independent tours from ship to Ho chi Minh city

travelax

We are sailing in November and will be docking in Vung Tao. Does anyone have suggestions for an independent tour or private guide who can show us the city and any other interesting sites available to us in the 9-10 hours available. I understand that the city is 2.5 hrs from the port.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would take the hydrofoil from Vung Tao to Saigon lets you off right downtown and there are a ton of tours offered from that point if you feel comfortable enough to go out on your own. The hydrofoil only takes about one hour if I remember correctly, so much faster than by bus or car.

I would take the hydrofoil from Vung Tao to Saigon lets you off right downtown and there are a ton of tours offered from that point if you feel comfortable enough to go out on your own. The hydrofoil only takes about one hour if I remember correctly, so much faster than by bus or car.

Most of the cruise lines will NOT allow you to take the hydrofoil. There have just been tooooo many problems. Got to take the 2.5+ hour drive to Saigon.

My first recommendation is always IndoChinaTravel. http://www.indochinatravel.com/

Their "Saigon guy" is well versed in Westerners. His dad was an interpretor for the US Army many years ago.

Most of the cruise lines will NOT allow you to take the hydrofoil. There have just been tooooo many problems. Got to take the 2.5+ hour drive to Saigon.

My first recommendation is always IndoChinaTravel. http://www.indochinatravel.com/

Their "Saigon guy" is well versed in Westerners. His dad was an interpretor for the US Army many years ago.

I sort of curious what do you mean won't let you take the Hydrofoil... how do they go about keeping you from using them?????

Or is it just that they are having mechanical problems and express concern with you making it back on time?

I sort of curious what do you mean won't let you take the Hydrofoil... how do they go about keeping you from using them?????

Or is it just that they are having mechanical problems and express concern with you making it back on time?

I have been in Vung Tau (business-international logistics) when the cruise ships have come in. NOT only is it posted all over the ship and outside NOT to take the hydrofoil, but the ship blocks off the way to the ferry IF your ship docks in the "normal" pier in Vung Tau. That makes for a LONG walk around.

It is not so much mechanical problems (although they happen frequently enough) but the hydrofoils get caught in fishing nets frequently. Then you have no place to go-can't even get on another boat, as the rescue boat can't get close enough to transfer pax, as it may also get caught in the net. You have to wait until the net is cut away and the boat is free.

IF you book a TOUR that uses the hydrofoil for transport to Saigon, you will probably be OK, as the tour company will send a shuttle to get you to the hydrofoil. But trying to get to the hydrofoil on your own MAY present real problems. And even with an independent tour, you may not make it back to the ship on time. Once you are on the hydrofoil, control is out of your hands.

I can verify that the hydrofoils can cause problems. We went on a tour (via Princess and the hydrofoil) and returned to ship on time at the end of it. The ship didn't leave on time though - approximately 3 hours late. When we asked why it was because one of the hydrofoils on a Princess tour had had engine trouble.

The ship waited for them but imagine if you had been doing it on your own? How much is the air fare to the next port?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried this approach? Take the ship's On Your Own transportation to HCMC and then have a guide meet you at the drop off point. I realize part of the reason to take a private tour is that you won't be on a large bus with 40 or 50 other people, but when I researched private tours from Vung Tau it appeared that their transportation (although via mini-van and not big bus) still would take about 2-1/2 hours. Could anyone who has already taken a private tour from Vung Tau tell me the approximate time from port to city when you had the private tour company pick you up at the port. What time did you leave HCMC and how much time did you spend in the city? I think with the ship's On Your Own (with Princess) you arrive around 11am and leave the city at 3pm. Thanks.

Has anyone tried this approach? Take the ship's On Your Own transportation to HCMC and then have a guide meet you at the drop off point. I realize part of the reason to take a private tour is that you won't be on a large bus with 40 or 50 other people, but when I researched private tours from Vung Tau it appeared that their transportation (although via mini-van and not big bus) still would take about 2-1/2 hours. Could anyone who has already taken a private tour from Vung Tau tell me the approximate time from port to city when you had the private tour company pick you up at the port. What time did you leave HCMC and how much time did you spend in the city? I think with the ship's On Your Own (with Princess) you arrive around 11am and leave the city at 3pm. Thanks.

