Overnight Excursion to Cairo????

onthegogal

HELP all you experienced travelers! There's so much to see and do and we've only got 2 days docked in Alexandria. Will we be less rushed if we take an ovenight excurion (small group tour with an independent tour company) and spend two (2) days in Cairo/Giza? Would we be spending more time in the Museum, pyramids and at the Khan el Khalili Bazaar or do they just add more sites on the second day so we'd still be rushed anyway? Because of the limited time, would it be better to spend only one day in Cairo/Giza and visit Alexandria the next day? Has anyone ever simply gotten transportation from the dock and toured on their own? Hate wasting time shopping in places (that I have no interest in) so guides can get their commissions.....

There is so much to see in Cairo that its always better to do more than less. The one day tours are a whirlwind of tour with no down time at all. The Khalil al Kial market is interesting but it is after all shopping. You have the Citadel and other parts of Islamic Cairo as well. if you stay overnight you may also get to Saqqara and its Pyramids.

The reason that the tour guides do shopping because they are paid nothing by the tour companies and are expected to make it up by shopping and of course tips. I am not saying that is right or wrong it just is. So if your group is not going to buy anyway let the tour guide know and say you will tip generously if they don't stop and do so!

Thank you for responding. I think if I stay overnight, I'll see a lot more sights and be less rushed. Spending 6 hours going/coming to and from the ship in one (1) day seems like a lot of wasted time. If I get up early on the second day, I could spend some time in Alexandria as I head back to the ship.

Yes, I've read on these boards to stay away from the papyrus "demonstration" and the perfume factory as all they are commission stops for the guides. I like your advise of reminding my guide that I'll tip more if they're avoided.

Archived