automatic tipping on carnival

msberrios

First off, I am not removing auto tips. I leave them on and I tip extra to those who deserve it. That being said, I cannot find an "official source" that says Carnival pools tips from people who did not auto tip. I have found articles that say just the opposite. Like this one.

Mike, this article talks to NORMAL tipping. But makes no mention of what happens in the abnormal situation.

on CARNIVAL:

Yes, if auto-tips are left in place, tips are NOT pooled and the workers get all of the amount designated for them plus can keep all cash over tips without reporting it.

I have no proof, but I do believe the workers are questioned as to why an auto-tip was removed and can believe that any cash received then must be turned in.[good security procedures alone would require that.] And how better could a worker explain that they did no wrong than to show that the customer tipped them in cash?

Dan

I'm glad it works out for you, but the OP was not asking how everyone else feels about removing them, they asked if they could, and the answer is YES.

The only reason that these sort of questions cause a backlash is because of people needing to express their opinions about why someone wants to do something, instead of just answering the question.

The OP is an adult and can do as they wish whether other posters like it or not.

Cheers,

Peter

May I cite your authority when I wish to remove my hotel and restaurant SERVICE CHARGES while in London, "To tip in cash?"

Dan

Mike, this article talks to NORMAL tipping. But makes no mention of what happens in the abnormal situation.

on CARNIVAL:

Yes, if auto-tips are left in place, tips are NOT pooled and the workers get all of the amount designated for them plus can keep all cash over tips without reporting it.

I have no proof, but I do believe the workers are questioned as to why an auto-tip was removed and can believe that any cash received then must be turned in.[good security procedures alone would require that.] And how better could a worker explain that they did no wrong than to show that the customer tipped them in cash?

Dan

To me it broke it down for each scenario, either auto tipping or direct tipping. I'm not sure what you mean by "normal tipping". I'm not saying this article is gospel by any means. It's just the first thing I've seen that was more than an "I heard from so and so". I'd rather not take the chance of shorting anyone and I'll keep my tips on my account. From what I've read on CC it seems most problems with poor service can be nipped in the bud as soon as it happens with a trip to the pursers desk or the maitre d or who ever would handle the situation. And I'll tip extra in cash for those who deserve it.

I have asked our servers on the Freedom about tipping. Indeed, they do get the amount. $3 for head waiter, $2.50 for assistant I think. When I tip them a bit more, I always tell them it is extra and they can actually keep the mpney themselves.

I people realize how hard these people work, they deserve the tip. So please do not consider removing the tip. If you experience an issue, discuss with the purser when the issue come up. If you are unhappy about the cruise, (i.e. with the activities, the shows, the quality of food, etc.) please do not punish the servers or stewards.

To me it broke it down for each scenario, either auto tipping or direct tipping. I'm not sure what you mean by "normal tipping". I'm not saying this article is gospel by any means. It's just the first thing I've seen that was more than an "I heard from so and so". I'd rather not take the chance of shorting anyone and I'll keep my tips on my account. From what I've read on CC it seems most problems with poor service can be nipped in the bud as soon as it happens with a trip to the pursers desk or the maitre d or who ever would handle the situation. And I'll tip extra in cash for those who deserve it.

From your link:

clearpixel.gif

Who Gets What? clearpixel.gif

Question:

When a guest provides tipping via his on-board account, going along with the line's suggested amounts, do those amounts go only to the people on the list, or is part of the total siphoned off for other personnel?

Carnival: On the first night of the voyage, guests receive a letter explaining the distribution of the suggested tip amounts ($10 per person per day divided between cabin steward, dining room staff, etc.) and are made aware of what amount goes to whom. They are also advised that they have discretion as to the amounts and the distribution of the tips themselves.

Direct Tipping clearpixel.gif

Question:

When a guest gives cash directly to a crew member, is that person required to report that they have received the money, including how much they got and from whom?

Carnival: No. Shipboard employees can keep all cash gratuities without reporting it.

