Transatlantic Cruises

diligaf51

We crossed Mar 08, Miami to Barcelona, on Oceania's Regatta, a sister to the Azamara ships.

We did have relatively smooth seas, and it was fine. We had a much rougher crossing the Atlantic on the almost three times as large Golden Princess, Venice to NYC, 8-02.

We crossed the North Sea, also on Regatta, 8-05, and it was relatively smooth.

We have also crossed the Tasman Sea (with a reputation for being rough) on Pacific Princess 11-03, another sister ship, and it was fine there also.

Not sure I would want to be aboard trying to outrun a typhoon in the China Sea, as we did on the little Golden Odyssey, a 10,000 tonner, 11-86. That was very rough, with green water over the bridge, screws out of the water, inclinometer pegged, etc.

Bottom line, sea state, weather, and ride on open waters is a "crap shoot".

I agree with Druke..have taken 3 TA and LOVED every one. We had rough weather on one crossing for one day..I would do another in a heartbeat!

You will love Azamara the ships, service entertainment and food are better and better every cruise!

Jancruz1

diligaf51 -

We too have have crossed the Atlantic three times on an R-ship: Twice on Oceania's Regatta and last month on Azamara Quest. Next March we'll cross on Azamara Journey, as always, in a stern cabin. If you are self-sufficient and can entertain yourself during the sea days, you'll be fine. When was the last time your ship was tied up in downtown? See picture. Azamara Quest in Mahon on Menorca. Try doing that with one of the new behemoths.

1262519169_QuestinMahon-1.jpg.017cfae9251fa1a3bfdb6cc41c6bf629.jpg

Hi, My wife and myself have booked the 14 night transatlantic eastbound cruise on 11 April 2010. We have never done one , but we look at it as an 7 day all inclusive and a 7 day cruise. It only cost $960.00 to reserve it till 31 Jan 2010, why not. I have started a roll call for it.

We just did the crossing on the Quest from Miami to Civitavecchia (Rome). We had a couple of days with some waves and rain but the Quest handled it well. We were at sea for 6 days and I wasn't bored for one minute. The food was excellent and the staff bent over backwards to keep us happy. I'm ready to go again.:D :D :D

Garry

We just did the crossing on the Quest from Miami to Civitavecchia (Rome). We had a couple of days with some waves and rain but the Quest handled it well. We were at sea for 6 days and I wasn't bored for one minute. The food was excellent and the staff bent over backwards to keep us happy. I'm ready to go again.:D :D :D

Garry

Garry, we shouldnt tell everyone how great the TA's are..everyone will want to go..it is the best deal in town! LOL

Jancruz1

Garry, we shouldnt tell everyone how great the TA's are..everyone will want to go..it is the best deal in town! LOL

Jancruz1

Oh you're right! Shhhhhhh:rolleyes: :D

Garry

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone

We are considering the transatlantic march 2009 cruise Miami to Barcelona....this will be our first time on Azamara and a transatlantic so we are hoping for some tips.

We thought a deck 4 oceanview stateroom would be a good idea as it will be lower down on the ship and also something in the middle of the ship so it should be more stable ...any suggestions on room numbers..?...we don't want a connecting room as we have been told you can hear everything from next door (and they can hear us..!!)...but will take advice from you lot.

Also is there plenty to do on the days at sea if it's not sunbathing weather...?

We usually go all inclusive in the Med or Caribbean (SeaDream, SeaBourn or Regent) but they seem to be pricing themselves out of the market at the mo and although I've read that Azamara's drinks can be pricey we feel that the difference in price will mean that we can drink well and still be in pocket.

Finally is it better to book now or wait till next year to book..?

Hope someone out there can help.

xH

Hi Helen -

We booked the very same cruise for 2009 AND 2010. This far ahead of the crossing there are plenty of cabins to choose from. There are only two balcony cabins we are interested in, aft on deck 6. We booked exactly what we wanted at a price we are willing to pay. We are happy. Since we will be spending quite some time on the ship, we do want a good-size balcony to expand our living space.

We don't get sea sick and cannot attest to whether it is indeed more stable down below and in the center. In addition to our two bottles of sherry that we bring on board, we usually drink two or three bottles of wine and a few beers during the cruise. So can't comment on that either.

We have done five transatlantics so far, with three more booked. Two were on big ships (NCL), the rest on the little guys (Oceanina and Azamara). Love those little R-ships. We have yet to be bored on a crossing.

801043896_Questbalcony.jpg.4d1be6c21d55857330b88df2a3d20e37.jpg

Archived