Island Princess 19 d. Panama canal review

Tallcruiser

Was on the same cruise as Tallcruiser and enjoyed it immensely. I agree with virtually everything she said about the ports of call. They should take Nicaragua off the itinerary although now I can say I've been there.

Maybe I skimmed over things too quickly, but I didn't see any mention of the norovirus outbreak on this cruise. It happened about two-thirds into the cruise and a number of cabins/cruisers were quarantined. It affected how they served you in the dining rooms (they didn't put bread, butter, salt and pepper on the table) and in the buffet. You simply couldn't server yourself anything. I didn't have a problem with the way they handled it because I know they have to be very careful.

I was able to escape without getting sick on board. BUT, two days after I got home...BOOM! Now I'm a person who doesn't get sick, but I have been sick since returning from the cruise...and still am. We're talking about a month! I've been to the doctor and he says it probably is norovirus because they've ruled out virtually everything else.

What is surprising is that I'm pretty anal about washing my hands and using the disinfectant every time I touch anything. So, I was surprised to come down with it.

I loved the Island Princess, but from what I've read, the Island has been hit more than a few times with this bug. I wonder if they're really getting it off the ship.

Anyway, just curious if anyone else on this cruise had the same problem upon return.

The cruise itself was great.

Oh so sorry Dodger Blue to hear you picked up the bug! I hope you are feeling much better these days! We did mention the Noro a couple times I think both on our "Live" posting and on our roll call. Also here a few posts back. Noro is everywhere. Not just on ships. One our Cruise Critic friends were among the quarantined on ship for a while. No fun for anyone!

I carry the handy wipes in my pockets and even use them on railings and the buttons on the elevators. <<< Knock on wood >>> I have not been hit with it.

Thank you for your in put and I do hope you are feeling top of the world these days.;)

Hi Robin!

This is the best review!! You really write so well and give great info! Great input from others, too. Thanks for taking the time to do it! Can't wait until February! :D

Thanks Terry! I am hoping we will have more posts from fellow cruisers. There is so little on the Western coast itinerary for the Panama cruise. I think the more info we can post the more people we can help.

Whaa hoo see you Soon this summer and of course in Feb.!!!!

Robin:D

Hi Tallcruise! We are on our way to Alaska Sunday on Star Princess - 7 day Seattle round trip. Taking our grandson who just finished 8th grade and off to high school next year. Were with KQuilts just the other day down your way at the Hat. I think you were off somewhere? Be talking to you. Quacker Don and Lee:cool:

My wife and I were also on this cruise. My wife who is anal about washing and touching things got the bug upon arriving in Nicaragua. She was quarantined for both NIcaragua and Guatemala. I never got anything. Go figure.

I wanted to mentioned that in Fuerte Amador we did the Eco-cruise on Gatun Lake. Next to going through the canal this excursion was the best. We visited several of the island on Gatun Lake. We saw Howler monkey, a 3-toed slough, white faced monkeys (don't remember their actual names). And a colony of baby crocodiles. I counted 13 of them. They even brought one into our boat.

I've posted the photos on my site below.

What did you mean by renting a water taxi in Huatulco? Are there alot of them or did you do this reserve this ahead of time? How much was it and how many people could it take? Were you able to stop to swim?

Was on the same cruise as Tallcruiser and enjoyed it immensely. I agree with virtually everything she said about the ports of call. They should take Nicaragua off the itinerary although now I can say I've been there.

Maybe I skimmed over things too quickly, but I didn't see any mention of the norovirus outbreak on this cruise. It happened about two-thirds into the cruise and a number of cabins/cruisers were quarantined. It affected how they served you in the dining rooms (they didn't put bread, butter, salt and pepper on the table) and in the buffet. You simply couldn't server yourself anything. I didn't have a problem with the way they handled it because I know they have to be very careful.

I was able to escape without getting sick on board. BUT, two days after I got home...BOOM! Now I'm a person who doesn't get sick, but I have been sick since returning from the cruise...and still am. We're talking about a month! I've been to the doctor and he says it probably is norovirus because they've ruled out virtually everything else.

What is surprising is that I'm pretty anal about washing my hands and using the disinfectant everytime I touch anything. So, I was surprised to come down with it.

