Jeans in Dining Room

sweetladyjc

Hi,

I have a group of 38 people cruising the end of July. Many of which are in there young 20's. I have heard conflicting things about the dress attire in the dining rooms. This is my 5th Carnival cruise and over the years I have always known to dress as casual resort wear to dinner. Is this still the case or is Carnival allowing guests to wear jeans in the dining room for dinner?

I am thinking the guys would like to wear jeans with a polo or button down shirt while the ladies wear jeans with a dress shirt and shoes :confused:

I have not been on Carnival in a couple of years so when I booked for this Thanksgiving I decided to go read up on the dress policy and if I recall correctly the dress policy includes jeans except on formal nights. If I am not recalling this correctly I am sure MANY will let me know:rolleyes:

I have a question more than a comment.

Would you feel comfortable wearing jeans to an very nice, upscale restaurant at home?:rolleyes:

Hi Cotton!

I think it depends on where you are from.. Many many upscale restaurants in NYC allow jeans..- as long as they are nice jeans ;)

Many areas in the country it would not be allowed..

With that said, the OP should follow Carnival's rules...Which I think allow Jeans in the restaurant on casual evenings...Now I would not wear them on a cruise..ever!

Just my two cents!:)

We are also going away in July, on the Miracle. While I agree with the others about jeans in the dining room, and I am not packing any jeans there is Carnival's official guidelines. As follows:

>>Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.<<

So, if you must wear jeans, you can. It's all what you feel comfortable with! Have fun!

The OP wants an answer, not an opinion, guys. You may not agree with the dress code, but it is what it is.

You are allowed to wear jeans in the dining room except on "Elegant" nights, you can even wear dress shorts, like Dockers. On "Elegant" night, you do have to dress up some. Some wear formal gown and even tuxedos. I usually wear a cocktail dress or nice pants suit. My husband wears a tie, may or may not wear a suit jacket. We usually change right after dinner back into our comfy clothes.

The OP wants an answer, not an opinion, guys. You may not agree with the dress code, but it is what it is.

You are allowed to wear jeans in the dining room except on "Elegant" nights, you can even wear dress shorts, like Dockers. On "Elegant" night, you do have to dress up some. Some wear formal gown and even tuxedos. I usually wear a cocktail dress or nice pants suit. My husband wears a tie, may or may not wear a suit jacket. We usually change right after dinner back into our comfy clothes.

Amen!

Hi,

I have a group of 38 people cruising the end of July. Many of which are in there young 20's. I have heard conflicting things about the dress attire in the dining rooms. This is my 5th Carnival cruise and over the years I have always known to dress as casual resort wear to dinner. Is this still the case or is Carnival allowing guests to wear jeans in the dining room for dinner?

I am thinking the guys would like to wear jeans with a polo or button down shirt while the ladies wear jeans with a dress shirt and shoes :confused:

Yes jeans are allowed. They have been for years and now they have it clearly written in their dress code. You are also now allowed to wear shorts of casual nights.

Though jeans are allowed, (don't have a problem with that) on our last cruise I declined to offer gratuities to our "Maître de la salle à manger". This is the first time I have done so and it was due to him extending a "Welcome" at the door to a 20 something male dressed in "Bum-Casual" on "Elegant" night. He had very faded and baggy jeans with a collarless shirt.The kid was even wearing a backwards baseball cap.:rolleyes:

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I have never worn jeans in the dining room on any ship that I have been on, but in my group are a couple of first time males in their young 20's that would feel more comfortable in jeans. I just wanted to make sure they had the option. Didn't want to tell them they had to wear slacks and they get there and see others in jeans. :rolleyes:

Thanks again. I couldn't find the information on Carnivals website. You guys are great. :D

We ate at the buffet after returning from St. Thomas & St. Martin as we didn't feel like changing out of our jean shorts. The next time we had dinner in the dining room our waiter asked where we were and we explained the above. He said shorts...even jean shorts...were allowed except on formal night.

Yes, according to Carnival's policy, jeans are allowed in the dining room.

I think the real question your friends need to consider is - would they feel comfortable wearing jeans in a formal setting? Even though Carnival is allowing jeans, there will still be white tablecloths, cloth napkins, and formal place settings. Personally, I would feel very underdressed wearing jeans in that atmosphere.

