Need help/advice...long :)

sprklz131

Well...this was supposed to be a fun vacation. :) Since my husband is in the military something always comes up.

My husband's family (huge family, 20 people) is going on a cruise to the Carribean on the Carnival Destiny leaving from San Juan on July 6th. We were planning on getting to San Juan a few days earlier to explore as much of San Juan as we could.

My husband found out that he has to do some training beginning on the 10th.

What we are thinking of doing is having him fly in w/ us early so that he can experience San Juan and then fly back around the same time we leave on the ship.

My problem or advice needed would be that we will be taking our 7 1/2 month old on the cruise.

I don't know if it will be too much work for me to care for her and all of her things. Don't get me wrong, my in-laws would help in any way they can, but I don't want to depend on them so much that they won't have any fun.

So...should I go ahead with the family (everyone is telling me to, including my husband) or should my husband and I just stay home and hope we can go on a vacation next summer?

If I do go, I will be bringing her carseat and her stroller. I have her travel system made by graco. Would that be too much of a hassle? I will have her car seat and it straps into the stroller so that will help in the airport and such. If I don't bring her travel system, I will still have her car seat and I will buy another smaller stroller (suggestions?).

Also if I do go w/out my husband is there any tips that would make traveling easier?

You might want to consider a sling or other type of baby carrier, I find them easier than a stroller sometimes. As for your stroller, bring whatever will make it easier and most comfortable for the both of you.

I bet your inlaws will be more help than you could expect...that's their grandbaby they'll be helping you with, not just any ole kid! ;)

If you go home with your husband, will he be home at all or away for the training? Because if you're alone with the baby anyway, it might be nice to be on a cruise where someone else cooks and cleans for you and your in-laws are around to help even some of the time. Just thought I'd throw out that way of looking at things... I do remember that it's a hassle to pack and travel alone with a baby.

First off-thank you and your husband for putting up with all you do for our country. My brother is in the Army so, I know all about the changing dates and not knowing what is going on until the last minute stuff.

I say go. Let your in laws help you with the baby. I understand worrying about the hassle of it all (I had 6 kids in 7 yrs) but, you deserve and probably need a vacation.

Thanks...I think I will. I have been looking forward to this cruise for almost a year.

Do you think I should bring the travel system? Or should I bring a separate smaller stroller and her car seat?

Also, I'm bringing her baby food. I don't want to chance an allergic reaction to something she might eat. So would it be better to bring the jars or the plastic containers? What would work better on the plane? We are flying from Los Angeles into Puerto Rico.

Any ways to entertain a baby on such a long flight? We are leaving at night so hopefully she will sleep for most of it.

Are there any ways to help acclimate her to the time change?

Thanks for all of your help!

I'd bring the travel system (as long as it's one that will let her sleep and has a nice sun cover on it). It will make it easier to move baby around without waking her or having to take her in and out of the seat.

Others may disagree, but if it were me, I wouldn't worry about trying to adjust to the time change (and then adjust back again) for a week cruise. Just wake up late and stay up late - there's nowhere you have to be!

Best,

Mia

Go have a great time. What a wonderful husband you have to tell you to go and have a vacation while he will be at home working. You'll have lots of help and you will have lots of things to share with your husband when you get home.

It sounds like you will have an extensive support group on-ship. You may just find it hard to give her up to others who obviously will care for her, but once you relax on your duties and get comfortable "relying" on others for help, you will begin to have a fabulous time.

I agree, bring the travel system. At this time, airlines are not charging for these necessities and I found that having larger wheels and more comfortable stroller around the Caribbean very helpful over flimsy, lightweight strollers. Don't be afraid to bring that stroller to the beach! I did mine (from my Graco travel system) and it has made it through three cruises to the Carib.

Good idea on brining your own babyfood, you should try to pack as lightweight as possible. Don't forget all those diapers you'll need!

(Hint: There is a Kmart close to port in St Thomas. If this is one of your stops--likely--then you can always buy some items there.)

New toys and "look books" always help on flights (my son's fav was the board book of DK Books "My first ABC book" and looking at all the pictures). And the tried and true favorites (like a fav blankie, pillow).

And breastfeeding/bottles.

Try stickers--I know that seems dumb for a baby so young (just keep them out of her mouth) but my boys were fascinated about how they stuck to fingers and upholstery and would play with them for a long time.

Crushed ice in a plastic cup was fun, too. Fun to chew and fun to hold--sure, you get wet. But keeps baby engaged! At that age, you can chew bigger chunks up and let her have fun with the "slushie"

Don't worry about time change. Chances are that she'll change her daily routine before you go on the cruise anyway. Babies have a knack for doing that just when you think you have them figured out. :)

HAVE FUN!!!

When flying, have a paci/bottle/breast ready! It will keep their ears from building up pressure and popping! Or a teething ring, etc.

I traveled with DS by myself when he was 4 months and 2 years. Big difference in what I brought! I used the travel system both times and it is a lifesaver! At 4 months, his car seat would lock in too (love that Graco system!) and I would wheel him and all his bag stuffed under the seat of it right to the door. Then I would unlock him, and carry him into the cabin and strap him into a seat! (PS -- I never bought a seat for him, but never had to hold him the whole flight -- there was always an empty seat next to me! Guess I got lucky.)