It is going to take 2-2.5 hours to get into Saigon any way you look at it. The traffic is horrendous.

You would be perfectly fine taking the ship bus into Saigon and then sightseeing. You could get the highlights in 4 hours.

Presidential Palace and War Remnants museum should probably be your first stops. IF you have any connection to the Vietnam War (or are just interested), the Presidential Palace was filled with CIA during the war. In the basement are all the old teletype machines and great maps of VC encampments. And Bldg 5 of the War Remnants Museum holds all the anti war propaganda stuff, including pictures of Hanoi Jane and a VERY prominent US Senator hanging out with the North Vietnamese. Bldg three is a DIRECT slam to the US-I walked in and walked back out. DH wouldn't enter (and funny thing about that was-I was in Vietnam during the war (USO). DH had a low lottery number and didn't go). Enjoy!!!!

Greatam: Thanks for the information. We have been to HCMC on another cruise and did the On Your Own transportation and then did a rickshaw ride over to the Reunification Hall (what an experience on the rickshaw blending in with the motor scooters)! We also did the Ben Than Market and the streets of HCMC--all on our own and ended up on the rooftop of the Rex Hotel for a beer. This time we are thinking of going to Cholon and the Binh Tay Market and the War Remnants Museum and thought a guide to get us to Cholon would be the way to go. Thanks again.

We are sailing in November and will be docking in Vung Tao. Does anyone have suggestions for an independent tour or private guide who can show us the city and any other interesting sites available to us in the 9-10 hours available. I understand that the city is 2.5 hrs from the port.

That`s the problem with big ships. There will be less and less ports for them to visit. There is already concern in the Med because of the monster floating theme parks that swamp small towns ( even Venice ) and islands. Bigger is definately not better.:(

That`s the problem with big ships. There will be less and less ports for them to visit. There is already concern in the Med because of the monster floating theme parks that swamp small towns ( even Venice ) and islands. Bigger is definately not better.:(

We were on a lovely small ship in April - Oceania's Nautica, - and we were docked right in the heart of HCMC. It made it so easy for sightseeing etc. We now only ever cruise on the smaller ships. They also seem to have the best itineraries.

Jennie

We were on a lovely small ship in April - Oceania's Nautica, - and we were docked right in the heart of HCMC. It made it so easy for sightseeing etc. We now only ever cruise on the smaller ships. They also seem to have the best itineraries.

Jennie

So right AG. I shall be on the top cruiseline in Feb in downtown HCMC and look forward to the easy access to the sights. :)

Pat,

We used a guide for our two days in HCMC (went to the Mekong Delta one day and did the City highlights on the second) but many of our friends either took a taxi into the city or even walked though it was extremely hot and humid (April).

It is a lovely city and I wished we had a longer stay there as there is a lot to see. Many went off to the night market (one night) and brought back some great buys.

Just be careful crossing the roads, the cars and motor bikes do not stop!

Jennie

Hi Jennie

We are also landing at the Saigon port. It it easy to do things on your own from there and how do you get around in HCMC? Pat

Gail,

Actual ocean port is Vung Tau for larger ships (ie, Legedn of the Seas, et). Smaller ships can go up river to Saigon and unload right into the center of Saigon. In some ways once you are downtown you can almost walk to many of the points of interest and enjoy of ambiance of the old downtown area near the river. Others decide to head out into the countryside (Mekong Delta, Cu Chi tunnels, etc) I like to walk the old town (along the river, Rex Hotel, Pres Palace, Catholic (Cao Dai???) Cathederal), Opera and government bldgs downtown, and the old zoo and amusement park, and the Open Market (under roof cover)). If out at Vung Tau it will take around 2hrs each way to get into the city by bus or taxi... not sure why but the cruise lines seem to want to redirect people from using the hydrofoil system between Vung Tau and Saigon which if working right is much much faster. Haven't been able to get a "rational" up to date reason for that, except that the service is unreliable... any one know if that is currently still the situation... seem to run fine when last there a couple of years ago.

Archived