DD cabins (Partial Sea View)

mozart1999

Hello ¡¡¡

I have 2 questions regarding the DD cabins with partial sea view :

1.- How full is the glass ? ..... Is it more obstructed (empty glass) or it is more open views (full glass), please tell me Your opinion, is this type of cabin worth it or not ?

2.- The DD cabins are in the lower promenade deck ..... You have the walking deck outside your window ..... does this bother you ? or is a plus to have a close door to the deck ?

One fact to add, the cost is almost 60 % less than a very good inside cabin, category J, in the middle of the ship.

Thank You for all the information.

Hello ¡¡¡

I have 2 questions regarding the DD cabins with partial sea view :

1.- How full is the glass ? ..... Is it more obstructed (empty glass) or it is more open views (full glass), please tell me Your opinion, is this type of cabin worth it or not ?

2.- The DD cabins are in the lower promenade deck ..... You have the walking deck outside your window ..... does this bother you ? or is a plus to have a close door to the deck ?

One fact to add, the cost is almost 60 % less than a very good inside cabin, category J, in the middle of the ship.

Thank You for all the information.

Hi - just a question. What ship is this on? (the class of ship makes a difference). Usually, the HH (fully obstructed) cabins on the Zaandam & Volendam that I sometimes get are about the same price as a J inside. A DD for 60% less would be a real bargain!

Ok, I have to do my numbers better .....

My travel agent cuote the HH for $ 685.84, the DD cabin for $ 788.40 and the J for $ 1,232.85, this is a 46 % (HH) and a 36 % (DD) less only, but is a better price anyway.

Only the inside category L is cheaper.

The ship is the Statendam Alaska round trip from Vancouver.

Thank You.

I just got back from the Veendam and had a DD cabin on Lower Promenade and just loved it!!!

My cabin was back in the stern starboard side so the view that I had was the bottom half of the window was part of the ship and the railing, while the upper half was an unencumbered open sea view. I really didn't miss anything or feel that it was a partial view. I could sit and put my make-up on or do my hair at the desk area and look out and see most everything. Being able to run outside when the captain announced "frolicking whales off the starboard side" was great!

Yes, the downside is people walking by but unless its night and you have your lights on, they have a difficult time seeing in. I know, I tried. I went out on deck in daylight and did my darndest to see in and couldn't. The only way you could get somewhat of an image inside the cabin was to put your face flat against the glass and both hands on either side to block out the light. I think you'd notice if a passerby were doing this! :D

At night, just make sure you close the drapes. We really didn't experience any noise problems or banging door. There was only one occasion when a crew member was washing the deck early morning and splashed the window and woke DH up. But I never heard a thing (of course I sleep with ear plugs due to DH's snoring so maybe I'm not a good judge on this one :D)!

I would say give it a try, you might like the convenience factor over the negatives.

I had a fully obstructed on the Rotterdam and loved it! It has a full-size window; the steel bulkhead was across the Lower Promenade Deck. By looking off to one side I had a lovely view of the ocean.

I loved being able to get outdoors quick, quick, quick, and was able to get my lifejacket put away before most people were back inside! :D

Since I usually get an inside this was a treat. If you normally have an outside cabin, though, you need to know that outsides on the Lower Promenade are smaller than outsides on the other decks. Not much smaller, but it's noticible.

Hi,

I was also on the Veendam last week in a DD category room on the Lower Promenade. I thought it was fantastic. As Seamist said, anytime you saw something outside you could jump up and run outside with your camera or binoculars easily. The view was not obstructed if you looked straight ahead or to the left. If you looked to the right, there was the outside metal supports for the promenade deck. As far as sound, there was a little from above (dining room) and each morning the decks stewards would spray off the outside of the windows on our deck. But I would not let that deter you from going for the DD category. Nothing a good pair of earplugs at night wouldn't block out. I would much rather have a DD or HH than a better placed inside room!

Janna

I would much rather have a DD or HH than a better placed inside room!

Janna

That's good to know. We gave up an I category inside on the Volendam for a guarentee FF on the Volendam when Hal ran their sale in March. We were just assigned a DD (3303). I wasn't initially too happy about it, since when we booked the guarentee my TA said it was for an unobstructed ocean view. The FFs are unobstructed as far as I understand. I was initially disappointed that we ended up with an obstructed view DD. From what everyone is saying, it should be okay. Seems to have a lot of positives. Just a little nervous about being so far forward and the potential for seasickness, but I did figure that with the guarentee we were likely to get a forward or aft cabin. Sometimes I hate when I am right. ;)

You will have about a 60 degree view, either left or right from straight ahead. If you would like to see a picture from our DD on the Amsterdam, email_me

The first day or two you notice people walking by, but after that we hardly noticed. We very much liked the ability to get out to either side very quickly ... something you can't do in a verandah cabin. BTW we also had a DD on the Statendam.

Archived