Eastern or Western Caribb?

cruzinmomma

We are sailing on the Disney Magic in September 2009. We booked the Eastern Itenerary (St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Castaway Cay), but I am wondering if the Western would be more fun since it has an extra stop (Key West, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Castaway Cay). We have a (will be) 2 year old and 5 year old. Which is more fun and family friendly?

Thanks!

Ginnie

Also, how are the 5 day Western cruises out of Galveston and New Orleans to Cozumel/Costa Maya for kids (Carnival Fantasy Class)? If they're not too wild, we may take one of those before we go on the Magic next year.

I expect you'll get responses favoring one over the other, but honestly, we've been to all of those ports, except Castaway Cay, when our youngest was 2 (all but Grand Cayman) or 3 (Grand Cayman), and I think either one would be great! At that time, her big brother was 6, then 7.

One thing to consider is that Grand Cayman is a tender port which sometimes gets canceled - we had no problem the day we were there and the Native Way Swim with the Rays, Snorkel and Rum Point excursion was one of the, if not the, best excursion we've had!:D

I think the Eastern is more of a beach oriented trip (although you could certainly seek out other experiences). Key West doesn't offer a lot in regard to beaches - and with the 5 year old, don't wonder into the back of the stores, coz' you'll have to explaining to do! :eek:

Not knowing your preferences or the temperament of your kids, I would suggest you spend a little bit of time on the ports of call boards for each of those ports, and see if anything strikes you as perfect for your family.

Happy planning! :)

I have done both on the Magic. I would go with the Eastern. I like the third sea day (there is a lot to do on the Magic) also the excursions are cheaper(we did mostly beach because we had 2 -5 yr olds with us) Also, we did not like Key West at all. I have been there 2x and I have no need to go there again--not impressed. We are doing a western in 11/09 because it has 2 stops at CC and no Key West. We LOVE CC.

I have been on the Carnival Fantasy and found it to be a party ship. I am not a fan of Carnival so if you go just know that Disney is nothing like them lol. I'm sure you will get a variety of replies but that is my $.02. Have a Magical Cruise.:)

Eastern! With kids that young, Western is kind of a let down. There are MANY age minimums on the Western excursions. My kids were too young for most of them.

So when my kids are older than, say, 12...we will have more options for excursions in the Western carib.

So for now, I say go Eastern.

I agree with I&MsMom, who says that the NativeWay excursion as one of the best. We were on their tour and managed to be the only family, so we had a private tour guise, and an entire boat/stingray encounter all to ourselves. That same tour also makes a stop to the Grand Cayman Turtle Farm, which is very educational for kids.

If you consult with private tour operators, they say "No problem" and cater to families with young children. When our kids were toddlers we couldn't participate in many cruiseline tours due to age restrictions. Instead, we would book with private tour operators and substitute other activities on the tour as needed.

CeleBrat

And here are some pics of that awesome Nativeway excursion. Our kids were 3 and 5 at the time.

The first pic shows that the water was very shallow--my 5 year old could stand.

IMGP1217.jpg

This second pic shows how cool it is to be able to touch a stingray up close--and the fact that we had a personal tour guide. My DD was a little scared--but she was only 3 years old!

DSCF0060.jpg

Is there a significant difference between how cold it is on the Eastern vs. Western vs. Southern cruises? Is the Western more sheltered and therefore less wavy? We are cruising the Carribean in January 2010 with a 14 month old and are trying to decide on an itinerary. I've already seen the Western, but I'm sure we'd do very different things with a little one than when I was 25!

We enjoy the more relaxed pace of sea days ~ we would cruise a seven day portless cruise if it were available! We love seeing the sights but like to balance it well with sea days. You will enjoy your trip, what ever you choose!:)

Archived