Wedding without guests on Princess or RCC - where do I start?

judihartlin

Hello everyone!

I am planning a wedding for April 2005. We have narrowed cruise lines down to Royal Caribbean or Princess. We would like to be married on the ship in the simplest ceremony possible. Would it be best to bring a JOP on board to marry us before we leave Florida? Or is it just as easy to have it arranged by the cruiseline? Does anyone know the approximate price for a ceremony only?? I have only found pricing for complete packages.

I have read here that RCC does not allow wedding to take place outside even though there would be no guests? Is this true? Does anyone know if Princess has the same silly rule? I am not interested in a chapel wedding.

Does anyone know what is involved for Canadians to get married in Florida as opposed to on board at sea or in a port? Will we need to be in the US for any period of time if we choose this option?

Any advice on a simple on board ceremony for two would be appreciated. Thanks!

Does anyone know what is involved for Canadians to get married in Florida as opposed to on board at sea or in a port? Will we need to be in the US for any period of time if we choose this option?

Congrats on your upcoming marriage, Judi! As far as legalities, I'm not sure about Canadians. I tried doing a little searching this morning. Here is one website that shows various islands in the Caribbean and what is needed to marry at each of them. However, it does not specify requirements of Canadians but it does specify any waiting/residency periods or blood test requirements.

One question I did ask here in the US was with the Social Security Administration to make sure my marriage would be recognized in the ports I was researching before narrowing it down to a decision. Where would be the place that you go to in Canada to change your marital status, name, etc? (I had to change it with Social Security first before I could change it with driver's license, employer, bank accounts, etc). I would contact that place in Canada with a list of places you are considering marrying. Anyone anywhere can give you an answer, but since you want your marriage to be recognized back home, definitely double-check with your own country.:)

If you are not deadset on marrying in Florida I have a suggestion...

If your cruise is going to the US Virgin Islands, you might want to look into marrying there (St Thomas or St John). They are absolutely beautiful and you could do it for very little money. You could marry onboard (Samben's daughter is doing that very soon), on a beach (Soon2BMrs just did last week), on a catamaran in beautiful crystal clear water, or at a villa or church. Lots of gorgeous locations. Plus there are many coordinators to choose from, and if choosing to marry on St John, three actually live on St John (see this thread). St John is two-thirds national park, very hilly/green, home of Trunk Bay, and accessible by a 20-minute ferry from St Thomas. I think you can marry for about $300 (plus the license?) with some of the coordinators listed in that thread I linked.

(I've been to Florida many times, but the USVI are just incredible so I thought I would mention the suggestion of marrying there...)

Another suggestion to go along with marrying in the USVI is a cruise that is actually in port there a long time - from 8AM to 11PM so you could have the option of a sunset wedding. The Zuiderdam (Holland America) is almost two years old and docks in St Thomas from 8A-11P (she cruises the Caribbean year-round out of Fort Lauderdale). Most ships that dock in St Thomas leave by 6PM, so this option gives a much longer (non-rushed) day there where you could still have ample time to marry (even at sunset) and enjoy the island before leaving at 11 PM. Taking the ferry to St John would be simple (that's where we married on a cruise last year). Several years back, Holland America was known as "the wheelchair cruiseline" catering to seniors. They are actually owned by Carnival Corp. now (which also owns Princess) and are beginning to gear more towards a younger clientele. The Zuiderdam and Oosterdam are the newer ships that carry about 1800 passengers and are more "youngish" than the Maasdam and other HAL ships. (There are actually several posts on the HAL boards about how the "more seasoned" HAL cruisers are upset that HAL is moving towards a younger, upbeat generation). No rock-climbing walls, ice skating rinks, etc but a good relaxing cruise. We cruised HAL last year (after experiencing Celebrity and Norwegian) and are returning to HAL again next month (we are ages 30/31). Zuiderdam eastern Caribbean out of FLL - which is why I know this is one of the very few - if only - ships that stays in St Thomas so late (we chose it mostly for that reason so we could return to our wedding beach and not be rushed - couldn't find another itinerary in port at St Thomas that long that leaves out of Florida)... Plus it goes to the British Virgin Islands the next day - Tortola - where you can go to The Baths of Virgin Gorda.

I just thought I would mention this cruiseline / ship because many people have always said "NO" to Holland America - even travel agents - but HAL is moving towards a younger population (particularly its newest ships) and we enjoyed them last year. Not a Carnival crowd, but a more younger upper-middle class crowd from what I have read in recent days (HAL has a new leader instigating changes over time). Our experience with them last year was terrific and hubby had no problems with me booking them again. There are pics of our cruises and wedding on St John in my signature, and you'll also find other brides here on CruiseCritic willing to share pics from various places they married.

Good luck with everything!! :) Just remember that research is the key to a successful ceremony!

Judi,

I am getting married on board the Caribbean Princess in July 05. My fiance and I are both Canadian. When I asked the Wedding Expierence if this was legal or if anything had to be done, I was told that yes it is a legal marriage and that they would take care of getting the marriage license. I would call and ask your questions that you have before booking or making your final decision as they are very helpful in answering anything you want to know.

Good luck,

Shari:p

Archived