Dubrovnik

Jennifer:

The entrance to the city walls near the aquarium is within the old town and you can't get there by taxi. You can enter the old town from the Pile gate and walk down to the aquarium and locate the entrance which is not very easy to find. You can also go up at the Pile gate, however it is always very busy, crowded and has the most steps. The city walls will take dollars, pounds, euros and kunas. There are several ATM's located on the Stradun and you can get the local currency immediately. Please do remember it is very busy, very hot and you must have water and good walking shoes.

Locals don't eat out very often and when we do it is always at restaurant which is usually places without a view as we are more interested in good food.

As for ice cream, there is a stand on every corner and I have never seen any which puts on a show but that doesn't mean there isn't one like that. You must get the name or location from someone who told you about it.

My favorite restaurants are Orhan and Nava, again it's all about the food. Dalmatian cooking is not fancy, just basics with no sauces only a few herbs, such as parsley and basil. The fresh fish is always my first choice, especially grilled baby squid.

Dobro Dosli

Thank you very much. We`ll report on our return.

Want to acknowledge you croatian travelady for your fantastic information on your beloved city. You are the unofficial ambassadress for Dubrovnik! And I know you have made such a difference for many visitors. We will be in Dubrovnik on 8th August (with P&O Ventura) and we will raise a glass to you and toast your good health.

Many best wishes.

Vidimo se

Lois

Want to acknowledge you croatian travelady for your fantastic information on your beloved city. You are the unofficial ambassadress for Dubrovnik! And I know you have made such a difference for many visitors. We will be in Dubrovnik on 8th August (with P&O Ventura) and we will raise a glass to you and toast your good health.

Many best wishes.

Vidimo se

Lois

Hvala, and if you want you can drink a glass of wine with me at the Gradska Kavana when you are here. It's one of my favorite places to watch people and try to guess their home country. Americans are easy, as I am one also.

Dobro Dosli

U zdravlje to Croatian Travel Lady!

I only wish we could of met during our 6 days in Dubrovnik!

I hope each of you, read this thread thoroughly, use the websites and books I mentioned

and the extensive guidance Croatia Travel Lady has given..

to REALLY immerse yourself in Dubrovnik.

The history and culture of Ragusa is fascinating!

There is so much more to walking the wall!

I hope each of you have as wonderful time as my DH and I did!

A round of Ozujsko for everyone!

This was (is) an amazing thread. I have a huge debt of gratitude to Croatian travellady and Where2next. I have wanted to visit Dubrovnik and I am excited to say that I will be visiting (if only for a day) in November. Based on this amazing thread, I plan to walk the wall 1st thing (8am-ish, depending on tendering or docking) see the sights laid out by where2next's list, and have a meal at Orhan or Nava...and maybe????? have coffee or a glass of wine with croatiantravellady. It would be so cool to have a friend in Croatia. But of course, even though this is my first post on this thread...I already feel like I do.

This was (is) an amazing thread. I have a huge debt of gratitude to Croatian travellady and Where2next. I have wanted to visit Dubrovnik and I am excited to say that I will be visiting (if only for a day) in November. Based on this amazing thread, I plan to walk the wall 1st thing (8am-ish, depending on tendering or docking) see the sights laid out by where2next's list, and have a meal at Orhan or Nava...and maybe????? have coffee or a glass of wine with croatiantravellady. It would be so cool to have a friend in Croatia. But of course, even though this is my first post on this thread...I already feel like I do.

jwave:

If you are coming in November, don't worry about getting on the city walls by 8am. The hours of the walls will begin to change in October depending on weather by November they may be much later. During the winter season they open at 10am, so check in later in the year. Also, nava may not be open outside and she only has 4 very small tables inside but her food is worth the visit. Nava is a type of old sailing ship and the owner is named Nana. She is from Konavle, a small village just down the road, and a kind and good friend with a big heart. Her homemade soup is the best in town.

Do let me know if you want to meet me in Stari Grad (old town), as I love to have Makiato in the mornings. Must come here to find out what is in a Makiato.

