First time Cruiser

jencredible

Hi All-

I am hoping to get some guidance for some experienced cruisers. My husband and I will be taking our first cruise, upon the Valor in October. The reason for the cruise is a friend of our will be getting married upon the ship.

Being our first cruise, we are pretty clueless. My friend hired a TA, and I have paid for the cruise in full. Everyone else in the group traveling for the wedding, has been given both their booking #'s and Cabin #'s, except for myself. When I questioned the TA about this-she stated something about waiting for an upgrade, and not getting a cabin # until we are upgraded. But yet, according to the bride, no one else in the group has upgraded yet. When I asked the TA about this, this was her response

"Here is the way the crusie business works The upgrades are assigned on supply and demand. They can either assign you a cabin in a certain part of the deck, mid ship, aft or front of the ship. If they do that, they will not automatically upgrade you to a higher deck. If it isno problem what part of the ship you are in, and you have a guarantee cabin, then when it is about month before sailing and all final balances have been paid, they will put you in the best room that is still unsold on the cruise. You paid for a 4c inside room that is up on deck six. If there was another inside room available on ahigher deck, they would assign you the room on the higher deck. If you want to make sure you are exactly near where Amy and Nick are staying, then I can get you a room assignment right now. The cabin has nothing to do with the cost of the room. It has to do with whether or not you are eligible for an upgrade before you get on the ship. You can always go to the guest services desk and request an upgrade when you get on the ship, but there is no guarantee that the ship will not already be sold out."

Again, I apoligize for being unknowledgeable. but I'm not sure what to do now. I've been debating contacting Carnival, but I'm not sure if they could explain or do anything for me at all...

I'd like any advice you all can offer a first timer!

That sounds about right.

Thats the trick about cabin guarantees. You are just guaranteed a cabin of that category somewhere on the ship.

When they assign you a cabin, or you pick one out, then that cabin is yours.

As your TA said, with the guarantee you have a chance of an upgrade to a higher category if one is available. This may or may not happen. You can take your chances and stay in a guarantee, if you don't care about where on the ship you end up.

The stuff about asking for an upgrade once onboard rarely works, as most sailings are sold out.

Good luck, happy cruising!

A Guar. Cat is just that.. You shall have any cabin within that Cat. and/or an UpGrade ..maybe.. it does depend upon a lot of things..

1.) Total Dollars Spent

1a..) Yes that includes gifts, insurance, land trips etc...

2.) Who you know...

3.) If the UpGrade Wizard is kind...

4.) But mostly is if the ship is full .. Ships are like floating hotels and what ever the market shall bear to cruise with the largest occupancy rate is the best choice for the CRUISE LINE...

4a.) Remember we are only Passengers paying a small fare of the share...

5.) Having a large group does bring phenominal results..

5a.) Booking a Floor (Thats about 500 Passengers) is best...

6.) 7.) etc...etc...

Like in anything it is a business ..

Cruising is one of the most cost effective ways of travel now...

*WARNING*:p

Once you do it your probably coming back many many times in your life..So use the BoyScout MOTTO:::

Be Prepared!:cool:

Hi All-

I am hoping to get some guidance for some experienced cruisers. My husband and I will be taking our first cruise, upon the Valor in October. The reason for the cruise is a friend of our will be getting married upon the ship.

Being our first cruise, we are pretty clueless. My friend hired a TA, and I have paid for the cruise in full. Everyone else in the group traveling for the wedding, has been given both their booking #'s and Cabin #'s, except for myself. When I questioned the TA about this-she stated something about waiting for an upgrade, and not getting a cabin # until we are upgraded. But yet, according to the bride, no one else in the group has upgraded yet. When I asked the TA about this, this was her response

"Here is the way the crusie business works The upgrades are assigned on supply and demand. They can either assign you a cabin in a certain part of the deck, mid ship, aft or front of the ship. If they do that, they will not automatically upgrade you to a higher deck. If it isno problem what part of the ship you are in, and you have a guarantee cabin, then when it is about month before sailing and all final balances have been paid, they will put you in the best room that is still unsold on the cruise. You paid for a 4c inside room that is up on deck six. If there was another inside room available on ahigher deck, they would assign you the room on the higher deck. If you want to make sure you are exactly near where Amy and Nick are staying, then I can get you a room assignment right now. The cabin has nothing to do with the cost of the room. It has to do with whether or not you are eligible for an upgrade before you get on the ship. You can always go to the guest services desk and request an upgrade when you get on the ship, but there is no guarantee that the ship will not already be sold out."

