Cheap Eats In Alaska?????

SEPyle

Ok, I know the words cheap eats and Alaska don't go together, however with our ever increasing costs at home; I'm looking for good but inexpensive places to eat during our 10 nights independent traveling in Alaska. Actually I'm sure people who aren't venturing inland may want the same advice on the various port of call as well.

I don't know about anyone else, but we're feeling the economic crunch with the cost of everything increasing almost by the day here at home. Likewise, prices are rising in Alaska as well, so more the reason to find the 'finds' so to speak! I'm hoping our Alaska locals will share, since going where the locals eat is always a good choice!

I know we have threads where great places to eat have been mentioned, but having a thread concentrating on value-based choices seems like a good idea.

I'll start by listing where we'll be visiting and hoping others will have experience they want to share:

1. Hoonah/Icy Strait Point

2. Girdwood

3. Homer

4. Soldotna

5. Seward

6. Haines

7. As you see, we're concentrating on the Kenai Penninsula this trip, so ideas along the road between the above stops will sure be appreciated!

Here's some feedback where we've found memorable places to eat w/o breaking the bank:

Talkeetna: 1: Mountain High Pizza-delicious pizza and wonderful calzones; 2: Talkeetna Roadhouse: Their triple berry sourdough pancakes are to die for, and don't be afraid to order just one...they are huge!

Girdwood: Chair 5 - I had a delicious full course dinner not cheap, but worth every penny. The thing I like about this place is that you can order things like great burgers or pizza as well as full meals.

Anchorage - Humpy's: Great Beer Battered Halibut, and great sandwiches!

Juneau: The Thane Ore House - The thing I like is that you can order the all you can eat buffet with wonderful fresh grilled salmon; beer battered halibut; ribs, with a great salad bar with what tastes like a lot of homemade choices or you can order smaller meals off the menue, even hamburgers

Seward: Salmon Bake Restaurant: Good choice, near exit Glacier.

My hope is that we can start a thread to help us all stretch our vacation dollars and still have $'s left over to enjoy our next stop or port of call!

Safeways and Fred Meyers actually have great food. I've eaten in both many times. Very fresh and tables available. Lower cost than restaurants. I also have peanut butter and jelly with a nice loaf of sourdough bread. Good with no fridge needed and hits the spot.

I just received my AAA Western Canada and Alaska tourbook. These tour books are great for finding places to eat along with their rating system and menu price ranges.

Tom

Soldotna...Sal's, right on the highway...I haven't been there for 2 years, but high school basketball teams usually stop there for breakfast when traveling to the Kenai Peninsula. Need I say more?

What a great idea Budget Queen, thanks for the tip!

I just used Google Earth and it looks as though the Fred Meyers will be right on our route to Homer, and not far at all from the Chalet we're staying in outside Soldotna! We'll have facilites to make breakfast, so some bacon, eggs, and a loaf of sourdough bread sounds like a great breakfast- no need to find a place to eat in the morning!

By the way, we're purchasing the Northern Lights coupon book and there are coupons for 2 for 1 sub sandwiches, which is another good savings. We'll be staying in Homer for two nights; then head back to Soldnotna for two nights. We're using the 2 nights for one at Stillwaters Chalets. It's a beautiful A-Frame which looks very nice. I'm not up to really roughing it, and this seems like a great value! We're doing a 1/2 day fishing charter so will either stop at Fred Meyers or pick up a sub on the way. And oh yes, hopefully we'll be able to eat fresh fish for dinner!:)

In Homer breakfast will be included, however we'll have a full kitchen there too. Any tips? Our biggest challenge is that we love to eat out, but easy and good cooking in will work too!

Just in case anyone wondered, which I seriously doubt if ir crosses your mind, but Fred Meyer is owned by Kroger, and if you are familiar with Kroger, Fred Meyer will look like home. They even take your card, although a co-worker was up there last year, and said Fred Meyer employees didn't know they were part of Kroger. We be a biiiiiig company!

Krogerlady

I actually googeled Fred Meyer so I could find out where they're located in Alaska. In doing so I did see the Kroger logo. I didn't know Fred Meyer stores are part of the Kroger family.

If anyone is interested; here's the link to the page where you can locate the various stores throughout Alaska.

http://clients.mapquest.com/fredmeyer/mqlocator?link=find

I ate at the Smoke Shack in Seward tonight. Great food at very reasonable prices. The restaurant is in a train car at the harbor across from the railroad.

Great food at very reasonable prices sound like just the kind of place we love! What type of food? That question is no longer a question. I just googled it and came across a great website that lists most the restrauants in Seward. If anyone is interested, here's the link for the Smoke Shack.

http://www.eatyourway.com/smokeshack/index.htm

By the way, GMoney, the info states it's only open till 3pm. You mentioned you were there tonight. Have the hours expanded? I also googled a couple reviews. One review stated the eggs benedict is the best they had ever had, anywhere! Now that sounds like a great place to eat!

