pregnancy note

kitty123

Hi we are scheduled to go on a cruise this month. I have 2 daughter in laws that are both pregnant. One will be 21 weeks and the other will be 22 weeks when we go. They both have been given the Ok by their doctors to go...and they will be within the pregnancy guidelines. They will also have the note from the doctor that is required by carnival. The problem is, one of my daughter in law's is VERY LARGE....she looks 8 months pregnant...no lie. My question is, when they see her, are they going to say..."hey you are too far along..you can't board".....because it will be a Saturday and it is not like they can call the doctor....the doctor would not give info over the phone anyway.... Should there be anything for us to worry about?

If she has a letter from her doctor stating that she can cruise, they will let her. It's very difficult to judge someone's degree of pregnancy from their appearance. Go and have a fabulous time!

So they will not try to call the doctor? Because they will not get any info out of him......HIPPA laws...

No. At least they didn't with us.....

They just want something in writing so they won't be held responsible........

We had 2 incidents. One with Carnival and one with RCCL. On Carnival we had a person in our group that was 21 weeks and she just brought a note from her doctor at check in.

The other was a fiasco lol! On RCCL on our sons wedding cruise a member of the wedding party was asked if she had a doctors note (which she didn't) She was actually one week over the limit to cruise. They tried getting ahold of her doctor to no avail. In the end they just had her sign a zillion release forms and let her board......

Did you bring the note with you on check in, or did you fax it to them before hand? Was this Carnival?

Even if Carnival asks for it to be faxed, be sure you have a copy in your possession when you board. Communication between the home office and the people who actually board you isn't always the greatest.

Oh wow...that was close!!! Well at least they let her on!!! Thanks so much for answering my questions...she is worried they wont let her board because of her size...She actually thinks that the doctor is going to come out and measure her stomach!!! She has never been on a cruise...and I have never been on one pregnant, so I thought I would get on this board and just ask!! Thank you so much!!!

Carnivals FAQs state a limit of 24 weeks, and if the note from the Doctor states the gestational period then they should be able to board.

The next question, for you (or more specifically your DILs) to answer, is whether you should! Keep in mind how far you can be from medical facilities, and while you hope that nothing may happen, things can and sometimes do.

When my wife was pregnant, she could hardly be in a car without getting sick. I am certain that the motion of the ship would have made her miserable, even if nothing adverse happened.

If you do decide to go, make sure that you have adequate insurance, and that the provider is aware of the pregnancy.

This isn't if we decide to go...it is already booked! We are going this month....neither one of them have had any problems with morning sickness at all..and their doctors told them they can use the wrist bands...my DIL that is very large...this is her second child...and they will also be bringing their 16 1/2 month old son with them...We booked this cruise BEFORE they were pregnant...can you believe that??? But their doctor's say they will be fine...I sure hope they do not get sick...

Archived