Lyon question

NYLady

Our trip on the Rhone is fast approaching and we are trying to plan our excursions. We have heard so many wonderful things about Lyon, we just can't wait to get there but our time is short (just one day) so we want to maximize our time by planning our Itinerary for efficient time use. We need to know where the boat will be...

Can anyone tell us where the boat will dock? Will we be in the center of Lyon (walking distance to Vieux Lyon) or further out of town?

If further out of town, are there taxis or is this one of those "take a bus" areas?

Thank you so much for any help you can provide!

NY Lady,

You didn't say which ship/cruise line you're on. I was on the Viking Burgundy, and the ship docked very near the University, next to the public swimming pool. It was a fairly short walk to the Old City, the Square, and the Shopping Street - can't remember the names now. I remember there were quite a few restaurants & cafes near the ship as well as an internet cafe at the university. It was a great location to start from & we walked all over. Enjoy Lyon! Tennessee Traveler

I'll be traveling on Avalon's new "Scenery"...

For the most part I have to assume the river boats will dock in the same location but I know this is not a certainty. Last year our trip on Tapestry, showed that this can definitely differ. Tapestry is so much longer than other river boats, when we went to Trier (Germany), we had to dock by a garbage dump outside town as it was the only docking area that could accomodate the size.

Since Scenery is new, I'm not expecting anyone to have first-hand info yet...I may be the first to report back on the details of that one.

The information you gave is what I was hoping to hear...

If anyone does have first-hand info on Scenery, I'd be happy to hear about it. Thanks for the info!

We didn't do that trip.

We were on Tapestry from Amsterdam to Basel, down the Rhine and it included going up (and back down) the Moselle. Trier was the furtherest we went up the Moselle...

Our cruise had an optional excursion to Luxembourg (which we took). It was an all-day excursion which included time (on our own) for lunch there. It was worth the trip.

So, to answer your question, I don't know...sorry

Archived