Any Suggestions Which Cruise To Take

My friends and I (mid-20s) are looking to take a cruise this August (The 16th and 17th sailings). We are from New Jersey, but the lack of port time on the Miracle is a major drawback to us. Currently we seem to be considering 3 Carnival cruises (and 1 RCCL though it appears mostly soldout).

I think we have it down to 2 main choices: the Valor heading to Cayman, Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel; along with the Triumph going to CocoCay, San Juan, St. Thomas, and Grand Turk. Additionally the Glory to Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Marteen is also in discussion.

I read here the Triumph was heading to dry dock in Sept so I was thinking that could affect quality. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions which would be the best bet in general and in particular for a smallish group around 25 years old. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Be careful cruising in August. Last year we were supposed to go to Cozumel but due too a hurricane we were diverted to Key West and Freeport Bahamas. We’ve been to both numerous times as we live in Florida. No more cruising during hurricane season for us.

I won't cruise in August anymore because of storms. Last two cruises ALL our ports were changed. On the Legend supposed to go to San Juan, St. Thomas and St John ended up in Nassau, Freeport and Port Canavarale. UGH with a storm behind us in each port, everything was being boarded up....it was horrible, then I did it again two years later on RCI, was supposed to go to Key West, Belize and Cozamel ended up at Cozamel for 18 hours and RCIs Island.

No more August cruises for me!

BTW, neither cruise line did nothing, not even a drink on the house!

:D

My friends and I (mid-20s) are looking to take a cruise this August (The 16th and 17th sailings). We are from New Jersey, but the lack of port time on the Miracle is a major drawback to us. Currently we seem to be considering 3 Carnival cruises (and 1 RCCL though it appears mostly soldout).

I think we have it down to 2 main choices: the Valor heading to Cayman, Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel; along with the Triumph going to CocoCay, San Juan, St. Thomas, and Grand Turk. Additionally the Glory to Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Marteen is also in discussion.

I read here the Triumph was heading to dry dock in Sept so I was thinking that could affect quality. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions which would be the best bet in general and in particular for a smallish group around 25 years old. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Are you first time cruisers? Only reason I ask is that although the ports are great, you may find that the ship is the main attraction and port days are icing on the cake :D I have not had any bad experience even when ports change due to weather. It can happen at any time of year btw, just goes with the territory.

It is such a personal choice, the eastern and western sailings are special in different ways. The western (Mexico/Belize) has always been my favorite, but this past January we did Glory eastern and I enjoyed St Thomas and St Maarten so much!!

If you go over to the ports of call area and read about the ports it will help, and there are pics there too. Also, the member review area for the ships you are considering will give you a detailed description of those sailings.

No matter what you choose it will be an experience to remember, enjoy!:D

One of us will be a first time cruiser but he also has never been out of the NE. Otherwise we have someone who has done the Triumph before, another who has done the Miracle, and I have done RCCL, Celebrity and Premeir.

along with the Triumph going to CocoCay, San Juan, St. Thomas, and Grand Turk

Carnival Triumph doesn't go to CoCoCay?

I'd pick CCL Glory to lessen your chances of "hurricane season" issues. Flying to Florida and then crossing from Eastern Caribbean to Western Caribbean on the Valor puts you through 2 "hot" hurricane areas!

Please don't make a cruise decision based on the ports...during hurricane season! There's a really good chance that you might not make it to all of them even in good weather!

Also, you might be surprised to find out that the sea days are REALLY WONDERFUL. I know that my family prefers to have more sea days rather than port days (and I have 2 tween boys.)

For your age range, I'd pick Valor. Just my opinion, but I think there'd be more to do at those ports for you guys.

Also, Valor is newer than Triumph.

Yes....it is H season so you can't count on the ports. But, for me, that's just part of the fun of cruising.....could get a surprise port or two!

We are in the same boat (pun intended). We are a family of four from NJ who are looking at those cruises for the week of July 26-27. We did the Explorer of the Sea two years ago, and leaving at of Bayonne was great. Left the house at 10:30 and was on the buffet line by 12:15. But that ship has gotten very expensive. As did Caribbean Princess. We considered the Miracle, but that itinerary didn't float our boat (LOL)So we are looking to Carnival in Florida. Squeezing the four of us into a single cabin doesn’t work anymore Mom, Dad, Son (22), Daughter (17) so we have a boys room and a girls room for the last couple of trips . We have decided on the Triumph on a Western swing to get the most bang for our buck. We got two level upgrades, previous passenger rates and $100 off each cabin with coupons from the "Entertainment" books. Even with the higher plane fares it seems to be the best deal out there by far.

Dolphin 1982

Norway 1984

Elation 2000

Enchantment of the Sea 2003

Disney Wonder 2004

Explorer of the Sea 2006

Carnival Triumph 2008

I was just reading the thread and was going to ask if you'd considered Legend.

I was going to book her after sailing the Miracle, but ended up on Glory last week.

I still prefer the Spirit-class ships.

There are plenty of other things to do in Coz other than sit in a bar and get plastered. :p

Although you're a young group, you may actually be interested in the ports (like my 22yo DD, and your original post sounds like you are).

I recommend going to the Ports of Call boards for those ports and doing some reading about the various excursions. We booked independent excursions in the 3 ports we have in common - Playa Uvas in Cozumel, private taxi in Roatan through Roatan Cab Tours, and cave tubing in Belize with Major Tom (cave-tubing dot net (not dot com)).

All were excellent.

Enjoy! I hope to do that cruise some day.

Archived