Legend 5/18/2008 - Thoughts and Information

joepeka

Hey there, we sail on 6/22 and I sooo can't wait!!

I posted this as a general question but will ask you as well incase it isn't answered out in the "open". :)

We were on the Inspiration in December. One of the highlights on the cruise was the band by the pool daily. They were Soooo Great! They played fantastic reggae, calypso, salsa, etc.. and had everyone dancing in their chairs.

I am travelling on the Legend in a couple weeks and want to know if the band by the pool is similar?

My boyfriend and I are music freaks, and love a great live band. Especially a great Reggae/Island Vibe band.

Can anyone tell me if the band is like that?? I saw on someones capers that it said Tropical Sounds by the pool. I am hoping it is similar and not cheesy.

I just checked CCL's website, and the current rate is $80 per person, based on double occupancy for the Embassy Suites, making it $160 per night. Then I went to the hotel website and put in hypothetical dates for the Aug 3 sailing. The "Net Direct" rate is less than $120. Even with hotel tax, it would probably be cheaper than Carnival....but then you have to pay for your own transfers...I'm not sure, but they may be included with Carnival's pricing.

https://secure.hilton.com/en/es/res/choose_rates.jhtml;jsessionid=RBA3YNMGV5QHMCSGBJC4LYQ?_requestid=236513

We booked the hotel on our own because there are four of us sharing one room.

Hey there, we sail on 6/22 and I sooo can't wait!!

I posted this as a general question but will ask you as well incase it isn't answered out in the "open". :)

We were on the Inspiration in December. One of the highlights on the cruise was the band by the pool daily. They were Soooo Great! They played fantastic reggae, calypso, salsa, etc.. and had everyone dancing in their chairs.

I am travelling on the Legend in a couple weeks and want to know if the band by the pool is similar?

My boyfriend and I are music freaks, and love a great live band. Especially a great Reggae/Island Vibe band.

Can anyone tell me if the band is like that?? I saw on someones capers that it said Tropical Sounds by the pool. I am hoping it is similar and not cheesy.

The band at the pool on the 5/4 Legend had a similar sound to how you described, an island feel. I didn't spend much time in that area, but I enjoyed hearing them as I passed through. Not cheesy.

I just checked CCL's website, and the current rate is $80 per person, based on double occupancy for the Embassy Suites, making it $160 per night. Then I went to the hotel website and put in hypothetical dates for the Aug 3 sailing. The "Net Direct" rate is less than $120. Even with hotel tax, it would probably be cheaper than Carnival....but then you have to pay for your own transfers...I'm not sure, but they may be included with Carnival's pricing.

https://secure.hilton.com/en/es/res/choose_rates.jhtml;jsessionid=RBA3YNMGV5QHMCSGBJC4LYQ?_requestid=236513

We booked the hotel on our own because there are four of us sharing one room.

Thanks loveto. We also have 4 people going. Can I ask, when you book the room do you put 4 as the occupancy or do you keep it at 2 in order to keep the price down?

Hi Nikki, Yes the muster drill was over prior to sailaway. It started at 3:30 and was over within 10 minutes or so and we were back on the balcony for sailaway. I saw another thread here on the board about some ships doing muster drill during sailaway but we've never had that happen to us.

Thanks, Joe, that's great to hear!

The band at the pool on the 5/4 Legend had a similar sound to how you described, an island feel. I didn't spend much time in that area, but I enjoyed hearing them as I passed through. Not cheesy.

The Lido pool band was a couple of guys that played the usual reggae/calypso/island music. They were pretty good but we never saw any of the pax really getting into the music the way Clearwater describes from the Inspiration. We enjoyed their music, we just didn't perceive them as a real highlight around the pool.

