Is it true?

allentownahoy

I was there last year. I heard that you don't want to leave the gated area. The port is like they drop you off in a market with a very nice pool and swimup bar. But as for venturing out of the gates - i heard it wasn't recommended. So I didn't take the chance when i was there. You should be fine in the area they drop you off at though - no worries.

There is absolutely no reason not to explore beyond the pier. For that matter if you stay in the gated area you are truly missing out on.

I just returned from two weeks in Costa Maya and have to say they have come a long way since Dean hit just one year ago. I will post a review of my trip with pictures soon.

I noticed them as we were leaving the pier area about a mile out when we were headed out for our tour to go to the Mayan ruins. They were guarding what seemed like another road. It was a little unnerving. I work with a woman who went on the same exhursion (paid thru Carnival) saw the guards from the bus - and freaked. (She's 50's) she won't cruise again. She thought the whole experience was unsafe. While my son was 9 at the time - I was unsettled but knew that was the reality of traveling and had a great time. He saw them too and didn't think about it.

So I guess she never flies in North America. There are Peel Region police in the Toronto Airport, RCMP in Vancouver, police AND military in LA and San Francisco, etc.

Viv

Great...can hardly wait to see the post Dean pictures. Where did you stay when you were there?

We stayed at the Jollymon, about 10 minutes North of Mahahual. Here are some pictures:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/566807991VVtagK

You will also find another album from my recent trip at the link below.

What a great place to stay. It reminds me of the many days we spent in Isla Mujeras, Merida and Cancun years before it became a tourist attraction. The Mexican construction is so different than here..I guess it is the sand that they use with the cement. The Mayans are such wonderful sweet people...If I were younger I would get a piece of real estate there.

• 4 weeks later...

I admire the resilience of the people of Costa Maya. That hurricane hit with the eye hanging over them for 2 days. We were there before the hurricane hit and we will go back in December on our cruise. They were left with nothing and I can only hope two years later that things will be much better for them. Everyone could learn from their strength.

I admire the resilience of the people of Costa Maya. That hurricane hit with the eye hanging over them for 2 days. We were there before the hurricane hit and we will go back in December on our cruise. They were left with nothing and I can only hope two years later that things will be much better for them. Everyone could learn from their strength.

Not sure where you got your information but Dean did not sit over the Costa Maya for two days. Hurricane Dean was actually a fast moving storm.

Here is information about Dean:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_Hurricane_Dean_in_Mexico

If you are interested in seeing pictures of the progress they have made in Mahahual you can visit my album (Costa Maya - Mahahual) in the link below. They were taken in August; one year after Dean hit.

Archived