Take your Fuel Credit letter with you

Hi all,

We're just back from our long awaited cruise and I want to suggest to you that if you are expecting onboard credit for your fuel charge, consider taking the letter you received with you onboard.

We booked prior to the fuel charge, it was added after booking (full deposit). We received the letter stating that we would receive onboard credit for this charge when we cruised, but I didn't see it show up before we left, so I asked my PVP about it; he said it would be credited when we boarded.

There was no credit on our account, so I visited the Purser's desk. They said their information showed that we booked AFTER the fuel charges were imposed (the date they had was the date we paid in full). Luckily, I had brought along the letter stating we would be credited for the fuel charge. They had to take copies of the letters (2 cabins) and inquire. About three days later, they credited our sail and sign account, and called me in our cabin to inform me that it had been credited.

Everything worked out, but had I not had my letter with me, we would not have received the onboard credit. So, I just wanted to pass along the suggestion that if you are expecting a credit, you may want to take your letter with you.

Our cruise was awesome, hopefully I can post a review soon.

Hi all,

We're just back from our long awaited cruise and I want to suggest to you that if you are expecting onboard credit for your fuel charge, consider taking the letter you received with you onboard.

We booked prior to the fuel charge, it was added after booking (full deposit). We received the letter stating that we would receive onboard credit for this charge when we cruised, but I didn't see it show up before we left, so I asked my PVP about it; he said it would be credited when we boarded.

There was no credit on our account, so I visited the Purser's desk. They said their information showed that we booked AFTER the fuel charges were imposed (the date they had was the date we paid in full). Luckily, I had brought along the letter stating we would be credited for the fuel charge. They had to take copies of the letters (2 cabins) and inquire. About three days later, they credited our sail and sign account, and called me in our cabin to inform me that it had been credited.

Everything worked out, but had I not had my letter with me, we would not have received the onboard credit. So, I just wanted to pass along the suggestion that if you are expecting a credit, you may want to take your letter with you.

I wondered if something like that might happen to someone. I never received the letter you mentioned. I do have paperwork to show we booked prior to the fuel surcharge. My PVP told me I have a credit and I called the 1888 number and they said I have one. It doesn't show up on my docs but it does for the other couples that are going. I already have all my paperwork in my cruise folder to take with me.

Thanks for the heads up.

Hi all,

It has been my experience that you should always take these things with you. Any communications between you and the cruise line that involves credit or gifts or anything important can get lost in the shuffle. I take the originals, not a copy.

We leave in 4 days and last time I spoke with my PVP he told me that we would have it as OBC also. I do not know if I still have the email of that letter :(

Thanks for passing this info along because I was not going to bother with the letter but now I think that I will.

What was the cutoff date for this fuel surcharge "refund"? Lord knows I missed out on the "free" checked baggage on American Airlines. lol

You could search the thread to find out. My understanding is that if you booked prior to Nov 07 you are entitled to a refund/OBC. We booked in Feb 07 and then the surcharge was added. Now we have a $70 OBC.

Sandy, glad to be helpful. Definately take it with! Your original receipt from booking might help with the original booking date/deposit would help if you don't have the letter stating you will be getting fuel charge refund/obc.

Have a WONDERFUL cruise!

Archived