getting from Newark airport to JFK airport?

Hi,

We will be flying into the Newark, New Jersey airport and then flying out of the JFK airport to Barcelona. We are a family of five with lots of bags and so I know we can't use a taxi. Are there airport to airport shuttles? I know we could use a limo but those get expensive. How far apart are they? Any advice? Thanks.

Kay

Depending on the time of day it could be an hour ++ to Jfk. No there is no airport to airport shuttles that I know of. Your best bet might be to rent a van though I am not sure how comfortable you would be in NY traffic. A limo though expensive might be your best best. Have you already made the reservations? If not you should just try to fly directly to JFK.

Wow, thanks for the quick response. We've already made our reservations and we have about a 6 hour lay over there, so maybe we'll just rent a van and then maybe look around a bit also. Thanks again. :)

Kay

i wouldn't look around too much...getting OUT of newark and INTO JFK can be a PITA as well........

what seems like 5 or 6 hours in actuality may only be 2 depending on traffic, etc. plus, don't forget you will have to check in again, go thru security again (which at jfk can be LLLOOONNNGG....) PLUS there ALWAYS seems to be construciotn on the roads around BOTH airports.:eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i wouldn't look around too much...getting OUT of newark and INTO JFK can be a PITA as well........

what seems like 5 or 6 hours in actuality may only be 2 depedning on traffic, etc. plus, don't forget you will have to check in again, go thru security again (which at jfk can be LLLOOONNNGG....) PLUS there ALWAYS seems to be construciotn on the roads around BOTH airports.:eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

True, point taken. Especially when we don't know our way around. I definitely don't want to miss our flight. I found the website you directed me too and am getting prices now. Thanks again. :)

also mentioned on the boards often (i haven't used either, but new yorkers bring them up!) are

dial 7 car service www.dial7.com

or carmel limo www.carmellimo.com

not sure exactly what they offer, but depending on the cost of the airporter.....

also you could probably call olympic and see what a van for the 5 (??) of you would cost.....

At three o'clock on a Monday afternoon, It took us two hours to go from JFK to EWR. NOT A FUN TRIP. You need to allow one hour after landing to get luggage, and get to your limo.( I would recommend having one waiting for you). Allow two hours traffic. And then you should allow at least two hours to check in and go through security at JFK. FIve hours seems like a lot of time for this, but it really is needed. I would NEVER do this connection again unless I had a limo waiting and allowed at least five and half to six hours. We almost missed the plane. We landed early or we would not have made it. ( We came from Barcelona with a stop in Geneva). I have never seen such a traffic snarl/ gridlock and I grew up in L.A.

Connie

True, point taken. Especially when we don't know our way around. I definitely don't want to miss our flight. I found the website you directed me too and am getting prices now. Thanks again. :)

But you will get great view of Statue of Liberty and NY skyline from EWR!

Don't forget that your JFK flight is an international one, meaning you need to check in two hours before flight time at the VERY least. Be sure to check that with your airline. You certainly don't have time to look around NYC and there is no way I would risk renting a vehicle and getting lost. Having a car service waiting for you at Newark is the way to go, IMO.

Happy cruising,

Susan

Don't forget that your JFK flight is an international one, meaning you need to check in two hours before flight time at the VERY least. . . . .

Happy cruising,

Susan

I apologize if this is slightly off topic, but think it is also relevant to the original poster's question. Anyway, we also fly from JFK to Barcelona; but unlike the original poster, our flights to/from Dallas are both in and out of JFK so thankfully don't have to mess with transportation to/from Newark. However, we have about a 4-5 hour layover in JFK on the way home. Wondering how much free time that actually gives me. Assume I have to go thru customs in JFK before my final flight back to DFW? Anyone know how that works? And how much time should I plan on that taking? Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. We really thought we had alot more time than we actually did. Glad to know the reality of it all. We won't waste any time getting from one airport to the other. I'd rather be a little early than too late.

