Rash Guard or Wetsuit for Coki Beach, St Thomas?

Not sure which to pack. Has anyone wore rash guard and stayed warm enough or do I need to pack my 3 mil? Will be there Monday 6/2. Same question for Champagne area in Dominica. Thank You in advance for any replies.

~Machelle

I would recommend the 3mil full maybe not for the warmth but for the protection from the sun and the coral. I wore 3mil shorty and bang my shine while diving the Rhone in BVI and it hurt like the dickens I was lucky thought I tore big chunk out but didn't. If not the 3mil full get a dive skin for the sun protection.

A rash guard will be fine if you're snorkeling. It provides adequate warmth, as well as both some solar and (small) stingy thing protection.

If your diving, see post #2.

ever sunburn your buns? If you have then I don't need to tell you the need to cover your rearend otherwise bare min wear a diveskin even while snorkleing

We have been diving at St. Thomas and Dominica several times. We wear diveskins and have never been cold even at depth.

The first two years that we went diving in this area we took along 2/3 or 3mm wetsuits and never used them. After that we quit even bringing a wetsuit along on our trips. In all cases we would be doing a two tank dive in the morning and time permitting another one tank dive in the afternoon.

I think now with all the restrictions and charges for baggage on airlines, we will be even more reluctant to pack wetsuits.

ever sunburn your buns? If you have then I don't need to tell you the need to cover your rearend otherwise bare min wear a diveskin even while snorkleing

Not yet, but I don't go full Monty either!!!:p

I wore 3mm full wetsuit in both St. Thomas and Dominica last year at the end of Aug. (when water temp is supposed to be at its highest).

My wife and friends all wore 3mm full wetsuits even for snorkeling.

Perhaps we get cold easier. But remember water temp is lower than your body temp and you do lose body heat in water. Some people get colder faster than others.

Depends on if you are diving or snorkeling. Also depends on your body type and ability to stay warm. Everyone is different. If snorkeling, then a rash guard would be sufficient. Choose one with UV protection. If diving, a 3 mil will be good. Remember, your body temp is 97 degrees, and the if the water is 80 or so degrees, after a while your body core temp will drop. Why be cold? It's not like you're gonna be too hot under water! The protection of a full rash or 3 mil will protect you from fire coral. I'm a small person and still wearing my 5 mil in 81 degree water. It's all about your comfort level.

I agree it is a matter of personal preference.

Body Temp is 98.6. If you are cold natured, a 1-3mm will do in the caribbean. If you are diving three dives a day for several days, a 3mm is better with the possibility of an additional 2 mm shortie for later in the week to go over the long suit.

I have used a skin, 1mm and 3mm in the Caribbean. The 3mm was a bit of overkill, but I wasn't diving 3 or 4 dives a day.

My Daughter needed a 3mm to stay warm. My son dives most of the time in a swimsuit and t shirt.

Stay off of the reef and you won't have to worry about the fire coral. Though we all make mistakes sometime and brush the reef. Just don't make it a habit.

Good luck on your dives.

Have fun.

Archived