Jeans in Dining Room

sweetladyjc

Is it the Song Jean Jean...

Maybe Mr. Green Jeans...

Or are they American Blue jeans.. Best COTTON in the World! US Cotton!

The UNITED STATES NAVY invented Blue Jeans and Bell Bottoms too.

Largest mfg of Denim as well Corduroy was G_reenwood Mills, Inc. a great American firm!

On ships they did have an American Farmers convention and yes on the Captains Formal Night everyone wore American Made Blue Jean Overalls there.

So I guess the Bottom line is::

___________________________________________________X

Its not whats on the person its really whats inside the person which counts most..eh...:cool:

Is it the Song Jean Jean...

Maybe Mr. Green Jeans...

Or are they American Blue jeans.. Best COTTON in the World! US Cotton!

The UNITED STATES NAVY invented Blue Jeans and Bell Bottoms too.

Largest mfg of Denim as well Corduroy was G_reenwood Mills, Inc. a great American firm!

On ships they did have an American Farmers convention and yes on the Captains Formal Night everyone wore American Made Blue Jean Overalls there.

So I guess the Bottom line is::

___________________________________________________X

Its not whats on the person its really whats inside the person which counts most..eh...:cool:

I have tried numerous times, But I have to say that I have the most difficult time trying to disipher your posts.

What is it that you need answered then?

If you need to decipher ?

When I post I hope it was clear enough for youall and most to understand.:cool:

I have tried numerous times, But I have to say that I have the most difficult time trying to disipher your posts.

I want to see a picture of that ; )

I don't wear jeans in the dining room on casual nights, but my daughter has worn them with a nice shirt.

This subject has no answers. Nobody listens to anyone else, and particularly those who are all about "vacation" and "relaxed".

Can't explain that it's not "jeans" so much as "jeans with what"; sport coat and loafers? fine. Sneakers and a muscle shirt? not fine. Also can't explain that it's "what kind of jeans"; oil-changing jeans? "stylishly" torn jeans? not fine.

Can't explain that if Carnival didn't enforce their prior rules which led to the grand equivocation of "jeans = pants and slacks = pants, therefore jeans = slacks", there's little to suggest that they'll enforce their new rules, and the next wave "jeans in the mess hall" threads will be about whether speedos are acceptible since folks are wearing already their bathing suits to dinner. Hey! Speedos dry faster, so they're better. Right?

Can't explain that dining is not simply eating; that it's more than filling your gullet; that much more than the taste of the food is involved; that it's why they bother with dining room decoration in the first place. If surrounding visual cues weren't important to dining, they'd feed passengers on wooden slab benches under chipped formica tables, and give you a plastic knife and "spork" to eat with and one-ply, scratchy Scot towels to wipe your chin with -- since no one is wearing sleeves.

Can't explain that there's a fundamental difference between trail grub and what they teach at Le Cordon Bleu, and that the purpose of dinner on a cruise ship is far closer to the latter, while many people are trying to rationalize dressing for the former.

Can't explain that it doesn't "ruin" anyone's dinner, vacation or cruise to see someone in cargo shorts, John Deere baseball cap [what team did John Deere play for?], and an R-rated t-shirt, but that it still doesn't belong; it's a distraction, it's a preventable distraction, and just like the distraction caused by a married couple having a loud spat two tables over, it interrupts the dinner and conversation others are trying to have, and that makes it rude.

Can't explain that no matter how important you think you are, you are nothing more than part of someone else's scenery in any social setting, and if the scenery clashes by being loud, smelly or visually jarring, you are a distraction to others.

Can't explain that it doesn't matter the type or source of distractions; they all -- by definition -- distract.

Can't explain that every single person notices the myriad things which don't belong and by participation in this type of discussion they make comment upon at least one such item, but that trying to find excuses why the things which don't belong really do belong is grand rationalization, and a self-righteous attempt to make themselves seem like "better people" for allowing it than those who merely notice and comment and do not make excuses: they don't belong.

Because, in the end, it's about appealing to the masses, which constitutes social entropy. The end result is that we'll be squatting in the mud sooner or later. In the meantime, appealing to the masses means that convenient rationalizations, and the sloppy, self-involved thinking which creates them, must be accepted as rational. So the "it's my vacation" dodge is a good excuse for not only wearing what you want, but also wearing nothing; the "I paid for it" dodge ought to be good enough to allow belching and nose-picking at the table; and the "it doesn't change the taste of the food" dodge works for those who wish to excuse chewing with their mouths open and making a pile of spit-out fish bones and gristle in the middle of the table.

This same discussion will be here in a year. Continue to not listen to anyone but your self-important selves.

This subject has no answers. Nobody listens to anyone else, and particularly those who are all about "vacation" and "relaxed".

Can't explain that it's not "jeans" so much as "jeans with what"; sport coat and loafers? fine. Sneakers and a muscle shirt? not fine. Also can't explain that it's "what kind of jeans"; oil-changing jeans? "stylishly" torn jeans? not fine.

Can't explain that if Carnival didn't enforce their prior rules which led to the grand equivocation of "jeans = pants and slacks = pants, therefore jeans = slacks", there's little to suggest that they'll enforce their new rules, and the next wave "jeans in the mess hall" threads will be about whether speedos are acceptible since folks are wearing already their bathing suits to dinner. Hey! Speedos dry faster, so they're better. Right?