Holland America: If a guest asks that the amount on the folio be removed so tipping can be done directly, the steward, waiters, etc. are required to report that amount for pooled tips (but most guests keep tips on the bill).

The "who gets what" and the direct tipping Q&A's both seem to be about normal procedures.

The HAL statement is what I would have liked Carnival to address.

Plus the questions are being answered in best Public Relations form.

So while I don't believe this link answers the question, it certainly doesn't say I'm right either.

Dan

From your link:

clearpixel.gif

Who Gets What? clearpixel.gif

Question:

When a guest provides tipping via his on-board account, going along with the line's suggested amounts, do those amounts go only to the people on the list, or is part of the total siphoned off for other personnel?

Carnival: On the first night of the voyage, guests receive a letter explaining the distribution of the suggested tip amounts ($10 per person per day divided between cabin steward, dining room staff, etc.) and are made aware of what amount goes to whom. They are also advised that they have discretion as to the amounts and the distribution of the tips themselves.

Direct Tipping clearpixel.gif

Question:

When a guest gives cash directly to a crew member, is that person required to report that they have received the money, including how much they got and from whom?

Carnival: No. Shipboard employees can keep all cash gratuities without reporting it.

Holland America: If a guest asks that the amount on the folio be removed so tipping can be done directly, the steward, waiters, etc. are required to report that amount for pooled tips (but most guests keep tips on the bill).

The "who gets what" and the direct tipping Q&A's both seem to be about normal procedures.

The HAL statement is what I would have liked Carnival to address.

Plus the questions are being answered in best Public Relations form.

So while I don't believe this link answers the question, it certainly doesn't say I'm right either.

Dan

Dan,

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at. I'm not disagreeing with you, just not sure of the point you are trying to make. This is very likely my fault because my wife tell me I'm thick all the time. :) What I'm reading is telling you what happens if you auto tip and what happens if you don't auto tip and pay the tips directly.

:p

I have asked our servers on the Freedom about tipping. Indeed, they do get the amount. $3 for head waiter, $2.50 for assistant I think. When I tip them a bit more, I always tell them it is extra and they can actually keep the mpney themselves.

I people realize how hard these people work, they deserve the tip. So please do not consider removing the tip. If you experience an issue, discuss with the purser when the issue come up. If you are unhappy about the cruise, (i.e. with the activities, the shows, the quality of food, etc.) please do not punish the servers or stewards.

I strongly agree with you, they all deserve the tip, not that much but they work so hard 14 to 16 hrs a day or may be more 7days a week and work straigt 7 months and take off 3months to go home see their family with no paid vacation they did not get pay by hrs or by days their salary only 200 - 300 / monthly they depend on our tip from their services I am 100% sure want to tip them extra they work so hard keep our rooms clean and our dining room clean and look good with a lot off good food ( just got back from cruise ) had a talk with the cabin steward and staff in dining room and pool area, they came direct from Thailand and Malaysia majority they work hard to support their families.

Can I opt out of the automatic tipping that carnival has?

Yes, you can!

May I cite your authority when I wish to remove my hotel and restaurant SERVICE CHARGES while in London, "To tip in cash?"

Dan

What does this thread have to do with your service charges/tips in London?

Also, all those that feel sorry for crew members, because you have determined that they are from third world countries, and do not make enough to send home........................... Do a little math! People should not be tipping because they feel sorry for someone, they should be tipping because they provided a good service. The mere words automatic tipping do not go together.. if they are "automatically earned" then they are not tips/gratuities.

Dan,

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at. I'm not disagreeing with you, just not sure of the point you are trying to make. This is very likely my fault because my wife tell me I'm thick all the time. :) What I'm reading is telling you what happens if you auto tip and what happens if you don't auto tip and pay the tips directly.

If I leave the auto-tip in place [Carnival Only] and give my room steward an xtra $20.00. HE/she can keep all of it and report it to no one. That is direct tipping and I agree with that. But Carnival did not specifically answer the question of what happens if the auto-tips are removed. That is pure direct tipping and I think Carnival evaded that answer with the direct tipping answer they gave.

