Experience with Orca in Juneau

JDJJ

We are in Juneau in early August and looking for feedback on people who have booked whale watching tours with Orca; also the Orca people said they can book kayaks for tour in Ketchian. Any info is appreciated.

orca is talked about a lot, on these boards. read down the page or the next page, of threads...several whale watching posts with orca referred to. orca entereprises and harv & marv are the 2 talked about the most. there are others that get good reviews.

i did orca..had a great time and loved the comfort of the boat.

if you haven't been whale watching before, be prepared for views of tails and backs...maybe a fin or 2. at times people get really lucky with bubble-net feeding or a lot of active leaping.

they have been around juneau for a long time and have a office right above the stores, at the dock area.

We were with Harv and Marv a week ago last Saturday.

We saw a Humpback calf breach I bet 30-40 times. It was unbelievable.

Marv (Jay) was as excited as we were. He said he went through 2 flash memory cards for his camera taking pictures. He said he'd never done that before.

I recommend Harv and Marv just because it's a smaller boat..not saying you'll get closer to the whales but it just seems more intimate.

We went with Orca for whale watching and really enjoyed it. But I do find it more satisfying to spot whales on our own while on the cruiseship. It is free, but need to spend a lot of time out on the deck, which I enjoy doing it anyway. Do need to dress in layers, especially protecting your head from cold. And bring wide angle full size binoculars (8x or 10x preferred).

Archived