 9/1999
NCL Sea 5/2000
Carnival Elation 12/2003

If anyone has the list of upgrade prices,can you let us know what they are for all the categories???

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;30;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img] RCCL Serenade--5/30--Alaska
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;10;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] RCCL Jewel--10/28--repositioning
**RCCL SOS-8/27/04** Carnival Miracle-2/13/05**

I know from past experience that the price list changes from week to week. It really depends on how booked they are and exactly what is available.

Here is my "general" guideline. Look at your cruise 2003-2004 vacation planner (the brochure). Look at category "D" room for early booking --$1699. Then look at category "C" room for early booking --$1999. Difference is $300 (each person). Well that is the amount they wanted for both of us. Keep in mind that no one pays the brochure price. So, let that be your guide.
I've used this guideline before--it was very close.

I hope that helps!

RCI mentioned during the cruise that they moved a family from their room to a "suite" for the remaining part of the cruise if they won playing BINGO. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Southward ~ 1984
Tropicale ~ 1985

Woodywoman,

What time should I arrive to try for a pier upgrade in Galveston?

Thanks.

Coming Up

Past Cruises
NCL Sea 9/1999
NCL Sea 5/2000
Carnival Elation 12/2003

Little Miss S - Try to get to Galvston around 10:30. You should be one of the first in line (unless everyone is reading this). That should give you a chance for an upgrade (if you want it).

Southward ~ 1984
Tropicale ~ 1985

I am new at this so please forgive me if I try your patience!

I booked my Sept 04 cruise last November with an inside room. Upgraded on a sale to a superior balcony, class D. I've been watching fares and was trying to see if I could get a suite. Two web sites say they're sold out, including RCI, but one site say they've suites left at a terribly high fee. Are they really sold out or 'holding' rooms?

Will other rooms be 'released' later? Is this like the airlines, a certain amount of rooms are sold at a certain price?

tinsel57

Tinsel57 - Deposits on most cruises (7 night or longer-not holiday sailing) are not fully refundable 70 days or less from your cruise. So, if you are traveling in early September, you will see some rooms open up in July. It is those people who decided not to make their final payment and would like their deposit back. Some rooms will open up after that (but not many) since those people will lose a portion of their deposit.
Keep in mind that there are always people who are purchasing their cruise at the last minute. So, even though rooms may open up, new people are booking.
I use the RCCL site as a guide to how many rooms are available.

I have found that the price of room (category) varies from week to week. Unlike the airlines, you will get a credit if the price of your room goes down. The airlines did that years ago, and now they base all seats on classes (so many tickets at each class). If you purchased an "e" class ticket on an airlines, you would only get credit if the "e" class goes down. It is now virtually impossible to get an airline credit. Of course, on cruise lines, you only get credit (or you can take a free upgrade) if the price of your room category goes down. That happens quite often, so keep checking your prices.

I hope that helps.

Southward ~ 1984
Tropicale ~ 1985

Woddywoman, Thank you very much. I really appreciate the information. I am learning so much from these boards! I will keep at them on a weekly basis to see how things work out. I see you are a Houston girl - hello from Austin!

tinsel57

Little Miss S,

On the Travelocity site (right now) there are a few aft cabins (D) available. For instance, if you have an H (inside), the cost is only $90 pp to upgrade ...

Bookit

Bookit,

I've seen those prices, but I can't figure out how to take advantage of them. I bought my cruise through Sky Auction and they are totally trying to rip me off. Do you know how much they want to charge me to upgrade from Cat M to Cat D? They quoted me $1,009. I asked if it was a mistake. They said no, $1,009. I called Royal Caribbean to complain, but apparently there isn't anything I can do at this point. It's totally unreal. I'll be filing a formal complaint, but that won't help me at this point, that's why I'm focusing in on the Pier Upgrade. Live and learn right?

Coming Up

Past Cruises
NCL Sea 9/1999
NCL Sea 5/2000
Carnival Elation 12/2003

Little Miss S,

Travelocity shows no "M"'s available right now...I checked on "N" -- knowing you are the level "up" from that one. To upgrade to a "D" it would be $240.per person (based on 2 people).

Sorry that you have had these problems with Skyauction. I have had no booking experience with anyone except my TA and RCI (both favorable).

If you wish to check the site I went to, go to:
[url="http://www.Travelocity.com"]http://www.Travelocity.com[/url] -- Choose "Cruise" tab, "Cruiseline" choice, and pick Splendour of the Seas. Locate the 5 day cruise for the date you have ...

Good luck at the pier. Never hurts to ask!

Bookit

Archived