Dobro Dosli

I would love to meet for makiato. Maybe we can meet before I walk the walls since they won't be open as early.

Ok, I will arrange to be in the old town on your arrival date. Please do contact me directly on my email and so I will pick out a really fun place for you to rest and regroup. November will be ok weather, but we will talk again so you can let me know the details of your arrival.

casosa54@gmail.com

Dobro Dosli

I also have spent quite a bit of time both reading and cutting and pasting info from this thread! Thanks to all especially Croatian Travel Lady and Where2next (beautiful website, BTW)! I am getting a great idea of what we will do including lunch at Orhan!

I will be in Dubrovnik next April on Azamara - it says it is a tendered port - so I am assuming that will be into the old city area!

I know April can be dicey for weather - what is it generally like there in April?

Also, we will be in Split and Koper also. Doesn't seem like an awful lot to do in Koper after researching a little bit - does anyone know of anything close by of interest? Have you travelled up that way also? I found out about some amazing caves (Postojna)- but not sure how far away from port they are in Slovenia.

Dobra Dan:

Princess is usually at anchor in the new port, called the Gruz. Use the shuttle bus from the ship to Stari Grad (old town) and it will drop you at the Pile Gate. This is the western entrance into the old town and one of the four entrances on the walls is just inside. It is, however, the one with the most steps and always jammed with guests. I always use the entrance nearest to the aquarium because I like beginning at the eastern side of town. Also there are the fewest steps and since there is a total of 650 steps on the entire wall, I like to start easy. You may go either direction, but the flow is better if you follow the sign which reads "recommend direction". If you make the entire wall and you can come down and be near to the Cathedral and St. Blaise Church and work you way down back to the Pile. By all means download the tourist map, it is excellent and all sights are marked.

Just had my birthday lunch at Orhan, it was wonderful. And today I had lunch at a small konabe called Nava. It is my favorite place in town, but there is no view and it is located on a small side street just off the Stradun. Funny how everyone wants to have good food, water view and inexpensive prices. Today I had fresh grilled baby squid, my husband had veal, we had 1/2 litre of wine. The cost was about $20 per person, before tip. Typical Dalmatian cooking is not fancy, it is very basic food and always fresh. You probably won't need a reservation at Orhan because it is off the beaten path and everyone is going into Nautika just above. Restaurant reservations are rare here, they fill the table and if you want to wait until someone leaves, that's ok. Life here is very easy going, there is no high stress levels. I love being here away from the pace of the US. Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.

Dobro Dosli

Croatian Travel Lady,

Could you please post the link to the maps you spoke of for Dubrovnik.

I have read everything and can't see to find it.

I appreciate all your help. We'll be coming in late September.

Appie

Croatian Travel Lady,

Could you please post the link to the maps you spoke of for Dubrovnik.

I have read everything and can't see to find it.

I appreciate all your help. We'll be coming in late September.

Appie

Dobro Jutro (Good Morning):

Here is the website for Dubrovnik tourist bureau, you can find tons of good and current information on it. The city map is there just locate it by going to the site search, type in "city map" and you will find it. I do highly recommend spending some time on the site as there is much you can learn about my Dubrovnik.

I have been visiting the Dalmatian coast since 1971 and would spend at least one month each time. Now that I live here, I am still finding some new treasure. You can't expect to see it all in one short afternoon, especially on your own. Do the research, read about places which may interest you and how to locate them. So often I can see someone who is totally lost and just wandering, missing everything except the ice cream parlors.

Do enjoy this wonderful town, it has a magical quality and has stolen my heart from the first time I visited in 1971.

Dobro Dosli

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/english/index.php

Hey Karen and Carol, I just returned and OMG I loved Dubrovnik! We wound up docking by Pile Gate and then moving boat to tender by Old port. So we entered the wll at Monastary, wow is it hot there!!! As walking we heard talking looked over wall and saw Buza! So we exited by aquarium and backtracked to have wine at Buza! My husband jumped in the water in his shorts! i wish I had packed a suit for me! Then we walked old town adn met his company for dinner at Proto, the fish was outstanding! i thoroughly enjoyed my day here.