While HAL [a sister line, but free to have their own policies] did address the auto-tip removal issue. And the worker DOES NOT get to keep the cash tip on HAL when the auto-tip has been removed. I think Carnival does the same but evaded the question.

And I'd guess you're only as thick as my writing is convoluted.

Dan

If I leave the auto-tip in place [Carnival Only] and give my room steward an xtra $20.00. HE/she can keep all of it and report it to no one. That is direct tipping and I agree with that. But Carnival did not specifically answer the question of what happens if the auto-tips are removed. That is pure direct tipping and I think Carnival evaded that answer with the direct tipping answer they gave.

While HAL [a sister line, but free to have their own policies] did address the auto-tip removal issue. And the worker DOES NOT get to keep the cash tip on HAL when the auto-tip has been removed. I think Carnival does the same but evaded the question.

And I'd guess you're only as thick as my writing is convoluted.

Dan

Ok Dan. I see what you are saying now. I don't think we'll ever get a concrete answer on this. I don't know if thats by "defect or design".

i realize our tips will be included on our s&s card but can anyone tell me exactly how much will be charged? we are going for 8 days 2 in one cabin 4 in another.want to make sure i have enough on our credit card.thanks for any help:)

i realize our tips will be included on our s&s card but can anyone tell me exactly how much will be charged? we are going for 8 days 2 in one cabin 4 in another.want to make sure i have enough on our credit card.thanks for any help:)

$10.00 per day per person in room

$10.00 X 6 X 8 =$480.00

Because some people still like to tip the people themselves. Other wise it seems like a mandated service fee and not a tip. I still tip the waitress/waiters at home cash in person too;)

Personally . . . and this is just my "personal" opinion. I think there would be a lot less "confusion" and debate if Carnival just increased their fare by $70.00 per person for a week's cruise . . . and raise the salary of their employees accordingly. If someone was satisfied with the service . . . great. If not, sorry . . . try another ship or another cruise line. And . . . if someone thought a crew member went above and beyond what was expected . . . they could tip accordingly. For some passengers to pay the "automatic tip" and then give an additional tip seems to me as if we are making up for those that give no tips and have the automatic tips deducted.

I like the idea someone mentioned about putting a tip in the mouth of all those cute little towel animals our stewards make for us . . . I also like the idea of envelopes being left in the cabin to tip those that make our cruise extra special. I don't like having tips automatically added to my fare when I know some deduct them and don't reward exceptional service and others go with the automatic tip and then tip more for exceptional service.

Again, this is just my personal opinion . . . .

Peterv and I have a running "game" in re: American tips vs. UK service charges. On another thread, he stated that I am free to remove the service charges in restaurants and hotels in England. I no not if he is telling me true or playing a joke on me. No matter, I look at the service charges the same as auto-tips. Since I'm going to tip anyway, I do not care what form the tips take. But if the service charges are truly voluntary, that's good to know should I ever receive poor service.

Dan

:eek:

Yes, you can!

Also, all those that feel sorry for crew members, because you have determined that they are from third world countries, and do not make enough to send home........................... Do a little math! People should not be tipping because they feel sorry for someone, they should be tipping because they provided a good service. The mere words automatic tipping do not go together.. if they are "automatically earned" then they are not tips/gratuities.

my personally feeling is : feel sorry for those peoples who do not want to tip someone( not for only the workers from another country) that included AMERICAN WORKERS who provide a good services they should deserve what they work for.... my opinion carnival put tip automatically in sail card that a very good idea to prevent some other peoples is so stiff on tip...:D

Personally . . . and this is just my "personal" opinion. I think there would be a lot less "confusion" and debate if Carnival just increased their fare by $70.00 per person for a week's cruise . . . and raise the salary of their employees accordingly..

They won't do this for the same reason the base cruise fare does not include taxes, port fees, fuel surcharges etc. They pay commission to TA's based on fare amount but not on taxes & fees so gratuities will always be an extra line item on an invoice so Carnival doesn't have to pay out commission on it.