Coconutball4u,

I was honest and put three adults and one child. The rate we got was $135, but then they add the hotel taxes on to it. It still ended up being about the same as getting two rooms at the La Quinta that we had been looking at for $70 each. For $140 per night, I liked the suite, and it was only about $10 more. Both places had the free breakfast, but I like the idea of the happy hour. Also, we really need 3 beds. My brother, sister, niece, and I are going: my sis and niece in one bed, brother in another, and me on the sleeper. No other suite had that option. We're close, but not THAT close. It also seems convenient to local transportation since we are flying in a day early (just to be sure since there have been so many airline problems recently).

4. Sting ray city tour and snorkeling (via Native Way) in Grand Cayman, cost was $35pp. We were in a small group (about 15) with a very helpful and funny crew who made the sting ray interaction very safe and entertaining. Can’t say enough good things about Native Way.

Questions are welcome!

Do you have an email for the tour in Grand Cayman?

Also ..if you do not mind me asking ...what wrap-around cabin where you in...as we have one booked for Dec. 7.

Great review/thoughts.....we have not sailed on Carnival for years...have heard good things about the Legend, looking forward to sailing on her in Dec.

I was thinking the same thing - the rocking during the night then again the next late afternoon-evening were about the same spot in the ocean so I assumed it was just a phenomenon of that area, for that time of year.

I agree as it was the same for us in that area on our 4/6 sailing but we had absolutely smooth sailing for the rest of the trip.

Thanks for the wonderful review!

Do you have an email for the tour in Grand Cayman?

Also ..if you do not mind me asking ...what wrap-around cabin where you in...as we have one booked for Dec. 7.

Great review/thoughts.....we have not sailed on Carnival for years...have heard good things about the Legend, looking forward to sailing on her in Dec.

Hi Teresa,

This info is probably a bit late but we used Native Way for the String Ray tour, if you do a web search on their name, their web site will come up right away. You can make a tour reservation via their web site. Our cabin number was 7298, deck seven; it's one of only two I think which can hold 3 passengers.

joepeka, we'll have the same cabin as you did! Did you notice any excessive noise or vibration when you were at sea or pulling into port? I have read some complaints, and wanted to know your thoughts. Also, was there enough overhang to get a little bit of shade on the balcony (or shelter from the rain?) Thanks.

Joepeka/ love2relax cabin 7298 is the one we have booked in Dec. Our friends that are going with us are in 7300. I believe (hope) that the connecting door is working. Which way does it open? Any extra info would be appreciated... Our friends are considering getting married on board ship. Thanks

Wayne

On the 7298 cabin questions:

1. There was virtually no noise or vibration that we could detect. You really couldn't even hear the prop wash from inside. Overall, it was extremely quiet.

2. The balcony overhang was pretty small so depending on which direction the ship was facing, it could be in full sun or shade. Also, there was very little wind on the balcony except on the "wrap" side where there was always a breeze.

3. Cabin 7300 is next door, a smaller cabin with a much smaller balcony. The divider between the balconys do open but I've heard that there is a strict limit to the number of dividers that they will allow to be open during the cruise. Something for you to check on as soon as you board.

We absolutely loved this cabin and it's a shame there are none quite like it on the larger ships (Conquest class, etc.). The two-room setup was perfect for myself, DW and DD - daughter had the main living area pretty much to herself and there are doors between the bedroom, the dressing area and the living area for more privacy. The only negative, which is a function of the overhang size, is that people looking over the rails above you can see part of your balcony so be careful what you do out there! :eek: This same cabin on deck 4 has a much larger overhang which not only provides more shade but also pretty much eliminates peeping Tom's from above.

Thanks for all of the details. My sister has 7300 also. If I ever sail the Spirit class to Alaska, I'll be sure to go for the deck 4 wrap. I am getting really excited, especially now that my noise fears were unwarranted. I can sleep through anything, but I was worrying about other family members.

Thanks for all of the details. My sister has 7300 also. If I ever sail the Spirit class to Alaska, I'll be sure to go for the deck 4 wrap. I am getting really excited, especially now that my noise fears were unwarranted. I can sleep through anything, but I was worrying about other family members.

Unless there is large party on adjacent/above/below balconies (and there were none on our stay), you'll be fine. It was incredibly quiet and smooth.

Archived