Portland tour questions

Cheryl H

I'm debating between the 3.5 hour Lighthouses of Maine tour which sees 3 lighthouses, and leaves time to explore 1 lighthouse and grounds (assuming we get to go in it).

and

a 6 hour Kennebunkport/Lighthouse tour. This one leaves more time for shopping & lunch in Kennebunkport, but only enough time for a photo at the lighthouse.

Any additional help here would be appreciated. Is Kennebunkport and the drive there not to be missed? We've been to lighthouses before in Michigan, so I'm not exactly opposed to only a photo stop, but I was a little disappointed that we won't get to go in it.

Also we will be there mid October. Will mostly everything be open in Kennebunkport as far as shopping and restaurants? Any suggestions on a lunch destination there?

Also is there anything to see around Newport in the pier area?

Thanks for the information!

Cheryl

I was just going to reply that you can't go in the lighthouse. I would take the Kennebunkport tour. It's a cute town and everything will be open and much quieter that time of year. Not a madhouse , like in summer. Some interesting shops. Good fried clams and steamed - if you prefer.

I really like Allison's restaurant - right downtouwn. They have good food at reasonable prices. Don't pay $20-25 for a lobster roll, please!!

The drive along the ocean there is beautiful and the beaches are nice and they will take you past the Bush Compound and probably give you time to take pictures there. It's right on a point on the ocean. Beautiful setting.

Thanks for the information. I did end up booking the Kennebunkport tour. Looking forward to it. We'll check out Allisons. I'm not sure I would like a lobster roll. I don't like lobster, but I love bread.

I really hope I can find some good fried haddock on this trip somewhere. If not in Kennebunkport, maybe in Boston.

Thanks for the information. I did end up booking the Kennebunkport tour. Looking forward to it. We'll check out Allisons. I'm not sure I would like a lobster roll. I don't like lobster, but I love bread.

I really hope I can find some good fried haddock on this trip somewhere. If not in Kennebunkport, maybe in Boston.

Ask about the fish and chips in the restaurants - it's usually haddock!!

My sister and I are US Lighthouse Society Passport holders. We have booked the Lighthouses of Maine tour. The Portland Head Light gives a passport stamp at the lighthouse museum. Currently we are filling our second lighthouse passport book. Many lighthouses do not give stamps. Some you can climb the towers and some you can't.

We have been to Kennebunkport and have driven along the coast which is beautiful.

In Halifax we are doing the Lobster and Lighthouse tour through the ship, Carnival Victory.

My sister and I are US Lighthouse Society Passport holders. We have booked the Lighthouses of Maine tour. The Portland Head Light gives a passport stamp at the lighthouse museum. Currently we are filling our second lighthouse passport book. Many lighthouses do not give stamps. Some you can climb the towers and some you can't.

We have been to Kennebunkport and have driven along the coast which is beautiful.

In Halifax we are doing the Lobster and Lighthouse tour through the ship, Carnival Victory.

Interesting! I've never heard of the passport program. So is it a membership to an organization? I've been to a couple nice lighthouses in Michigan. One was at Northport, the other was Whitefish Point. Northport was the most interesting to me because you could go up in the light, tour the lighthouse, plus tour the foghorn building.

Also in Oregon, we toured a lightship at a maritime museum. I think that port was Astoria Oregon.

Enjoy your trip. We'll be on the Jewel of the Seas.

Archived