Again, I apoligize for being unknowledgeable. but I'm not sure what to do now. I've been debating contacting Carnival, but I'm not sure if they could explain or do anything for me at all...

I would question the fact that you don't have a booking number. Also - did the charge on your credit card come from the travel agent or Carnival? It should be directly from Carnival even though you booked through a TA. You should still have a booking number - even if you booked a guarantee room where your number isn't assigned.

I would demand a booking number from the travel agent. You should have that immediately after booking - unless - and I'm not trying to scare you here - the TA took your money in the agencies name, didn't actually book you, used your money, and is hoping to cover it up when someone else books something down the line and use their money to get you booked.

There are many good, respectable TAs out there and this scheme is rare but does happen. It happened locally in our area where a whole agency went belly up from doing this and we hear stories here on Cruise Critic from time to time where a TA gets caught - such as the ship sells out before they finally make the booking for real with the cruise line.

Sorry to sound so down - you will love cruising!!! We went on our first in 2006 and are hooked - with cruises # 4 and 5 coming up in the next couple of months. :D I was just a little worried when I read you didn't have a booking number - that is not normal. I know a few people that got burned by the TA scheme I mentioned above and many people don't know that the charge should come from Carnival - not the TA.

The guarantee room thing is very common - you have a chance of being upgraded but it is not a sure thing. You will have at least the category you paid for or better. Sometimes you get your assignment a month or two out - other times not until you reach the pier and check in. You can try calling Carnival, but it is their policy not to talk to you if you used a travel agent - you have to go through the agent. If your agent still can't get you a booking number - it might not hurt to call Carnival, get a supervisor, explain the situation, and just have them confirm that you are really booked.

Sorry this is so long - hope you have a wonderful first cruise!

I agree with vacruizer that you should get your booking number. We have a guarantee for our cruise next February and we do have a booking number. If nothing else works, I would call Carnival and talk to a PVP (personal vacation planner). They will ask you if you are working with a TA in which case you can tell them yes and who it is but I think they could get your booking number for you. Not positive, but if your TA won't give it to you, then that is what I would do. As for the guarantee, the posters above are right on the money. You definitely are guaranteed a room in a particular category or an upgrade. Good luck. Travelgirl

Could be right, I have always ahd my cabin when Im boooked. I would suggest phoning Carnival. they are always very helpul when I call, and should be able to answer your questions and put your mind at ease.

Enjoy your cruise.Hi All-

If you are in a group and paid for in the group and booked Gty. then nobodys cabins will be assigned untill after final pymt is made by everyone in that group....

If you paid Seperate from the group and Paid if full with a gty room...then your Cabin will be assigned or should be assigned within 30 days of your cruise date...But with a GTY there is no way of predicting 100% when they will assign it...I have heard storys here on CC that sometimes they dont have a room assignment untill they Get to the Dock.

We booked guaranteed and while we didn't get our room # right away we got a booking # to prove we had a room and our reservation was made.

I agree I would be worried if you do not have a booking # from your TA. But we got ripped off by a relative last year so I'm a little gun shy at this point. We kept getting strung along on why we didn't have our when others did.

Well in the end the reservation was not paid for and we were out of a cruise. We didn't find out until the last minute and it was too late to get more $$ together and rebook.

Get your # ASAP.

I guess I didn't explain myself clearly. I DO have my booking #:o Just no cabin #, which I'm guessing is the way it should be. I was just under the impression that I would get a cabin# when I got the booking#. My confusion is b/c everyone else in the group seems to have both booking AND cabin#'s.