Kay

In July we flew into JFK. My mom arranged Carmel Limo to pick us up and bring us to the hotel (which was a trek). The van cost (I think) $120 and it fit five of us and our luggage. It was a tight ride but we call fit. I would imagine it would be about the same Newark to JFK but I can't be sure.

We did leave a backpack in the van and the drive drove it to us in Manhattan on a later day. Quite nice.

I apologize if this is slightly off topic, but think it is also relevant to the original poster's question. Anyway, we also fly from JFK to Barcelona; but unlike the original poster, our flights to/from Dallas are both in and out of JFK so thankfully don't have to mess with transportation to/from Newark. However, we have about a 4-5 hour layover in JFK on the way home. Wondering how much free time that actually gives me. Assume I have to go thru customs in JFK before my final flight back to DFW? Anyone know how that works? And how much time should I plan on that taking? Thanks

The only international travel I've done in recent years has been to Vancouver, Canada. In that situation, you clear U.S. Customs at the Vancouver Airport as you leave, so I'm not up on how it is handled when you have a connecting flight in the U.S. You might be able to clear customs at DFW since it's an international airport with Customs operations. I would call your airline to ask whether it will be JFK or DFW.

When you know which airport, you can check this site to find out average wait times to get through Customs:

http://apps.cbp.gov/awt/

Happy sailing,

Susan

I can't think of a worse way to travel through NY then having to transfer from Newark to JFK or the other way around. I had to make a similar change once from Gatwick to Heathrow (or was it the other way around?) Luckily, a Cunard officer actually drove me (my dad was dying, I was returning ahead of my family, and the Chief Staff Officer was and is a friend. He spoke to this other officer who was glad to do it. Ah, the good old days when THAT was Cunard's style).

No matter what ANYONE says, allot 3 hours for the trip. You MAY not need it, but then again, you might. I live in NJ, about 20 min from EWR and we try ALWAYS to do all our flying from there, usually on Continental. We've gone in and out of JFK a few times and it's always far more of an ordeal. But if you must go, hire a private van in advance...it's worth it.

Better still: Change your reservations. Continental has flights to Barcelona from Newark. We are taking them in December, and have done it before.

Surprise, surprise--Newark is actually a very nice airport, much nicer than JFK--IMHO.

BTW, one of the WORST boarding experiences we had was returning from Barcelona...the airport was a total disaster and they kept searching all of us.

The only international travel I've done in recent years has been to Vancouver, Canada. In that situation, you clear U.S. Customs at the Vancouver Airport as you leave, so I'm not up on how it is handled when you have a connecting flight in the U.S. You might be able to clear customs at DFW since it's an international airport with Customs operations. I would call your airline to ask whether it will be JFK or DFW.

When you know which airport, you can check this site to find out average wait times to get through Customs:

http://apps.cbp.gov/awt/

Happy sailing,

Susan

Thanks much for the link. I will call American Airlines and find out where we go thru Customs, but I would be willing to bet it is JFK. Just didn't know if that means we have to collect our luggage, or what the procedure is. But you're right. I should just call AA, which I will do.

OP: One other option that no one has mentioned yet (and I'll caveat this by saying given you are 5 people and probably have a lot of luggage might not even be an option for you) is to take U.S. Helicopter from Newark to JFK. Its a very long (12 minute) flight and pre-clears you for security at JFK. The downsides: 1: Its weight restricted (I think you're only entitled to one bag) and 2: Its between $99 and $299 per person (depending on date/time, etc).

Like I said, probably not an option for you, but if you're looking to splurge or take the family on a memorable trip and can afford it and deal with the luggage restrictions, this might be a great option. Personally, I feel this should never be ignored if you're travelling solo (the limo alone from EWR to JFK might cost this much) and is a great option for people from NJ who have to travel out of JFK to save money (i.e. some flights out of JFK in business class are thousands cheaper than the same time out of EWR). Given your family size, I'd probably go with one of the shuttles (or you can hire a private limo service given its 5 of you and it might be comparable).

