Tax free shopping on Pride of America

canadian cruise queen

Just wanted to point this out to people in case you didn't know. If you want to buy stuff from the on board shops or drink at the bar or eat in the specialty restaurants there will be tax charged if you are docked. If you do these things when the ship is at sea then there is no tax. FYI :)

We had an on board credit to use and purchased quite a bit from the shops and saved money by purchasing after the ship was 3 miles out to sea.

This applies to most cruises, but people might not realize it would apply to this US cruise as well. You save over 4% Hawaiian sales tax.

Does that inlcude the specialty restaurants and bars? We didn't buy anything at the shops at all, but did eat at several of the specialty restaurants (two while at sea) and also purchased drinks each day. I didn't notice any receipts that did not include tax, but maybe I'll go back and look again.

Does that inlcude the specialty restaurants and bars? We didn't buy anything at the shops at all, but did eat at several of the specialty restaurants (two while at sea) and also purchased drinks each day. I didn't notice any receipts that did not include tax, but maybe I'll go back and look again.

We ate at one specialty restaurant when we were docked and were charged tax. We only ate at one, but we did go to the goldrush salon twice (once while docked and once when not) and was only charged tax on the bill where we were docked.

I am not sure if this applies in the other stores or not, but we got a ten percent discount on a ring that we bought at Na Hoku on the ship because we are latitudes members. That plus the no tax at sea gave us a good discount off a ring I almost bought on shore!

Archived