Juneau Rented Car-anything I am missing?

gbanshee

OK, we decided to rent a car in Juneau. We want to see Chapel by the Lake, Mendenhall and the brewery Would love to gold pan, but do not think we can fit it in (7am-3pm)

So, what order is the easiest to drive to see these things and is there any little "hidden" gems along the way?

Will have a GPS with me as well, do these work well in Juneau? They tend to a bit "off" in our area with the small country (dirt) roads. A GPS cannot find my house or street! (and we are paved!)

Might be easiet to go "out the road" and work your way back in. If you want to see Chapel by the Lake, then you should definately go to the Shrine of St Therese. Plenty of nice photo spots along the way

Might be easiet to go "out the road" and work your way back in. If you want to see Chapel by the Lake, then you should definately go to the Shrine of St Therese. Plenty of nice photo spots along the way

You might want to drive to Auke Bay. You might be able to see whales there if you are lucky. We are renting a car also. I will try to let you know how that goes when we return. We leave Friday for a 14 day cruise. FRIDAY!!! That is really close!:eek:

You might want to drive to Auke Bay. You might be able to see whales there if you are lucky. We are renting a car also. I will try to let you know how that goes when we return. We leave Friday for a 14 day cruise. FRIDAY!!! That is really close!:eek:

Oh let me know how you made out driving! I will drive anywhere but the UK and Japan (cannot handle the other side of the road)

If you are renting from Rent-a-Wreck ask them for suggestions. They highlighted a map for us and told us about places where few tourists visit that have become some of our favorite places when we visit Juneau. We will be renting from them for the third time in just a few weeks.

we are not going until July. We are on the 7/4 sailing of the Celebrity Infinity.

We were in Juneau back in 2004 on the RCCL Serenade of the Seas, but did a tour. This time we just want to tool around on our own.

We are 4 adults, and I don't drink so have become designated driver and tour director. This way the others can enjoy the brewery!

Our ship does not stop in Skagway. Last cruise we did and hired a driver to take us along the road the train travels and up to Emerald Lake. Was gorgeous.

This sailing does Sitka, Hubbard, Juneau, Ketchikan and Victoria.

Sitka we are taking the bus up to the Raptor Center and going to the Russian Church

Junea- car

Ketchikan-wherever the day takes us

Victoria- the ghost walk and whatever.

Since we did so much last time, this trip is just to relax and let the day happen. Where we end up, we end up. Did this the last few Caribbean Cruises as well, and frankly enjoyed ourselves more.

This will not be our last Alaska Cruise since we are planning a HAL cruisetour for our anniversary. We had not planned on even doing this cruise, but friends are and asked us if we wanted to join them. Sounded like a good idea, so here we are! ( I can always justify a cruise)

Sorry, there is no way you need a GPS. :) Only one road out Auke Bay, One simple turn for Mendenhall glacier, print out the map from the Brewery site. Chapel on the Lake is at Alaska U, again a simple right hand turn going by Auke Bay, clearly marked. As already suggested, contine the drive to the end of the road perhaps, with a brief stop at St. Theresa's. If the salmon are running, the Hatchery is a quick stop as well, then continue on to Douglas, make a right, then left once over the bridge, nice little pull off with great views of your ship.

Archived