are Princess sticking to their tender policy

GillCC

Just wondering if this is REALLY happening? Are they relaxing it to allow wheelchair users who can transfer and whose wheelchairs fold? My partner can do the lifting of my wheelchair and i always transfer on tenders - I hate being lifted! Really want to do a Princess Asia cruise but couldn't stand it if I was stuck on the ship when it was in port!

thanks

I use a manual wheelchair and have always gotten on and off Princess tenders with ease. If the dock at the port is a little high, Princess seems to have the policy of having 4 strong people lift you and your manual wheel chair to the dock. Not the best solution, but.

tender1.jpg

We were on the Sapphire Princess Sept. 2007 from Vancouver to Bangkok. My husband uses a folding chair and we had no problems when we had to use a tender. They are always very helpful in getting him off and on the ship. He can also get out of his chair and do a few steps when necessary as he needs to do this in order to board a tour bus.

In March, 2008 we were on the Diamond Princess from LA to Hawaii and had two tender ports. They just always boarded us last and took us off first. There are always people there to lift his chair onto the tender.

I would be happy to try to help you with any question you might have about the tendering.

Connie:)

• 1 month later...

The new policy on Princess affects scooters and, I believe, motorized chairs, not regular wheel chairs. According to Princess there are no scooters allowed on the tenders anymore. My wife uses a scooter which folds up, but unless I find a suitable substitute for Maui I'm afraid we won't be able to go ashore in this port.

• 3 weeks later...

I called Princess yesterday and asked about the tender policy. The agent wasn't sure but put me on hold while she checked with the powers that be. When she came back she told me it was on a case-by-case basis to be determined at the time of tendering. So, I'm afraid this doesn't clarify the situation much more.

.....which is why we are no longer traveling with Princess. We use a manual chair for tendering, but there is no way we would agree with them insisting that we transfer my mother from her own chair that fits hers into one of theirs, and then back again, simply to get her on and off the tender. It would be unsafe, painful, and a significantly humiliating procedure for her to have to do this in front of all the other people in the tender.

• 8 months later...

While on the Ruby Princess in March 2009 I was denied access to the tender, unless I could "prove" I could walk on, at Grand Cayman and Princess Cay. Seas were calm on both days. I use my own manual wheelchair and had never been denied access to tendered ports on 11 previous Princess cruises. I met with two of the ships officers and was told that all of the previous ships officers were wrong in allowing me access before! Unbelievable! They showed me a copy of the same policy that has been in Princess brochures for the past 12 years that states a captain "may" deny access, not "will" deny access. I have written to Princess with my cocerns and have requested clarification of their wheelchair tendering policy.

I was on the 14 day Panama cruise with Princess Feb 2009..the only time they denied tendering my wheelchair whan was in Hondurus...very high seas...several people got sea sick on the tenders so I was happy I did not go.

When we were on the Diamond to Hawaii in 2008 there was no problem as long as I could walk on board, and my wheelchair folded. I am an amputee and can walk and climb stairs but need the scooter/chair for distances.

I think it depends on the crew and how the sea's are.

I did see them refuse a very heavy man that could not walk well, they felt it was dangerous for him and the crew.

I think the policy is there if they need it.

I called Princess yesterday and asked about the tender policy. The agent wasn't sure but put me on hold while she checked with the powers that be. When she came back she told me it was on a case-by-case basis to be determined at the time of tendering. So, I'm afraid this doesn't clarify the situation much more.

I would think it would be so they don't have to lift heavy people onto the tender

I am a para and can't walk on to the tender. This has never been an issue before, and neither has been how much I weigh, as I travel with my family and they transfer me on to the tender. I was denied access while on the Ruby Princess in March at Grand Cayman and Princess Cay, only because I was not able to stand up and walk on! I was told by two ships officers that this was the Princess policy, after having been allowed on the tender without any problems on eleven previous Princess cruises!

So glad I read Cruise Critic. Now I will not book Princess. It is a shame because that is the one line that we have not been on and wanted to do.

My daughter weighs only sixty pounds and we could lift her onto the tender. She has a folding umbrella style wheelchair, like a stroller. We would not need any help. Too bad. I just hope that the other lines do not follow suit.

All cruiselines have this policy but they don't really push it in most cases. It is ALWAYS up to the Captain of the ship to deny tendering to anyone if they deem it unsafe to do so.

So glad I read Cruise Critic. Now I will not book Princess. It is a shame because that is the one line that we have not been on and wanted to do.

My daughter weighs only sixty pounds and we could lift her onto the tender. She has a folding umbrella style wheelchair, like a stroller. We would not need any help. Too bad. I just hope that the other lines do not follow suit.

I would contact the special needs department regarding this. I would think a 60 lb child would not be a problem, especially if you can make the transfer.

I would think it would be so they don't have to lift heavy people onto the tender

Its not just heavy people. Some scooters and power chairs are very heavy even without a passenger.

My mom has a scooter that is considered lightweight at only 50 lbs. Both Carnival and Princess refused the scooter on the tender. Mom could have gotten on the tender on her own with crew help but they still refused the scooter. Depending on the port the scooter tends to be useless off the ship because of accessibility issues. Stairs and no curb cut outs for example.

Archived