Having said that, I'm not a person in my early twenties :o, with (I assume) a fairly casual accumulated wardrobe and limited funds. In other words, I don't have to buy a whole new wardrobe before I go on a cruise. If I were, I might be looking at this from an entirely different perspective.

Hi,

Copy off the information from the Carnival website and give everyone a copy. Then, let them decide what they want to do... Here it is:

What to Wear?spacer.gifCasual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Seaview Bistro on the Lido Deck is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Special Sailings

For Canada/New England/Alaska cruises: Sweaters, lightweight jackets and raincoats are suggested. Casual clothes that can be layered easily are highly recommended. Bring a heavier sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas.

For South America and Europe cruises: Comfortable shoes and a just-in-case raincoat. Bring a sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas. Special note: It is essential that you wear the proper apparel when visiting the Vatican and other religious sites (no bare legs or shoulders).

It's VERY Clear. Attire in the dining room:

• Jeans ARE allowed on casual nights.
  • Jeans are NOT allowed on "Elegant" nights (formal nights).

Re-read the response above mine. It is a copy and paste from Carnival's website.

I have a question more than a comment.

Would you feel comfortable wearing jeans to an very nice, upscale restaurant at home?:rolleyes:

I, too, live on the Mississippi coast and would wear nice jeans to just about any restaurant around here! ;)

With that said....I am packing for four people and don't plan on packing any jeans, mainly because of the luggage situation.

My DH and DS will be wearing khakis and shorts in the dining room because 1) they are allowed, 2) they are cooler and more comfortable and 3) they take up less room in luggage!

I'm sure they won't be the only ones!

I' date=' too, live on the Mississippi coast and would wear nice jeans to just about any restaurant around here! ;)

With that said....I am packing for four people and don't plan on packing any jeans, mainly because of the luggage situation.

My DH and DS will be wearing khakis and shorts in the dining room because 1) they are allowed, 2) they are cooler and more comfortable and 3) they take up less room in luggage!

I'm sure they won't be the only ones![/quote']

You're on a cruise in the Caribbean. Relax, dress down. It's allowed and you will be among many others doing the same. I wouldn't worry about getting the "stink eye" from those playing dress up.

Though jeans are allowed, (don't have a problem with that) on our last cruise I declined to offer gratuities to our "Maître de la salle à manger". This is the first time I have done so and it was due to him extending a "Welcome" at the door to a 20 something male dressed in "Bum-Casual" on "Elegant" night. He had very faded and baggy jeans with a collarless shirt.The kid was even wearing a backwards baseball cap.:rolleyes:

Herein lies the problem.....who decides "which jeans" are "nice". To those who wore "Bum Casual" ... they may have thought these were "nice jeans".

It is a slippery slope the only adds to the Walmart comments about Carnival.

:cool: :cool: I am all for comfort and think people should do what they are most comfortable with, with that said - if they want to attend the formal evenings they will have to wear dress pants or such. Also, I have a son the same age and he does have a pair of dress pants in the event of weddings, funerals, graduation etc so I am sure they all have something in their closests and believe me, folded once they will not take up valuable room in a suitcase. You will get all sorts of opinions and quotes but in the end it is their choice.:cool: :cool:

:cool: :cool: I am all for comfort and think people should do what they are most comfortable with, with that said - if they want to attend the formal evenings they will have to wear dress pants or such. Also, I have a son the same age and he does have a pair of dress pants in the event of weddings, funerals, graduation etc so I am sure they all have something in their closests and believe me, folded once they will not take up valuable room in a suitcase. You will get all sorts of opinions and quotes but in the end it is their choice.:cool: :cool:

By all means....my ds and dh do have dress clothes and WILL be wearing them should they attend "elegant" dining nights. The point I was trying to make was about jeans being worn on the other nights!;)

They will definitely wear formal attire for the "elegant" nights. Thats without a question. I just know they would prefer not to wear slacks to dinner every night on the cruise if they had a choice. As for the women, we always dress up so we are never a problem when it comes to our attire for dining. My DH and I are also in our 20's but this isn't our first cruise as I stated and we have the attire for it. And plus, I personally think its nice to dress up for dinner, makes for better photo ops. :)

However I cant control what others want to do and how they want to dress. So giving them the option works best for me. Thanks G'ma for copying the information from Carnival. I will send them an email with this as well as give them my personal opinion and then let them decide from there.

Archived