Casa De Campo, Dominican Republic

Don't get discouraged; this is not a very active board and I know before we went to DR this spring I had a hard time getting any information. Seems like not too many posts. We went on one of the buses to Altos de Chavon (sp?) and just wandered around. There is a museum, restaurants, a small shop and art studios there where you can see the artists work and buy their wares. They are students from around the world who come to live there and work and it is affiliated with Parsons school of design in NY. Very laid back. From there you could either go back to the dock and then take another bus into town or take a taxi to the beach. We didn't want to go into town as the reviews were not great and that was confirmed by others who did go from our ship. Some of the people we met on the ship did the excursion rafting and said it wasn't that much fun and definately not worth the price. They didn't get to spend any time at Altos and did not see the museum ect....others went snorkeling through the ship excursions and said the water was beautiful. I believe that you can get day passes at one of the resorts there if beaches are more your thing. Good luck planning.

• 5 weeks later...

We were in Casa de Campo in January and went snorkeling. The catamaran stopped close to shore so we decided to test out the beach--which was supposed to be a national park. It was DISGUSTING. All kinds of trash and medical waste. We asked our boat captain and he said that those tons of trash had washed up there overnight. He insisted they clean the beach every day. I highly doubt that.

Didn't really enjoy this port. Sorry. Would skip it when choosing our next itinerary or stay on the ship and enjoy discounted spa treatments!

• 2 weeks later...

We visited her last Dec. I had absolutely no expectations of this port. I was pleasantly surprised. I took the shuttle to Altos de Chavon and what a nice surprise. Inexpensive to get there, very nice scenery. I went by myself (husband refused to get off the ship!) and was glad I did. I stayed for about an hour. Had my husband come with me, they had some beautiful spots to sit and have a drink or something to eat and we would have done that, maybe next time!

Can anyone tell me what there is to do on this island cruising next year and this is one of our stops. never been here before so i would be interested to see what people do on this island :cool:

if the ship is there at nite tkae the ship's tour for the Kandela show.. spectacular!!!

Archived