Tahitian princess-comp day hotel

2417rocky

If anyone has done the 10 day (polynesia & cook islands) Did they give you a comp day hotel before the long flight home? We just got back from a Radisson cruise to French Polynesia. We got a comp. hotel day use, it was very nice. I am trying to compare the two cruise lines. Radisson was excellant!! If anyone has done both cruises let me know what your opinion is. :) RF

Princess doesn't do a comp day at a hotel, they allow you to stay on the ship until time to catch your flight. We haven't been on Radisson so I can't compare, but we are headed back for #2 on Tahitian P. in January. I really like the fact that the cruise is 10 days instead of just 7.

Personally I would rather see Princess raise the price of their cruises just a bit to cover a day room that final day. It is the only thing I dislike about taking Princess to Tahiti. :( That last day can be very hot and there is no personal space to freshen up before that long flight home, just the spa. :( We have done it once before and it really isn't any fun. Day room rates are very high in price, for 8 hours they were running about $200 which is terrible. We are going to check again before we board the ship to see if we can find any a little cheaper, but I doubt it. It just is not the nicest way to end a fabulous cruise. IMHO

We have been on the TP in 2003 and 2004 (planning on going back in 2006) and both times just reserved a day room ourselves for the last day. In 2003 we had the Sheraton Tahiti and it was $115, we arrived about 1 PM the room was ready and we stayed until 7:30 when we left for the airport. In 2004 we went with the Beachcomber at $179, arrived 1 PM, left 7:30 PM. We met a few other people at the hotel from the TP that also did this. With all the money we spent on the cruise/air I felt another couple of hundred dollars to end the cruise in a relaxed manner was well worth it. We used their pool and relaxed the whole day. We plan to do a two night stay at the Beachcomber Tahiti after our 2006 cruise and hope we can get the same price for the same room, it was great with a King bed, marble bathroom, all the amenities and a great lagoon view.

We looked into the Radisson cruise originally and even with the free air it would have cost us quite a bit more for a balcony cabin which we had on the TP. (Remember the first year of the TP sailing we got great rates of under $1000/pp for a room - mini-suites were $999 for our March cruise). I enjoyed the two sea days we had going and coming from Rarotonga and 10 days was the perfect amount of time. I know Radisson is supposed to be a superior product but I really enjoyed the TP and was very happy with our two cruises and felt we got good value for our money.

Jackie

We have decided to stay 1 day post cruise, on Tahiti at the Beachcomber. I am hoping that we will be able to have late checkout since our flight leaves at night. We had a pretty bad experience last time, using air through Princess, booked it ourselves this time.

Hopefully when we check again after arriving next week we will be able to get a better rate on a day room for that last day. I had emailed some time ago and the rate for 8 hours was almost $200. Maybe it will be less if we book it when we arrive.

Back when Renissance (sp) ran the R4 now the TP, we were comped the conference room and pool area of the Sheraton. Our trip, on the TP in a couple of weeks, we have opted to stay for the post-cruise package of a couple of nights at the Sheraton to relax, take a ferry ride to Moorea, Patrick's tour, etc.

I have a deep scuba dive in Moorea the day before we disembark the TP so I have to wait at least 24-48 hours before flying.

Last year, the flight home on Omni Air, from B2B on the TP, was a chaotic experience I hope never to repeat. The passengers rude behaviour in the terminal was disgusting reminding me of a similar shipboard experience on a Carnival cruise to Mexico.

John

Thank you for all the responses. :D I know Radisson seems high priced, but when you start adding up all the freebies it works out to be pretty close to TP. Air was free W/Air Tahiti Nui non-stop, tranfers included. Comp excursions, beer & wine(all you can drink, they are not counting) same for dinner plus cocktails, gratuities included, comp snorkling, kayaking, wind surfing & water skiing. Comp soda & juice always, two liter bottles of liquor (of your preference delivered to your cabin,) parties w/open bar & a day hotel w/buffet lunch at the end of the cruise. It was very nice and laid back. The dress code was always country club casual. I found that to be very nice. I like to dress up, but carrying that extra luggage is back breaking from me. :eek: The Paul Gauguin (ship that I was on) has been sold. Last sailing is 2006. We are going back again and all your responses has made up my mind to sail with Radisson again.:D Thank you, RF

Hello

We were on the TP last March and did a post cruise at the Le Meridian and we had our room for the last day until we checked out at 7:30pm,it cost another $100 to do this...The late check out would have had us out of the room at 2pm....It was worth the extra money to have aplace to relax shower and eat before heading to the airport...

Toto ~ I agree with you that this *passenger switchover time* is less than great. We felt it made the much anticipated boarding for our cruise less than great. Personnel were harried & hurried, ship was half clean, cabin not prepared as per our requests . . . nothing earth-shaking, but still not as it might be. We were not affected greatly by the debark situation as we had arranged time post cruise on Moorea. However, had we not done that, I'm sure I would have felt as you. It's a change I would like to see them make.

Rocky ~ Interesting about the sale of the PG - I hadn't heard that. Are they replacing her with another or are they pulling out of Tahiti entirely like Windstar?

If I were to sail Tahiti again, as opposed to a land vacation, I'd give serious consideration to one of the two Bora Bora Cruises ships.

We just got back from TP and did a 2-night post-stay at the Tahiti Beachcomber. We were very glad we did - the last day on ship would have been a difficult way to end up.

Laurie, if you want a late check-out at the Beachcomber, expect to pay for it. Ours cost $150 in an overwater bungalow, but it was well worth it - we were clean and ready for that late flight.

Holly, I agree with your comment about the first day on ship. Everyone seemed a bit crazed - and I hadn't thought about it until reading your note. Our cabin never had balloons or decorations for our honeymoon and we had to request robes.

Overall, a wonderful trip, but perhaps a land tour or another way to go next time.

Doug

Recommendation:

Four of us took a room at a beachfront hotel near Papeete, flopped by the pool, had terrific meals and a wonderful day before spending the evening out and about. We were all able to clean up and rest a bit before leaving for our flight -- the hotel offered to call a taxi at midnight for us -- very accommodating. It's worth the cost; wouldn't want to end the trip being stuck on the ship all day.

j

Hi Laurieb,

Funny you should ask about Priority Club - it took me telling them three times (once via email in advance, once at check-in, and once at check-out) before they finally (I hope!) got my number on the reservation. It's not a "priority" for them, shall I say? :confused:

So I can't really answer the question, but they didn't seem interested one way or the other that I was PC. I don't have any status with them, so maybe that's why they didn't care. I still wanted the miles...:)

There are no air conditioned public spaces at the hotel, so it was well worth keeping an air-conditioned room and a bathroom until we departed at 7:30pm.

Doug

I found that the Intercontinental are not very interested in your Priority Club membership, however for $150 you can join their Ambassador Club there is a link to it at PC site which will also give you immediate gold status for PC. Even for a one night stay its really worth the $150 which will give immediate upgrade to the next level room at check-in, late check-out,fresh fruit etc in your room and some of the hotels have limo/shuttle service.

Archived