I can recall a couple of times before the auto tips started when our tablemates just would not show up for dinner the last night.

On one of our very first cruises we were seated at dinner with 2 other couples who were from a fairly large city in New York. The two male halfs of the couples were cops in the town they were from and we had enjoyed sharing a couple of excursions with them. Not only did these people end up being rude they were stupid enough to tell us the night before the last night the reason why they were not coming to dinner the last night. They did not want to tip even tho the service had been exceptional. Needless to say our opinion of these "fine" young police officers's dropped like a sack of rocks.

Even 10 years later everytime I hear something about this town's police force I remember the 2 cheapskates they have on their force and just shake my head.

IMO-if you can't afford to leave a tip for good service you probably need to stay home.

Personally . . . and this is just my "personal" opinion. I think there would be a lot less "confusion" and debate if Carnival just increased their fare by $70.00 per person for a week's cruise . . . and raise the salary of their employees accordingly. If someone was satisfied with the service . . . great. If not, sorry . . . try another ship or another cruise line. And . . . if someone thought a crew member went above and beyond what was expected . . . they could tip accordingly. For some passengers to pay the "automatic tip" and then give an additional tip seems to me as if we are making up for those that give no tips and have the automatic tips deducted.

We are talking about TIPS. Not salaries. Including the money in the cruise fare would be the elimination of tips, since it would no longer be adjustable or voluntary. Plus it would need to be MORE than $70.00 as they pay TA's on the cruise fare. And then the boards would be alive with complaints about poor service. And those complaints would come from the same people that complain about tipping now. And those same cheapos, no longer able to stiff the help, would become even more outrageously demanding of the help. Their whining would be a din.

The present system is the best, most effective, and fairest, that I have seen in many decades of cruising. The old, "cash in the envelope," resulted in approx. 50% stiffing the help. In the era of multi new ship building and the need for thousands of new servers, the old ways were impossible. Its good now, best just ignore the complainers, they're just looking for a way to not tip anyhow.

Dan

Peterv and I have a running "game" in re: American tips vs. UK service charges. On another thread, he stated that I am free to remove the service charges in restaurants and hotels in England. I no not if he is telling me true or playing a joke on me. No matter, I look at the service charges the same as auto-tips. Since I'm going to tip anyway, I do not care what form the tips take. But if the service charges are truly voluntary, that's good to know should I ever receive poor service.

Dan

Hey thanks for that. I re-read my question, and thought.. ugh that sounds kinda rude, rather than an actual question.. I am glad you realized it was an actual question.

I think tips should be included it the fare. Increase it by whatever it needs to be in order for the crew to be paid fairly.

I love all inclusive cruises - the crew is happy and I don't have to get involved in thinking about their families and how they support them. I don't ask about my meat cutter's family and financial well being, I don't ask about my bakery manager's family and financial well being, I don't ask my lawn service guy about his family and financial well being - and I certainly don't ask my room steward either. I don't get why this even becomes a topic of discussion between guests and crew.

And if you think that having the tips included in the fare will not incentivize the crew to work hard, you are mistaken. The service is fabulous on luxury ship - and all but Crystal include gratuities in the fare.

I think tips should be included it the fare. Increase it by whatever it needs to be in order for the crew to be paid fairly.

I love all inclusive cruises - the crew is happy and I don't have to get involved in thinking about their families and how they support them. I don't ask about my meat cutter's family and financial well being, I don't ask about my bakery manager's family and financial well being, I don't ask my lawn service guy about his family and financial well being - and I certainly don't ask my room steward either. I don't get why this even becomes a topic of discussion between guests and crew.

And if you think that having the tips included in the fare will not incentivize the crew to work hard, you are mistaken. The service is fabulous on luxury ship - and all but Crystal include gratuities in the fare.

Careful there . . . I suggested the same thing and Dan told me "tips and salary aren't the same thing" . . . . :D But . . . needless to say . . . I totally agree with you . . . Tammy

Archived