Electrical and Internet

StLouisCruisingGuys

Can anyone tell us what to expect as far as number and configuration of the electrical outlets in Journey Balcony Cabins? (We are in a Fore Sunset Verandah which is pretty much a standard cabin, not a suite.) Are standard US Flat Prong outlets accepted?

Also, we'll be using the internet. Were common email or web access relatively quick or does it take 3-minutes to send an email with a picture attached.

We are assembing our 'technology' now prepping to leave for Copenhagen on Friday.

Thanks for any info.

B & C

Can anyone tell us what to expect as far as number and configuration of the electrical outlets in Journey Balcony Cabins? (We are in a Fore Sunset Verandah which is pretty much a standard cabin, not a suite.) Are standard US Flat Prong outlets accepted?

Also, we'll be using the internet. Were common email or web access relatively quick or does it take 3-minutes to send an email with a picture attached.

We are assembing our 'technology' now prepping to leave for Copenhagen on Friday.

Thanks for any info.

B & C

Hi StLouis !

There are standard US outlets in the cabins.... but from what I recall, there arent many of them. I recommend taking along an extension plug or 2.

As for the internet, there is in cabin service, and an internet cafe. We didnt have much luck with the internet on Quest. In fairness, I was on the first sailing. Recent reports are much better, but do not expect lightning fast speeds. I would say it is somewhat faster than a Dial Up connection. I wouldnt count on sending too many photos in your email, as that will cost you a great deal of internet usage.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Enjoy your Cruise !

Hi StLouis !

There are standard US outlets in the cabins.... but from what I recall, there arent many of them. I recommend taking along an extension plug or 2.

As for the internet, there is in cabin service, and an internet cafe. We didnt have much luck with the internet on Quest. In fairness, I was on the first sailing. Recent reports are much better, but do not expect lightning fast speeds. I would say it is somewhat faster than a Dial Up connection. I wouldnt count on sending too many photos in your email, as that will cost you a great deal of internet usage.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Enjoy your Cruise !

When you say there is in-room internet service, does that mean you take your own laptop? We;re sailing July 19th on Quest. Thanks, Jan

OK guys -

below is a picture of the outlets above the desk in cabin 6093.

As to Internet Access: We crossed on Quest from Miami to Rome last month. I was using my (Wi-Fi enabled) iPod touch, was able to log-on and send one email, and I bought the $40 Internet package. After that I got stuck in a loop: User Name, Password, enter, back to the same page: Username, Password, enter, ad infinitum. Talked to the guy in the Internet Café a couple of times and got blown off. "Must be the iPod" was his reply. Sure. He just couldn't be bothered. Got my $40 bucks back, that's all. Got off at every stop in the Med looking for Internet Cafés. Found several, but none with Wi-Fi. The only one I found was in Ponta Delgada in the Azores (7 Euro per hour with a scratch-off card.) I pre-wrote all my emails, which were then stored in the Out box until I connected. Once online, it took just 5-10 mins to exchange all emails. In Germany our hotel had a T-Mobile HotSpot, which worked beautifully, even on the ICE (Intercity Express) at 120+ mph.

Andy -

It seems that the service has not improved since your cruise.

406854436_QuestOutlets.jpg.107289491de2efbd38ee88c328c019f5.jpg

Juergen,

Thanks for the info, especially the picture! We'll have an extention cord and an outlet strip with us.

Maybe we can hope that the Journey is better set with the technology than the Quest...otherwise, we'll just use the internet cafes as well.

Best...

B&C

When you say there is in-room internet service, does that mean you take your own laptop? We;re sailing July 19th on Quest. Thanks, Jan

Hi Jan !

Yes, you can probably bring it. I always bring my laptop. As I said, I had some issues on our sailing in October, but I am confident it has been resolved by now.

Enjoy your Cruise !

Hi Guys,

Please confirm what conversion plug I need to bring along from Aus, as the photo seems to show that there are two outlets that take the European Type C, being two small round pins, is this correct as I have to bring a Type C along for Spain post cruise, and it would be simpler if I only need to take one???:)

Thanks, Bruce

You have to dig through the web site to get to this...its in the FAQs which are at the bottom of the pages.

http://www.azamaracruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000I1p3epjqgm05r-E-MhwRN-j:12odmems6?faqSubjectName=Internet+Access&faqId=515&pagename=faq_answers

faq_answers_hdr.gif

spacer.gif

Do you have Internet access onboard?

Subject: Internet Access

Azamara Journey and Azamara Quest are both fully wireless, including staterooms.

Internet access is available in eConnections at the following rates:

•$0.65 cents a minute with no package•$40 for 75 minutes•$$60 for 125 minutes•$80 for 185 minutes•$100 for 260 minutes

Microsoft Word & Microsoft Excel instructional classes plus tips and tricks on how to surf the internet are complimentary.

Bruce -

I don't know what type my little adaptor (for Germany) is, but it fits snugly into those round holes on the left. And so does my Motorola charger that I had to buy in Germany because I had left mine here at home, duh. Spain should be the same, no?

Hi Juergen,

Do you reckon this is the one that will fit those two outlets on the left of your photo?

TYPE C: (used in all countries of Europe except the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus and Malta)

This two-wire plug is ungrounded and has two round prongs. It is popularly known as the europlug which is described in CEE 7/16. This is probably the single most widely used international plug. It will mate with any socket that accepts 4.0-4.8 mm round contacts on 19 mm centres. The plug is generally limited for use in class II applications that require 2.5 amps or less. It is, of course, unpolarised. It is commonly used in all countries of Europe except the United Kingdom and Ireland. It is also used in various parts of the developing world. Whereas type C plugs are very commonly used, this is not the case for type C sockets. This kind of socket is the older and ungrounded variant of socket types E, F, J, K and L. Nowadays most countries demand grounded sockets to be installed in new buildings. Since type C sockets are ungrounded, they are currently being phased out in many countries and replaced by type E, F, J, K or L (depending on the country). A type C plug fits perfectly into a type E, F, J, K or L socket.

Regards, Bruce

1770078517_TypeCPlug2.jpg.c02a4dfda89f0b7b5fc25a2d5479aeda.jpg

J, thanks mate, any reductions by way of less items in the bag is a blessing, given we are only allowed 20Kg’s, so every savings in weight, no matter how small, counts big time.:)

Regards, Bruce

Juergen,

We bring our MacBook every cruise, and we, too, initially experienced that endless loop with the username/password routine. Ultimately, we determined that the problem was with the browser we were using to access the internet. Apparently, Safari did not work (at least at that time, back in 2007), but Camino (Firefox) did. Hope this helps. We now have both browsers on our desktop, just in case.

We are considering the 1/3/09 Panama Canal on Journey as our first Azamara experience.

Marty

Archived