Thanks for your help everyone!!

If you booked a guaranteed room and not a specific room, then you might not get your cabin assignment until you check in the day of sailing. The others in the group may have booked a specific room or be "past guests" of the line and, therefore, received a cabin assignment. I would suggest calling the 800 number for the line and checking your reservation if there are trust issues. They can confirm your reservation and if your cabin has been assigned.

You might also try going on-line to the line's web site and searching by the booking number for more information.

Hope all goes well and you have a wonderful cruise.

I guess I didn't explain myself clearly. I DO have my booking #:o Just no cabin #, which I'm guessing is the way it should be. I was just under the impression that I would get a cabin# when I got the booking#. My confusion is b/c everyone else in the group seems to have both booking AND cabin#'s.

As you have the booking # there should be no problem. It sounds as if the TA is waiting to see if an upgrade is possible before getting a designated room. If upgrade is not important, request the TA to get you a designated room in your gty. category.:cool:

It depends on what the others booked. Did they book specific cabins or guarantees?

Even if all of you booked guarantees, some may get assigned before others. I booked 3 guarantee cabins for my next cruise and one cabin was assigned a month before the other cabins.

You paid for a 4c inside room that is up on deck six. If there was another inside room available on ahigher deck, they would assign you the room on the higher deck. If you want to make sure you are exactly near where Amy and Nick are staying, then I can get you a room assignment right now. The cabin has nothing to do with the cost of the room. It has to do with whether or not you are eligible for an upgrade before you get on the ship. You can always go to the guest services desk and request an upgrade when you get on the ship, but there is no guarantee that the ship will not already be sold out."

Im just a rookie myself, but this doesn't sound right to me. Is there such a thing as booking a 4C guarantee? I thought you could book a Inside Guarantee, meaning inside on any deck. But how can you book a guarantee 4C?????

Im just a rookie myself, but this doesn't sound right to me. Is there such a thing as booking a 4C guarantee? I thought you could book a Inside Guarantee, meaning inside on any deck. But how can you book a guarantee 4C?????

You can do it. You can book a guarantee for any category. You are guaranteed to be assigned in that category at a minimum.

You can do it. You can book a guarantee for any category. You are guaranteed to be assigned in that category at a minimum.

thanks J.D. I dont wanna hijack this thread, but can you tell me how? With the current past guest deal, I can book a cat 4C for the same price as an IS. When I go through the booking on Carnival's website, it only gives me the specific rooms to choose from on the main deck... Do I need to go through a TA?

I think on the pricing page you still have to select the category 4c not the IS guarantee then it is at the bottom below where it asks if you have a specific cabin # you prefer. If there are none for that category then I think the gtys for that category are sold out correct JD?

I just tried it dixiediva- you are correct. I went through the booking process without the promo code, and it allowed me to select a 4C, and a guarantee. When I enter in the promo code, it forces me to select a cabin. I guess they figure they are already giving me a 2-category upgrade and dont want me to get any better than that. LOL

Oh well, can't blame me for trying.

So I guess this is the situation the OP is in- she booked a

4C guarantee. And that means you get a room assignment on Carnival's schedule...

thanks J.D. I dont wanna hijack this thread, but can you tell me how? With the current past guest deal, I can book a cat 4C for the same price as an IS. When I go through the booking on Carnival's website, it only gives me the specific rooms to choose from on the main deck... Do I need to go through a TA?

I think on the pricing page you still have to select the category 4c not the IS guarantee then it is at the bottom below where it asks if you have a specific cabin # you prefer. If there are none for that category then I think the gtys for that category are sold out correct JD?

When you select the category, the option for guarantee booking is at the bottom. It says "Stateroom to be assigned". If it is not there, then it is not available. Like dixiediva said, the guarantees for a category can sell out. I think the little "G" next to the category disappears if no guarantees are available for that category.

Someone with more expertise will have to help you with past guest specials. I've never used one, so I don't know how they work. You may not be able to book a guarantee with a PGS. I don't know.

Archived