Capt Larry - Juneau VS Capt Davey - Sitka

tapia

If you could only do 1 tour and had to choose between Capt Davey in Sitka and Capt Larry in Juneau, which would you do? I know one is only whales and 1 is more. But, I'm more interested in which is a more up-close and personal with the animals. Before I get flamed--I KNOW you can't predict anything with regards to animals. Just in those people's experience on who have done both, which would you choose.

Also, last year I went on a whale watching tour in Icy Straight and I have done a Kenai Fjords tour. So, neither of these would be a first time thing.

Thank you for your observations!

I've been out with each twice - Captain Davey is my first choice because of the amazing variety of life seen (and because there are only 6 passengers). If whales are your priority, though, Captain Larry (or Floyd at Icy Strait - 1 trip with him so far) are better.

I've been out with each twice - Captain Davey is my first choice because of the amazing variety of life seen (and because there are only 6 passengers). If whales are your priority, though, Captain Larry (or Floyd at Icy Strait - 1 trip with him so far) are better.

Thanks, you always have great answers! Can you tell me how close you would get to the puffins / otters or how you see them? When I went on the Kenai Fjords trip, we just looked at them on a rock in the distance or saw puffins in the water randomly and that was it. (given, that trip was more for the glacier though)

Do you have any Capt Davey pics?

I have hundreds of Captain Davey pics :D - http://www.youralaskacruise.com/reviews/2007/page4.html was 2007, the bottom half of http://www.youralaskacruise.com/reviews/alaskacruises2006/page4.html was 2006. Nature being what it is, you never know how close you're going to get, but as you'll see, we had good luck on both trips (though not with sea otters last year). Cathy (my wife) just said that the 2007 trip was her best excursion ever, anywhere.

Murray

Thanks so much Murray! Those pictures look amazing!!!!! The custom tour looks great!

I don't think we'll be able to do an all day tour because we're not in Sitka very much. Do you think their 3 hour tour will be enough or are we better off waiting until next time?

Thank you SO much!

Thanks BQ!

I guess I want to know what I can see without binoculars. I will bring them, but I find the experiance to be so much better if I don't have to use them. *sigh*

I know, I want it all!

Thanks BQ!

I guess I want to know what I can see without binoculars. I will bring them, but I find the experiance to be so much better if I don't have to use them. *sigh*

I know, I want it all!

Maybe you need to look at different binoculars??? Sometimes with people "not liking" them, they are poor quality or a mismatch with the operator. You may want to try out some at a sporting goods store, and see.

Overall, you are extremely limited without them.

Maybe you need to look at different binoculars??? Sometimes with people "not liking" them, they are poor quality or a mismatch with the operator. You may want to try out some at a sporting goods store, and see.

Overall, you are extremely limited without them.

The binoculars themselves are great--I actually bought them just for Alaska last year. But, since I have contacts & a hard time with focus anyway, I just like not using them better..........

Thank you so much for the info.

Random Question (even though I know it isn't going to happen)~Who is better without using binoculars?

The binoculars themselves are great--I actually bought them just for Alaska last year. But, since I have contacts & a hard time with focus anyway, I just like not using them better..........

Thank you so much for the info.

Random Question (even though I know it isn't going to happen)~Who is better without using binoculars?

It would be hard to miss humpbacks, about the size of a school bus, or 1000 lb Sea Lions that you see out of Auke Bay on whale watches.

Looking at small sea otters, puffins, sea birds etc, definately a lot smaller.

It would be hard to miss humpbacks, about the size of a school bus, or 1000 lb Sea Lions that you see out of Auke Bay on whale watches.

Looking at small sea otters, puffins, sea birds etc, definately a lot smaller.

Thanks so much for the tips BQ! I appreciate it!

Yukon, thanks for the photos. I've got my trip planned for this summer to Alaska but I hope to go to Sitka on my next trip. I've already started making notes on what I want to see. I'll definitely add Capt. Davey's tour to my list!

I'm going with Capt. Larry this summer. Can't wait!

Archived