Sun Princess Virus

Cruiser OZ60

I have a couple of friends from perth cruising on the Sun Princess just now through the far East from Freemantle ...on a 21 night Cruise ..and there were telling me in an email that the ship was in what they call a "CODE RED": ..I hadn't heard of that before ..i took it ..that it was to do with the Norwalk Virus ..as I had read it before on another ship ..Has anyone esle heard what the story is with the Sun princess ?:confused:

May 27

Sun Princess

Princess Cruises A passenger reports there was a large outbreak of gastrointestinal illness on the cruise from Freemantle (Australia) to Vietnam/Asia. Exact numbers have not been reported and are not required by the CDC to be reported given that the cruise does not include any US ports.

Yup. Sounds like someone brought it aboard from Freemantle. Often, even a very small outbreak can trigger extra precautions. Those include not giving you bread baskets and butter on the table at dinner but rather having them served directly to you; also, in the buffet, they will have staff serving you food rather than people serving themselves.

On my recent long Sapphire cruise, I used the hand sanitizer so much that the palms of my hands completely peeled off. I must be allergic or something to the stuff they use but they're all healed now.

Three years ago we were on the Sun to Alaska during an outbreak and, as Pam mentions, the ship's crew really sprang into action with the extra precautions. Between those efforts and lots of hand washing and sanitizing, we managed to stay well.

I think I hate it most when they take the salt and pepper off the table and only the waiter gets to salt your food. Of course, that's one way to cut down on the sodium. ;) We were luckily in Hawaii in one of those cases, and were able to buy our own salt shaker on shore. Nancy

Yes for sure ..people are lazy in not washing there hands sometimes ...and yes wouldn't be surprised if it came on with a passenger from Freemantle ...I have heard now that if someone answers the questions on the form prior to leaving ..and they tick they have had any stomach upsets in the days prior to leaving ..the passenger more than likely will not be let on ??? Sorry to hear the gel had that effect on you Pam ..but I do believe strongly that since the Shipping Lines introduced it ..it cuts down a lot of problems !!:cool:

Archived