To the poster that asked whether 5 hours is enough to do anything out of JFK, I'd say probably not if you're looking to go into Manhattan, but you might have some time to go over to Coney Island or something. That being said, while its doable (and even Manhattan to a degree), I wouldn't do it. You're going to be rushed, stressed and you will be taking a risk because traffic to JFK can be a nightmare (for my honeymoon, I travelled out of JFK instead of EWR because we had reward tickets and it took us over 4 hours from NJ (its 55 miles). All of the traffic though that took up the time was those last 10 miles . . .

Wow, I can't believe the stories about going from one airport to another. My husband had some free rental coupons since he travels so much and we had decided we'd just rent a van and drive ourselves over, but maybe we'll just get a limo and leave the driving to someone else. We checked it out and it runs about the same as a shuttle. Thanks again everyone. :)

Kay

Kay, Our driver had a hard time getting thru the maze. I would never have been ale to read a map and know what alternate streets to take when they closed the streets we wanted to turn onto due to high traffic. Our car service was 118 dollars, four of us, one wheelchair, 6 big bags, four carryons..we had an SUV.

Hockeymom, We arrived at JFK from Barcelona. We had to go thru immigration first, checked our passports. Then we had to collect our baggage and go thru customs. We filled out forms on the plane.

To the poster that asked whether 5 hours is enough to do anything out of JFK, I'd say probably not if you're looking to go into Manhattan, but you might have some time to go over to Coney Island or something. That being said, while its doable (and even Manhattan to a degree), I wouldn't do it. You're going to be rushed, stressed and you will be taking a risk because traffic to JFK can be a nightmare (for my honeymoon, I travelled out of JFK instead of EWR because we had reward tickets and it took us over 4 hours from NJ (its 55 miles). All of the traffic though that took up the time was those last 10 miles . . .

I agree - would not be good idea to go sightseeing. Having grown up in NJ, have no "need" to do that, and certainly do remember the traffic. But I am wondering if it is worth asking family from NJ to drive to JFK for lunch. They are special cousins, but they are nervous driving, so we would have to be able to spend at least some quality time together for me to ask them to go to the hassle. Would we have time to leave the airport to go to any type of decent (i.e. family friendly, upscale hamburgers, salads, etc) restaurant?

I agree - would not be good idea to go sightseeing. Having grown up in NJ, have no "need" to do that, and certainly do remember the traffic. But I am wondering if it is worth asking family from NJ to drive to JFK for lunch. They are special cousins, but they are nervous driving, so we would have to be able to spend at least some quality time together for me to ask them to go to the hassle. Would we have time to leave the airport to go to any type of decent (i.e. family friendly, upscale hamburgers, salads, etc) restaurant?

Personally, I'd say no ... my rationale is a little weird, but here goes:

Flying into the NYC area (mind you, I don't know your flight time) can result in delays due to air traffic (or weather or a host of other things). You don't have a huge window of time to begin with and I think its one thing for you to make an assessment of the situation when you arrive and leave the airport to do something, but it is another thing to ask someone to meet you in the area (that's already afraid of driving there) when there's a risk that you might not even be able to meet them (i.e. if you're delayed coming in).

That being said, the one thing you might want to consider is seeing if there are any real restaurants landside (before security) at JFK. I don't know the answer to that.

Just my thoughts. This is also based on my personal feeling about driving to JFK! Needless to say, they might really want to see you, especially if they haven't in a while or won't see you for a few years or something--only you know if its worth it to you/them.

Make sure everyone takes a bathroom break before boarding any vehicle heading to JFK unless, of course, a bus with a facility in the rear. I don't understand why NY won't add a few more lanes to the beltway to JFK. I refuse to book any flight out of that airport because of the traffic congestion.

John L

Archived