texting on island princess with verizon

silverjoe

Hi:

I read somewhere that if you have a verizon unlimited texting plan, that you can use texting on the island princess in Alaska, without incurring any charges.

Does anyone have actual experience with this, rather than a Verizon operator telling them that it is true. They are sometimes misinformed.

Thanks for any feedback.

Joe

Last year we traveled on Celebrity and used texting to stay in contact with the kids...got a nasty $75 surprise when we got home!! Seems since you are connecting to the ship's tower, that is considered non-US soil and they will charge you a roaming fee. I would STRONGLY suggest only using your phone for ANYTHING only when you are off the ship and standing on US soil. Even then, you stand the chance of connecting with the ship's tower, but at least you have a better chance of getting them to remove the charges, as you can prove you were not onboard at the time.

I was told that Verizon customers sometimes even connect with Canadian cell towers when they are near the US border! Just be careful where you are when you use your phone and check your statement when you get it!

Archived