Teenagers on Dawn Princess

radovin75

We have booked on the Dawn Princess for the 2008 Christmas Cruise and have 2 teenage children. This is our first cruise and I am worried that the Kids will be too old for the "kids activities". Anyone who could reassure me?

Rest assured! My kids are now 21, 18 and 15 and they will be taking their 4th cruise in July. Hands down their all time favorite way to vacation. They will have a blast! They might be too old for some of the kids activities but they'll love all the shows, competitions etc.

When I was on the Dawn, by the end of the cruise, some of the teens were getting into trouble because there was not enough to do on the ship. Some teens cut the wires in the Internet Cafe on several computers and on the second to last night of the cruise,and I was hit in the face with ice that teens were dropping from the stairwells to see how far they would fall before they hit someone.

On the other hand, we saw teens in a lot of the activities with their parents (like karaoke) that were having great family time together.

On a Christmas Cruise, I am sure there will be plenty of kids and more activities geared to them on the ship.

They'll meet up with other kids on the ship and probably have a great time. Tell them to look forward to the pizza restaurant - they had great pizza and we saw lots of teens meeting up with each other and enjoying a meal.

When I was on the Dawn, by the end of the cruise, some of the teens were getting into trouble because there was not enough to do on the ship. Some teens cut the wires in the Internet Cafe on several computers and on the second to last night of the cruise,and I was hit in the face with ice that teens were dropping from the stairwells to see how far they would fall before they hit someone.

On the other hand, we saw teens in a lot of the activities with their parents (like karaoke) that were having great family time together.

On a Christmas Cruise, I am sure there will be plenty of kids and more activities geared to them on the ship.

They'll meet up with other kids on the ship and probably have a great time. Tell them to look forward to the pizza restaurant - they had great pizza and we saw lots of teens meeting up with each other and enjoying a meal.

I totally agree here. If the OP is looking so spend some quality time with the teens, this would be a way to go. But the teens we have seen onboard seem to just be hanging out after awahile as the ship does not offer a lot of things for them to do in comparison to the larger vessels, especially if they aren't interested in the kids/teen club activities.

I totally agree here. If the OP is looking so spend some quality time with the teens, this would be a way to go. But the teens we have seen onboard seem to just be hanging out after awahile as the ship does not offer a lot of things for them to do in comparison to the larger vessels, especially if they aren't interested in the kids/teen club activities.

Thank you - I am glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this since we were on the ship at different times.

We sailed the Dawn with our daughter for her 16th birthday over Spring Break this year. The CD announced that there were 492 kids aboard the cruise, and suggested coming back for Christmas when the number of kids were 700+. Our daughter is a good kid, and she attended the Teen Welcome aboard party and quickly made lots of friends. She rated the teen program as okay. The "crew" (as they called themselves) met up at whatever time a teen happening was occurring. If it was good, they stayed for the program, but if not, they moved on to a public area, where they could sit together and talk.

She ate every dinner with us, except the 2nd formal night, when they reserved an area in the Anytime Dining Room for the teens to eat together, and then had a photograph taken of the group. Other teens would pass by our table, and she would ask to be excused. She didn't make it through dessert any night.

Some of the kids did turn out to be rowdier than DD, so she just hung out with the kids she had more in common with. They had two scavenger hunts during the week, which the teens really seemed to enjoy, because we were hunted down to deliver some goods both times, as were other parents.

I wouldn't be worried. Kids have a great time on vacation.

I really think it depends on your family and kids plus there ages.

I have 2 sons, both have cruised twice on Carnival (Valor and Glory)

We did the first crusie a few yrs ago when they were 10 and 13 and then again last summer when they were 12 and 15. My kids wanted nothing to do with the kids programs..my youngest did give it a try on the first cruise a few times.

I just came off Dawn doing Mexican Riviera about 4 weeks ago and for my family..it would have not been good. the ship is small, there are not alot of "nooks and crannies" for them to hang out in. Plus the avg age of the cruiser is probably 60+. the whole environment was much more "mature" than any cruise Ive been on. With that said, we had a great time and I would def do Princess again.

I think the ports of call will be fine, maybe alittle boring for them as they are all Mexico so things may be to similar for them. If you want the Mexican Riviera and you can swing it I would def look at RCCL Vision of the Seas or Carnival Pride both out of LA.

To be honest I dont know that I would want Dawn being my first cruise exsp. It lacks the glitz, and the "fun"ship exsp. It was a great change for us but it is my 7th cruise so Im much more open minded that when I started cruising. If you still choose Dawn, know you will have a great vacation, service and food were excellent...maybe the best Ive had.

Just plan some activities with the kids on the at sea day...may have to get creative. I will say the pools might be the largest Ive seen and they are fresh water..no slides.

We are sailing from Sydney, and travelling the south pacific. There are five ports of, call and all of them look like a lot of fun. I have been told that the Dawn Princess is for the more mature passengers but that Christmas is a lot different. They are very family orientated kids and I don't think they would be the type to wreak havok on the ship, (wouldn't dare), but I will keep in mind the suggestion to organise some activities for them. Thanks

Archived