best route to Brooklyn

klugh

This message is for the folks from the NY or NJ area. What is the best route to get to pier in Brooklyn on a Fri afternoon. I'm from the Harrisburg Pa area and the last time I came into the city from the Holland Tunnel to 9A and though the Brooklyn tunnel. I am worried about the traffic on a Friday afternoon. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Deb

Hi Klugh... traffic does be heavy everyday and especially on Fridays. One good thing is that the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel has 3 of it's 4 lanes Brooklyn bound in the afternoons. Just allow yourself extra travel time and you should be ok. Enjoy your cruise. :)

Have you considered driving through Staten Island instead? At the time you will be traveling, the rush hour traffic will be over and it should be clear sailing through SI and over the bridge and into Brooklyn. From there, it's just a short hop to the port. We found it to be much easier a trip than dealing with Manhattan.

I'm not sure the exact location, but one does run through pennnsylvania. even if you are booked through a ta if you call princess they can give you the pickup locations and times for them and tell you if parking is available for free etc. Tell them you live in harrisburg. I cant remember for sure but I believe one of the pickup locations is either harrisburg or lancaster, if it has not changed. I am certain one in Burlington nj and philly.

This message is for the folks from the NY or NJ area. What is the best route to get to pier in Brooklyn on a Fri afternoon. I'm from the Harrisburg Pa area and the last time I came into the city from the Holland Tunnel to 9A and though the Brooklyn tunnel. I am worried about the traffic on a Friday afternoon. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Deb

Since I 78 is right by your house in Harrisburg this is the fastest and most direct way to NYC. If you are talking about getting to the pier in Brooklyn on a Friday PM. this is about the best way(I78 to 1-9 North just before the entrance to the NJ Turnpike) to the Holland Tunnel to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel...you are mostly going against traffic...except for the BBT which NY'ers tend to avoid as it is tolled. You will be getting off just past the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel at Hamilton Avenue and then making two quick lefts(just follow the signs)...Its longer for you through Staten Island and more traffic IMO...

I have nothing against the bus if it is convenient for you.

So you saying don't go on the turnpike?? I saw on Mapquest and to go on the turnpike to exit 13 I-278 Elizabeth. what is the best way HELP!!!

don't go on the turnpike...no reason to a

The way they are sending you is through Staten Island. Its longer and more prone to traffic. take 1 78 East until just before the NJ turnpike and take 1-9 north via the skyway(no trucks)..... to the Holland tunnel...to the BBT tunnel...

as described above....

Archived