Hvala, Hvala ,Hvala for all the information. Oh Carol the hat store was closed but I did buy a beautiful hat at another shop!!

Lee Anne:)

Your love and enthusiasm for Dubrovinik has been so apparent and I have so often thought that it would be wonderful if I could hire you for one of the days that we are going to be there. (I am doing 2 cruises, one after the other in November that both stop in your city.)

This got me to thinking... why don't you hire yourself out as a guide? I would love to be one of your customers! Any hope???? :D

Your love and enthusiasm for Dubrovinik has been so apparent and I have so often thought that it would be wonderful if I could hire you for one of the days that we are going to be there. (I am doing 2 cruises, one after the other in November that both stop in your city.)

This got me to thinking... why don't you hire yourself out as a guide? I would love to be one of your customers! Any hope???? :D

Tammiko:

If you wish to contact me at my personal email address, you may do so.

casosa54@gmail.com

Dear Croation Lady

I have found a strictly vegetarian restaurant listed in DBV called Nishta, at Prijeko 30. Do you know anything about it?

Our ship docks at 11 a.m. and departs at 7 p.m. on 26 August. According to your advice about not going on the wall after 10 a.m., what time in late afternoon should we aim to 'do' the wall? Being poor walkers, is it possible to do only half?

Hey Karen and Carol, I just returned and OMG I loved Dubrovnik! We wound up docking by Pile Gate and then moving boat to tender by Old port. So we entered the wll at Monastary, wow is it hot there!!! As walking we heard talking looked over wall and saw Buza! So we exited by aquarium and backtracked to have wine at Buza! My husband jumped in the water in his shorts! i wish I had packed a suit for me! Then we walked old town adn met his company for dinner at Proto, the fish was outstanding! i thoroughly enjoyed my day here.

Hvala, Hvala ,Hvala for all the information. Oh Carol the hat store was closed but I did buy a beautiful hat at another shop!!

Lee Anne:)

Welcome Home!

I knew you would love it! :)

I'm glad you had such a great time!

Karen

Dear Croation Lady

I have found a strictly vegetarian restaurant listed in DBV called Nishta, at Prijeko 30. Do you know anything about it?

Our ship docks at 11 a.m. and departs at 7 p.m. on 26 August. According to your advice about not going on the wall after 10 a.m., what time in late afternoon should we aim to 'do' the wall? Being poor walkers, is it possible to do only half?

You can do 1/2 the wall and stick to the side by the water.

You're timing kind of stinks and I really don't think you will catch a break from the sun and be able to make it back to the ship in time without creating a little internal stress. So just go when it is best for you. Bring lots of water!

Dobro Jutro (Good Morning):

Here is the website for Dubrovnik tourist bureau, you can find tons of good and current information on it. The city map is there just locate it by going to the site search, type in "city map" and you will find it. I do highly recommend spending some time on the site as there is much you can learn about my Dubrovnik.

I have been visiting the Dalmatian coast since 1971 and would spend at least one month each time. Now that I live here, I am still finding some new treasure. You can't expect to see it all in one short afternoon, especially on your own. Do the research, read about places which may interest you and how to locate them. So often I can see someone who is totally lost and just wandering, missing everything except the ice cream parlors.

Do enjoy this wonderful town, it has a magical quality and has stolen my heart from the first time I visited in 1971.

Dobro Dosli

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/english/index.php

I think both of us gave this and another site a few pages back...

To everyone just finding this thread

I know this is a long thread....

BUT it is totally worth your time to read it.

There is a wealth of information. I have seen the same questions that we covered in this thread asked in newly created threads.

I promise you the small investment of your time, will pay off!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

I also have spent quite a bit of time both reading and cutting and pasting info from this thread! Thanks to all especially Croatian Travel Lady and Where2next (beautiful website, BTW)! I am getting a great idea of what we will do including lunch at Orhan!

I will be in Dubrovnik next April on Azamara - it says it is a tendered port - so I am assuming that will be into the old city area!

I know April can be dicey for weather - what is it generally like there in April?

