Beach Clubs: Best Value 4 Food/Drinks??

Duck Down

If you are looking for quality-for-the-price-value, nothing beats Paradise Beach. If you want quantity-for-the-price-value, both Nachi Cocom and Playa Mia (formerly Playa Sol) have buffets. Personally I'll take the food at Paradise over any other beach club any day! On the casual end, a plate of nachos is more than I can eat, with plenty of chicken and beef. A more elegant dish is the shrimp with pasta and a light pesto. Last time I had it, I counted 13 large shrimp. It was more than enough to split between myself and our favorite PB host.

Provecho! (Bon Appetit) How do you say that in English?

Tom,

Please tell me that you are still going to have your cheeseburger. I really enjoyed my Cheeseburger in Paradise last summer.

See you again in November. Just one day rather than our usual whole week. However I'd rather have one day in Cozumel than none!

Judy

Here's a posting I found on the subject over in Epinions.com -- hope it helps ...

Buen Provecho. A simple, two-word phrase that the English language does not seem to be able to cope with. Not only there is no literal translation, but all equivalents fall short as well. Pity, really, especially if you consider that most other languages have their own version of the expression. "Guten Appetit," say the Germans. "Bon Appetit" is the French term. Smaller languages are not left behind, either. Slovak, which is spoken by fewer people than there is English-speakers in the New York metro area say "Dobru chut." It all means the same - wishing that the person you told it to finds the meal tasty, pleasing and enjoyable. Even beneficial, were we to follow the literal translation of "provecho". As it happens, English is the only major language that does not have such a phrase.

I prefer to use buen provecho despite the fact that I know nothing more in Spanish, while I am fluent in four other languages that use similar terms. Of all the phrases I know, this one has probably the most honest meaning. Some equivalents have become very automatic. For example, how many times did you really wish a person had a pleasant morning when you said "good morning"? Not often, I would guess. By the same token, in some languages wishing somebody a tasty meal has become similarly habitual, and is being used as a greeting when you join others at their meal. This is not the case with buen provecho, though. When you say it, you really mean it. You really wish that the other person's meal tastes good, whether it is somebody who shares the table with you or a complete stranger.

Perhaps you could also recommend some clubs on the East coast of Cozumel as well ... I'm renting a Jeep and going around the island when we visit in December ... thanks!

Playa Bonita and Chen Rio have beautiful beaches. Coconuts has an awesome view!

Please be aware that although there are long stretches of white, sandy beach on the east side of the island, please swim ONLY at the established beach clubs. The currents and undertow can take you on an unscheduled trip to Cuba. Be safe. Walk the beaches, swim at the beach clubs.

Thanks, Sally ... I've been reading quite a few of your posts and really value your opinions, so this helps greatly.

We're not intending on doing more than getting our feet "wet" so swimming is not a concern for us. ... we're just sightseeing really. Our goal is to get off the beaten path and try to see as much of the island as is reasonably possible in one day while still maintaining a "relaxed" pace. We're trying to see as much of the "non-tourist" aspects -- which means as much of the "natural" and historical Cozumel -- as we can. The more I research this island, the more I realize that a full week is probably not enough to see and do everything we would like to, so we have to choose carefully this time around. Oh well -- there's always the next vacation!

Again, thanks for your advice, Sally!

You hit the nail on the head, Bruce! It's probably the main reason I spend so much time answering questions. The object of the game is to show you the very best time in Cozumel, so that you WILL return for a week. Frankly, there are just too many choices in Cozumel to cram it all into at most 12 hours. Come on down and let every day of your vacation be as good as the best hours of your cruise!

Sally, you are accomplishing your goal and more! My first visit to Cozumel will be November 10th. I have fallen in love with the place through these boards and fully realize that we cannot possible explore enough in the short day we have there. My husband and I are already talking about coming down for a week. And one year ago I didn't know Cozumel even existed! And you've allowed us to love the kids of Cozumel through the Chrysalis program...my three backpacs are all packed inside each other with the school supplies inside-in fact I'm thinking we may just make that a totally separate piece of luggage. Can't wait to visit.......

Tom, your newspaper goes in that backpac too.....plasma TV's don't fit-anything else we can bring for you.... Sally anything you need? We'd love to bring something just to thank you for all the time you spend answering our multiple, repetitive questions!

Well.... since you asked... the brochures for my new business will be ready shortly (mexican time!) and I have been unable to find brochure holders here or in Cancun. The kind I prefer look like this:

http://www.brochure-holders-online.com/c104.htm

and are available at Staples, Office Max and Office Depot. I have a few coming down with some friends, but a few more would be most welcome! They can be dropped at the Cozumel Minigolf or at Paradise Beach, marked "Chrysalis: Sally" Be sure to add the "Sally" part, so they don't end up in a Chrysalis yard sale!

Many thanks from me personally and on behalf of the children of Cozumel!

CozSally...You mean I'm NOT your fave PB host?!?!?! :(

txadmin2...no worries, our 1/2 lb Certified Angus Burger is a big seller, and will make the cut! Hasta Noviembre!

Orleanstar...thanx for posting the Buen Provecho thingy...interesting!

vanclan...see ya soon, and thanx again!

Got 2 brochure holders today, when I get my bags packed I'll see if there is room for any more. Will drop them at Paradise Beach on Wed Nov 10th, marked as you indicated. Probably no time for a massage this trip....but as I mentioned previously we're hoping to come back for a week....and maybe then we can come and patronize your new business! Sight unseen, I've already recommended you to someone looking for a good massage in Cozumel.

You might consider taking in the Cozumel museum while you are here. It is small but has some very good artifacts, photos and info. It is located along the main road at 6th (or is it 4th...). Light yellow building on the corner.

Caro

Solita - thanks for the tip -- I had read that it was worth a stop, so you've just confirmed it for me - appreciated!

Sally and PB Tom -- I'm very interested in your work with Chrysalis (I found the link for it through Sally's site) -- this looks like a very worthwhile effort and it seems to me that by making a small contribution in some way, tourists like me can give a little bit back to the residents of Coz for our "take" of the island. At the very least, it's something for the time and effort you both seem to put into this site in helping newbies to the island with limited time (like me!) find their way to the best Coz has to offer .

In that regard, I just picked up some scientific calculators which I intend to drop off during my visit December 9th to Coz.

ALSO I was also thinking about how it might be more practical for others who don't want to get that involved, but may still like to kick some $ towards the project. One possibility is if you each set up an icon on your respective business websites (so you keep it off these boards) where people could click and donate $5 (whatever) to Chrysalis through the services of something like PayPal. BY using this type of intermediary, there would be little risk to either party and you might find youselves getting a fair bit of $$ to fund your school supply purchases.

Just a thought

All the best!

Scott

Archived