Can't explain that dining is not simply eating; that it's more than filling your gullet; that much more than the taste of the food is involved; that it's why they bother with dining room decoration in the first place. If surrounding visual cues weren't important to dining, they'd feed passengers on wooden slab benches under chipped formica tables, and give you a plastic knife and "spork" to eat with and one-ply, scratchy Scot towels to wipe your chin with -- since no one is wearing sleeves.

Can't explain that there's a fundamental difference between trail grub and what they teach at Le Cordon Bleu, and that the purpose of dinner on a cruise ship is far closer to the latter, while many people are trying to rationalize dressing for the former.

Can't explain that it doesn't "ruin" anyone's dinner, vacation or cruise to see someone in cargo shorts, John Deere baseball cap [what team did John Deere play for?], and an R-rated t-shirt, but that it still doesn't belong; it's a distraction, it's a preventable distraction, and just like the distraction caused by a married couple having a loud spat two tables over, it interrupts the dinner and conversation others are trying to have, and that makes it rude.

Can't explain that no matter how important you think you are, you are nothing more than part of someone else's scenery in any social setting, and if the scenery clashes by being loud, smelly or visually jarring, you are a distraction to others.

Can't explain that it doesn't matter the type or source of distractions; they all -- by definition -- distract.

Can't explain that every single person notices the myriad things which don't belong and by participation in this type of discussion they make comment upon at least one such item, but that trying to find excuses why the things which don't belong really do belong is grand rationalization, and a self-righteous attempt to make themselves seem like "better people" for allowing it than those who merely notice and comment and do not make excuses: they don't belong.

Because, in the end, it's about appealing to the masses, which constitutes social entropy. The end result is that we'll be squatting in the mud sooner or later. In the meantime, appealing to the masses means that convenient rationalizations, and the sloppy, self-involved thinking which creates them, must be accepted as rational. So the "it's my vacation" dodge is a good excuse for not only wearing what you want, but also wearing nothing; the "I paid for it" dodge ought to be good enough to allow belching and nose-picking at the table; and the "it doesn't change the taste of the food" dodge works for those who wish to excuse chewing with their mouths open and making a pile of spit-out fish bones and gristle in the middle of the table.

This same discussion will be here in a year. Continue to not listen to anyone but your self-important selves.

Such drama:rolleyes: This is why we choose to dine with our own group.....or better yet anytime dining with our own group. Different view every night;)

There should be no explanation.......all ya need is a little common sense;)

Such drama:rolleyes: This is why we choose to dine with our own group.....or better yet anytime dining with our own group. Different view every night;)

There should be no explanation.......all ya need is a little common sense;)

Agreed! WAAAAY too much drama over a pair of pants! I don't think anyone who posts here is trying to rationalize wearing their grubby jeans and sweat stained t-shirts in the dining room. I know that the jeans I wear are nice - really nice - and I know how to wear a nice top with them. I'm NOT wearing the same jeans I wear to the deer lease. Common sense at work.

This subject has no answers.

I start off agreeing with you.

... the next wave "jeans in the mess hall" threads will be about whether speedos are acceptible since folks are wearing already their bathing suits to dinner. .

If in 200 years fashion, society and culture deem dining in a restaurant in our speedos is acceptable, than yes, I am sure the cruise lines will follow. And there will always be people that are moored in the past and are resistant to change.

... it still doesn't belong; it's a distraction, it's a preventable distraction, and just like the distraction caused by a married couple having a loud spat two tables over, it interrupts the dinner and conversation others are trying to have, and that makes it rude..Can't explain that no matter how important you think you are, you are nothing more than part of someone else's scenery in any social setting, and if the scenery clashes by being loud, smelly or visually jarring, you are a distraction to others..

I do not agree that a visual distraction is "rude" as you say. I think your "rude" meter may be way off.

My "scenery" does not include you or what you are wearing, unless you are dressed like a clown at the circus. Have you ever asked yourself why what others wear would be so visually distracting to you? Could it be because you want every one to conform to your ideas?

Because, in the end, it's about appealing to the masses, which constitutes social entropy. The end result is that we'll be squatting in the mud sooner or later. In the meantime, appealing to the masses means that convenient rationalizations, and the sloppy, self-involved thinking which creates them, must be accepted as rational. So the "it's my vacation" dodge is a good excuse for not only wearing what you want, but also wearing nothing; the "I paid for it" dodge ought to be good enough to allow belching and nose-picking at the table; and the "it doesn't change the taste of the food" dodge works for those who wish to excuse chewing with their mouths open and making a pile of spit-out fish bones and gristle in the middle of the table.. .

Why so extreme? Why the drama? Social entropy? We are talking about jeans. If the rules allow it, why does it offend you so if I dress more casually than you? I will not feel out of place or insecure if you do dress up. Go ahead and pretend you are at a state dinner, knock yourself out.

I feel it is people that force thier opinions on others that are self-important, and since fashion will always be a subjective topic, then yes, there will always be this type of discussions.

I just got off the Miracle and did wear shorts one night

I did however see sports headbands, ball caps,Muscle shirts and the ever present sweat suits.

I was over dressed and enjoyed my dinner no matter what others wore to the dining room

I did get a good laugh at some in what they consider "casual"

Next cruise I will be wearing sleep pants the entire cruise to dinner as not one staff member said anything about what people wore

To each their own and wear what you feel is right...if you see me smiling and snickering just ingnore me I will not point

This is actually refreshing!

At least they're not complaining about my cigars! :D

Please; no more threads. We're at our 1000 thread max for the millenium! :D

OR my cigarettes:D

Archived