Info on HAL Kids Program?

helenb

I read the wonderful Maasdam review posted at the top of the thread list, but I was wondering if anyone else had experience with the kids' programs on Holland America (specifically Club Hal, for the younger kids). We are looking at taking our first Holland America cruise on the Ryndam, which is about half the size of the ships we have been sailing. I have heard that HAL as a line is for older cruisers, so I was just looking for a little more feedback on how the kids' programs are. The Oasis area looks great, do they kids use it much? And is there a kids' menu in the dining room?

TIA!

We were on the Zuiderdam last Dec. with a 13 and an 8 year old. Zuiderdam does not have an Oasis, so I can't comment on that. The Oasis on the Ryndam is for 13-17 year olds, not younger children.

We had only 32 children total on our cruise. My 8 year old loved Club Hal. It is not an elaborate or extensive program. They did a lot of craft projects and played games. One day they got to go to the video arcade and play games for free. They made ice cream sundaes. They watched movies. They went to one of the shows.

Yes, there is a children's menu in the dining room with typical favorites. If you don't see what you want, the waitstaff will be happy to get pizza, etc. from the Lido and bring it to your child. The staff is great with the kids and there is nothing they won't do to keep them happy. They knew one child liked red apples and one liked red grapes, and they would bring them a beautiful plate of cut-up fruit when we arrived at dinner. The bartender in one bar would run over to bring them nuts in a little cup for each one the minute we sat down.

We were on the Zuiderdam for Halloween 2007 and the girls loved it. There were only 45 kids under 18 and they received so much personalized attention.I agree completely with 6rugrats observations. This was my girls (aged 4/6/8) favorite cruise so far because it wasn't overrun with kids and they made friends more easily with a smaller group. Their other cruises were with Princess, Celebrity and Carnival. I hope that this helps.

Yes, the personal attention more then makes up for the lack of elaborate activities. We choose HAL for mom and dad (we had only cruised on Windstar and could not face Carnival or NCL), but it turned out that the kids were thrilled with their cruise and would go back in a minute.

Thanks for the information! I am glad to hear all of these good reviews! The only negative for us is that we will have to be in an outside cabin (rather than a Verandah) because the ship is so old they only have quads in outside cabins (unless you move up to full suite). But everything else sounds great!

We booked today, and we are very excited!

We too are taking our children on the Zanndam in Dec. for a 14 day Hawaii cruise. Our girls our 9&12. They have been on the Disney and will be doing the Carnival Pride in Oct. I have never been on HAL but how could a kid not have fun on a ship!!! I also think less kids means more attention the kids will get. I am very excited for this trip!!

Archived