Diving in Majahual

Susan Thompson

Sorry Susan, The Chinchorro Banks are 2 hours away by boat and 2 hours back. This makes it non viable for cruise ship divers. The local diving is just as good as it is the same sea, same corals, and same fish. This way it is only 10 minutes to a dive site.

So if it is the same fish they might as well dive in Belize or Cozumel, Right? That way we all can go on an excursion to Bacalar all together. Do you have any advise on really cool, different things we could do if we hired a taxis to take us to Bacalar.... something besides Cenote Azul, that's a must do, We will do that for sure and have lunch there.. I'm looking for something different that is going to take us to some place to really see nature and such. I would also like to get a good view of the lagoon. Is there good vantage points, can you see the lagoon from town or do we need to go to an establishment that is located on the lagoon? If so , do you have any suggestions. Rancho Encantado looks like a pretty cool place. If we go there will we be able to explore the lagoon? Also I would like to go to Fort San Felipe. Is that open to the public? How much does it cost? I'm sorry for all the questions but I've been searching for someone that knows something about the area, and Xcalac internet has been down for weeks so my connections there have not been able to help me. We are not afraid of going off the beaten path, I have found that is where the best surprises are. I would really appreciate any sugestions you have.

Thanks a million, and we will be back to spend more time and dive Chinchorro some day.

We were in Costa Maya last week (October 7) off the Rhapsody of the Seas. Had not planned on diving, but decided what the heck. Although any day underwater is better than a day on top, the diving was not very good. We went to Majahual beach and dove with one of the local operators. Their "dive boats" are not much more than john boats. The water was especially rough the day we were their and it was difficult to get you gear on while bouncing around on the floor of the boat. Getting back on board after the dive is even worse. Of the 7 divers, 4 got sea sick.

The vis was terrible (probably less than 40 feet). Not sure if it was coral polyops or what but a lot of suspended stuff in the water. Did not see many fish at all and what we say were small although we did see on 3 foot turtle. The coral reef looked to me as if it had suffered years of damage from the fishing done locally. You could tell that may be chaning as there were sign of the reef coming back with new growth, but still sad to see so much broken coral lying on the bottom.

Thanks for the reply. I think they have decided not to dive Majahual because they can't go to Chinchorro. We are going to find adventure in Bacalar via taxis, instead. Someday we plan another road trip to Xcalac/ Majahual area where we would have more time and they can pick and choose their dive day.

I understand you being upset about a bad dive report. But what can I say. Whether folks dive with one of the local operators or with one of the ones you listed, if the visibility is poor and the coral reef is dead and destroyed from years of fishing nets and there are no fish, I do not see where it makes a difference.

Costa Maya was a last minute replacement stop for the cruise ship. RCI did not decided until the Friday before we left on Sunday where the ship would stop instead of Cayman and so little chance was available to research. The cruise line statement is that there is no suitable dive operation at the stop so they do not even offer a dive or snorkel excursion. Of the 12 folks that dove all 12 of us were very disappointed so it was not just me. I would expect that from a resort hotel or such a better diving experience could be had by going further out or to different sites, but what we got was what we got.

Archived