At 2 years, he would ride in it, then jump out, and walk to his seat! During take-off/landing, a sucker would be a special treat that would do the same purpose!

Things to remember for traveling with infant: Diapers, wipes, toys, favorite blanket/stuffed animal, clothes, medicines (teething drops, etc.), age appropriate sunscreen and a hat. On carnival, they have a playtime from 12-2 for those that are under age 2, so you can take him/her to the Camp Carnival and have a playdate with other small fry.

Mainly, use your in-laws. They probably want to spend some wonderful time with their grandchild and it will give you a nice rest. Go to the spa and use the steam room, work-out, lay in the sun, etc. I know it won't be as nice without your DH, but let someone pamper you for a little bit! I know that military wives are kindof stubborn and independent (My father and 2 brothers are all retired military, as well as a brother in law and I have a nephew in now also, so I've seen lots of military wives!!), but let someone take care of you for a week. You deserve it! Thank your husband for his service for me!

You got that one right. I am pretty stubborn. That's why it took me about a month of everyone telling me I should go, including my husband.

Does anyone know whether or not the glass jars or plastic containers of baby food would work out better? On the plane and the ship?

If your baby is used to a baby carrier (sling, front-pack, backpack) bring it with. My DD LOVED to be carried, so when traveling alone - I'd put her in the carrier and then use the stroller to haul stuff -- so nice having two hands free! I'd use pacifier holders to string on a few toys (eliminated dropsies!). At 7.5M "linking" toys (those plastic chain links) are great for travel.

Particularly if flying, don't assume that the plane will have ANYTHING -- when you get past security fill a plastic bottle with drinking water or buy a bottle of drinking water from a vendor in the terminal. I've never had a problem, but I know several people who have.

I don't know if you are planning on taking the baby food in your carryon. Be sure to check and see if you are allowed to take baby food or liquid formula through security! They are pretty strict about it! Also, check with the cruise line to see if you can get past their security with the baby food and/or liquid formula.

I think you will have a great time! Thank your DH for his service to our country!!!:D

I am going to say no to taking the travel system. We cruised in November with our then 5 month old and the travel system will probably be too big to maneauver around the ship. I bought a smaller stroller (not an umbrella type) and it was excellent.

Also, doing it alone will be manageable for you. The staff love young children and will help you out whenever they can. We were blown away by how much better and more attentive the staff are to parents with little ones. You will have a great trip!!!

In regards to baby food etc, you are most certainly allowed to bring it in your carry on. If anyone gives you a hassle just ask to speak to a supervisor. At Miami we were told that we couldn't take formula in our carry on, the supervisor came and said that of course baby stuff can go with the baby. The cruise line will also let you through security with the baby items. Common sense.

You can ask the room service staff to puree veggies and fruit as well. We would get a few servings and keep it in our fridge. So, don't bring a whole lot of food that will be availble on the ship. (They basically have EVERYTHING you could possibly want). They will happily provide it for you. Make sure to bring a bit of dish soap to wash bottles.

My advice for the plane is to make sure you bring a little blankie or other cuddly item so your little one can snooze.

Make sure you don't over schedule yourself as your baby will want some down time and to have naps. The excitment of all the new sounds, people and action tires them out. You will need a good hat- try to find one that has the SPF50 already built into the material, sunscreen, and just lots of fluids.

Have a wonderful trip. You will be glad that you went!!

we cruised with a 7 month old last year and it was a lot easier than i expected. i had never cruised before but done a lot of traveling with kids. i was nervous about the unexpected. but with some planning it worked out great. if your baby is sitting up, then you can get a stroller that is easier to travel with. We weren't so lucky as to have an open seat for her on the flights. we didnt' want to pay for her, and ended up having to hold her a couple of times. make sure to bring a blanket and whatever helps to get her to sleep. most of the time the plane is cold and covering baby up will help. we bought a combi stroller that folds down as compact and lightweight as an umbrella stroller, but has storage underneath and a sun cover. it was fabulous! our 11 year old could carry it, and it folded quickly at the end of the ramp to the plane. we checked her infant seat for the shuttle to the ship. we had a baby bjorn carrier that made it great for shore excursions and opted not to take the infant seat for those. we had to bring our own baby food because she had tons of food allergies and was on organic food. we were able to take formula and baby food through security. you can view the list on the tsa website if you're concerned. yes the ship provided tons of food, but most of it was mixed and prepared and we couldn't take the chance she would get something she was allergic to. we took lots of ziplocs so that we could portion out 1 feeding at a time with a spoon and take with us on shore excursions. it made it easier to carry, separate, and hold on to after feedings if there wasn't a place to dispose of it right away. i prefer the glass jars with the screw on lids because if the baby doesn't eat the whole portion, i feel the screw on lid keeps it from spilling out better than those snap on plastic lids if i want to save it for later. i took disposable bibs and disposable changing pads and they were wonderful! i have a pack list designed for traveling with kids that someone gave me before i left and it was fabulous to refer to. if you'd like it, email me (deeanna AT marykay dot com). i'd be happy to share it, and answer any questions you may have.

good luck!

:)

Archived