By the way, I'll also list the home page because it should help people decide where they want to eat anywhere in Seward:

http://www.eatyourway.com/

Thanks again!

Great food at very reasonable prices sound like just the kind of place we love! What type of food? That question is no longer a question. I just googled it and came across a great website that lists most the restrauants in Seward. If anyone is interested, here's the link for the Smoke Shack.

http://www.eatyourway.com/smokeshack/index.htm

By the way, GMoney, the info states it's only open till 3pm. You mentioned you were there tonight. Have the hours expanded? I also googled a couple reviews. One review stated the eggs benedict is the best they had ever had, anywhere! Now that sounds like a great place to eat!

By the way, I'll also list the home page because it should help people decide where they want to eat anywhere in Seward:

http://www.eatyourway.com/

Thanks again!

Their hours are 7am - 8pm. They serve great burgers, burritos and BBQ. The cranberry apple pie was the best!

In Icy Strait Point/Hoonah - try the fresh cooked crab at "The Office" bar in town. Served with a choice of homade potato salad or seafood chowder. Last Aug. we ate lunch there after our whale watch cruise with Floyd of F.I.S.H.E.S. Also wash it down with a nice cold Alaska Pale Ale beer. Yumm!!!:D

Linda, I'm sure someone will share a good choice for Sitka. I haven't been there yet, so I don't know. I do remember someone in a review mentioning a good place to eat, so until someone gives a tip, why not do a search on this board. Maybe try something like: Restaurants + Sitka. The search feature doesn't work for all boards, so make sure to do the search on the Alaska board.

As far as eating capacity: There are many people who go back on the ship to eat lunch, not everyone eats in town.

This is exactly the thread I'm looking for right now, too! With the cost of the trip, plus all the excursions etc, reasonably priced food options along the way will really help curb costs. I just wanted to say thanks :) I had already started making a list of places that had been recommended, and had Humpys on my Anchorage list so thanks for verifying!

I was told by someone who had been to Fairbanks last summer that there was a great place for fresh Halibut close to the Princess lodge in fairbanks. He could'nt remember the name. Any ideas?

Janice

We might be looking for a lunch spot in Sitka. I can't imagine how eating establishments in these tiny towns accommodate thousands of cruise-ship passengers all at once!

I don't live in Sitka, but I believe that there's not more than one ship at a time in port, not counting the small 100 passenger ships. And since they tender, I doubt everyone gets off. So there's not the 10K passengers which are the average day in Juneau.

I've found dining in Sitka pretty frustrating. There's a couple of hippie/coffee houses with healthy soup/sandwiches and a couple of not great sit-down places, and then Subway and McDonald's for fast food. There's supposed to be a really good fine dining place in the Native neighborhood, but every time I'm in Sitka, it's closed!

Another cheap, quick grocery place in Juneau is the A&P market. It's not in downtown, but is close, out by the State Museum, walking distance from the docks. Fred Meyer and Safeway are out in The Valley. A&P has really good pre-made sandwiches and hot soup, or you could pick up some salmon or crab dip and crackers.

In soldotna - the best coffee and donut / bakery house right on the main hiway - the moose is loose bakery.

In homer - lots of options - great seafood on the spit in the markets - for example there is a cafe counter inside the main fish market house (can't remember the name - but it's the big one right in the middle of the spit down from the salty dog) - sit at the counter for fish and shrimp for relatively cheap. Also in town, there is a quasi southwestern /mexican not-quite-fast food joint on the main street. Homer has tons of options - just go explore.

Seward - I found even the cheap stuff to be expensive. Stick close to the harbor for the cheapest options, and there are some bars downtown which serve cheap eats.

Good side trip - stop in ninilchnik about 20 miles before homer.

I was told by someone who had been to Fairbanks last summer that there was a great place for fresh Halibut close to the Princess lodge in fairbanks. He could'nt remember the name. Any ideas?

Janice

Pike's Landing - if you go, eat on the outside deck and order from the bar menu or it is very expensive

Thanks for all the suggestions. I know these will help us; and others too! As I read the suggestions, I'm making a simple chart which I will attempt to attach to a post...I'll give it a while to see how many suggestions we can collect.

Budget Queen, what a great tip...the bowling alley...who would have thought! Last night I was trying to find options in Sitka and pretty much came to the conclusion they are lacking for good eats! Someone could have a gold mine if they opened a decent cost effecient place in Sitka!

bjksgk, I agree, curbing costs is going to stretch all our vacation dollars this season. To me, it's much better to do so via food options rather than curbing costs with excursions. The way I look at it we'll be eating well on the ship...on land we don't need big fancy meals...but I do have to admit, good food is important to us!

Looking forward to hearing other good tips!

Oh yes, let me add another one: In Denali, when taking the shuttle bus or Tundra Wilderness Tour, you'll want to take food. Subway is right in the middle of what they call Glitter Gulch. On our first trip doing the TWT, we had time to go over and pick up subs. We were sure glad we had them, and don't forget to pick up water or whatever drink you prefer.

Archived