I loved the Island Princess, but from what I've read, the Island has been hit more than a few times with this bug. I wonder if they're really getting it off the ship.

Anyway, just curious if anyone else on this cruise had the same problem upon return.

The cruise itself was great.

I was on the same Island sailing as you, and on the very last night, about 3 A M, I woke up with severe stomach cramps. On the drive home to Arizona that day, we had to make a number of pitstops, if you know what I mean.:( As you know we completed the cruise May 10; and it is only this week that I have been starting to feel better.

We are also in touch with another couple we met on the cruise, and she came down with this 3 days prior to the completion of the cruise. She's been to the doctor 2 times already, on antibiotics, and other probiotics; but she is still suffering. Her doctor tested her stool and said she had a C-diff infection, which she probably picked up on the cruise. Based on our symptoms and the length of time we are suffering, it is not Noro. I looked up information on C-diff and believe I also picked it up on the ship. I did not eat or drink at any time in the ports. I have always been extemely hygenic in my practices, and I believe I couldn't have been any more cautious while on this cruise.

I did not make a trip to my doctor because it's almost impossible to get an appointment that is not a month down the line. So I just kept taking acidophilus several times a day for the last month. You may want to try it. It is over-the-counter and relatively inexpensive. In some cases, antibiotics for C-diff can be counterproductive. Hoping you improve very soon. I know, it isn't fun.:cool:

Hi Don and Lee, (Quacker)

Thanks for trying to call. I am sorry I missed you. Happy Anniversary and Happy Retirement!! I know you will enjoy your Alaskan Cruise.... I wish I were going. Your Grandson is a lucky guy! Tell me how you enjoyed it when you get back!! I wish you calm seas and clear sky's! Bon Voyage!

Hi born2cruise and ginagirl! I missed not meeting you our cruise!!! I am so sorry to hear that you also were sick! I know of a couple of other people who came down with other maladies than noro. And they were careful also. I think anytime we spend extended time in a some what confined area we may expect some viruses. I do know that there was Pink eye on the ship as our waiter one night had it. One of our other CCers did get the Bronchitis that was going around. I truly hope you are all feeling better. We do what we can do to prevent it in our own capacity and the rest is a crap shoot. ginagirl I really feel for you ..... you drive home could not have been good. I know there are FEW "Pit Stops" between here and AZ!!:eek: Bless your heart!

Thank you born2cruise for telling us a little about you eco-cruise in Fuerto Amador. I would love to hear about your other experiences in ports. There is so little on our boards about the Western side of the Panama canal cruise.

I just found this about Fee's on airlines. I think it is helpful because a lot of us still fly to our ports as well!!

• 6 months later...
You give great tips. My wife and I have sailed Princess a couple dozen times and we always say they should have a seminar for cruisers of the do and don't when on shore. I agree sooooo much with the Huatulco review we rented a water taxi for a couple hours and saw 5 bays and around 20 beaches. We loved the blow holes from the water and rocks as we made our way around the bays. The place is prisitine, we are going back throught the PC on the Coral April 26,2009. It was that much fun.......

We'll be on this cruise also. The CCer's posts have been very informitive. Curious about the Huatulco water taxi. Were you able to get on any of the beaches from the water taxi? We've been to Cabo, Acapulco and Costa Rica and all the way through the Canal several times but have never been on the Coral. So looking forward to it. :)

We'll be on this cruise also. The CCer's posts have been very informitive. Curious about the Huatulco water taxi. Were you able to get on any of the beaches from the water taxi? We've been to Cabo, Acapulco and Costa Rica and all the way through the Canal several times but have never been on the Coral. So looking forward to it. :)

Thanks, we had such an epic cruise. Huatulco is still unspoiled and pristine. Most of the coved beaches were accessible only by boat. Roads had not been put in as of last April/May. I did see water taxis available in the tiny port. It is just a gem.

Island Princess is one of my all time favorite ships. The Coral is her sister ship. A friend and CCer is on the Coral NOW giving a LIVE update. Check it out.

LIVE from the Coral Princess - Jan. 6-20, 2009 - Cruise Critic Message Boards

Bon Voyage have an Epic cruise!:D

Robin;)

Archived