Also, we will be in Split and Koper also. Doesn't seem like an awful lot to do in Koper after researching a little bit - does anyone know of anything close by of interest? Have you travelled up that way also? I found out about some amazing caves (Postojna)- but not sure how far away from port they are in Slovenia.

Regarding Koper...

This port will take you to Piran...check out your options about traveling to there. It's a charming little town with heavy Venetian influence.

I have a few pictures in my Slovenia album on my website.

Can you tell me what ship you will be on and I can look at your shorex options. I'm wondering if they are offering a very long day to Lake Bled.

Regarding Split, have you seen my posts on Split utilizing the search engine? We were there on our land vacation that began in Dubrovnik in May.

There's pictures on our website, and if you need a Sights to See list let me know.

http://when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com/

A question for our good American expatriate. When visiting Croatia and making new friends or even for a hostess gift while staying in a home, what small gift from the States would be well received?

Andrea

Yes, of course something special from the US would be greatly appreciated. We call this an "Uspomena" which means "Remembrance" and locals are so thrilled when a guest remembers them with a small gift. It doesn't need to be something expensive, just thoughtful. You will be greated as a family memeber and do expect them to kiss both cheeks when you depart.

Thank you (Hvala) for asking such a wonderful question.

Dobro Dosli

Dear Croation Lady

Yes you can do part of the wall and since you are poor walkers then going up at the Pile gate is NOT the entrace you should use. There is another entrance, but it is not easy to locate without specific directions. I will post the website for the excellent map of Dubrovnik so you can get a general idea of the location of many wonderful sites. Do download this map and locate those places which you may want to visit, it makes finding them without a guide easier.

Dobro Dosli

Yes you can do part of the wall and since you are poor walkers then going up at the Pile gate is NOT the entrace you should use. There is another entrance, but it is not easy to locate without specific directions. I will post the website for the excellent map of Dubrovnik so you can get a general idea of the location of many wonderful sites. Do download this map and locate those places which you may want to visit, it makes finding them without a guide easier.

Dobro Dosli

Sorry about the restaurant you mentioned, however you will never find a local eating on the Preijko. It is an area which is very overpriced and food is below average. You can always order just vegtable platter at any restaurant, as they are all A la carte. Do you eat seafood at all?

Dobro dosli

Croatian Travelady - we will be in Dubrovnik in late September for a day from 10am to 6pm. We are fit 50-somethings but are travelling with elderly parents (82 & 86) who are not that fit!! We younger pair would like to walk the walls but as we don't dock until 10am, when should we aim to do this? Also, parents can't do it with us so could you suggest how we all get the best out of our day, being able to meet up easily again when we have walked the walls. I don't know where to start planning this day so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much! Margaret.

Croatian Travelady - we will be in Dubrovnik in late September for a day from 10am to 6pm. We are fit 50-somethings but are travelling with elderly parents (82 & 86) who are not that fit!! We younger pair would like to walk the walls but as we don't dock until 10am, when should we aim to do this? Also, parents can't do it with us so could you suggest how we all get the best out of our day, being able to meet up easily again when we have walked the walls. I don't know where to start planning this day so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much! Margaret.

By the end of September the opening of the city walls will probably change from 0800 to ????. According to my DH it could be 0830 to 0900, but we don't know for sure yet. As soon as the times change I will post the new hours. The weather in September will not be as hot as right now, so you can probably do the walls easily just after you arrive. As for mom and dad, put them on the Cabrilo bus, a wonderful 2 hour tour of the entire town with English audio guide. They can see the sights from the open air bus, with roof but no windows. Might suggest they carry a sweater or light jackets. This bus will not depart if we have bad weather, it can rain in September and the wind may blow. However last year it was great, not too hot and just some easy rain. Who knows what this year will bring. There is no info on the Cabrio bus, it is just something I think is great for those who don't walk easily.

The sights in Stari Grad (old town) and easy walking and you can take your time. There will be so many less tourists in late September and early October, my favorite months. Do let me know what ship you're on as your docking area can change that morning, depending on the sea and wind.

Dobro Dosli

Archived