Carnival Rep confirms Baltimore

Feistyred

Hey Rockee. I'm still booked but only because I haven't called my TA yet to cancel but will soon.

It's over 2 hours to Baltimore but thats not bad. But looks like it's not going to be until September which is no good for me.

We leave from Vancouver and right now the cheapest air is $752pp. Then we still have to get home from Anchorage.

Doing my best with the Phils. Have them on TV now.:)

Bill

Bill - you're saying $752 PP one way? Well if that's the case then I'll have to reconsider. Unless CCL gives me some sort of fantastic break on the price then I am not paying almost $6000 for air RT for the cruise for 4 ppl.

I know the air issue is not CCL's fault and they shouldn;t have to pay for it but there is nobody who is willing to spend more for the air then the cruise and CCL will unltimately suffer. Hearing that is very disappointing. :mad:

I'm right there with you MarylandLady. I am soooo ready for Carnival to come back to Baltimore. I was becoming a little worried with the cost of air travel. I was thinking we would have to cut back on our cruises but if Carnival comes back to Baltimore then I can darned near walk to the port. :D

YAY!!!!!!!!!

AWWWWWWW ......MAN....CRUISE...i agree with you...Baltimores port is 10 min from my house....that would be prefect.....definitely keeping my fingers cross:D

Maybe we could get Carnival to put a ship at Port Huron then we could sail Lake Erie and out the St. Lawrence. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Dianne

I keep sugesting everytime picking new ports comes up. 45 Min drive, that would be great

I thought the Pride was relocating to Miami? I was considering booking for August 2009.

Norfolk & Charleston, please. Baltimore is closer than Canaveral or Tampa, but after a mid-April trip, I swore I would never, ever, ever get anywhere close to DC again. Ever.

:mad:

Any word on where the Glory is going (if she's going) once the Dream is in Canaveral?

Used to live about an hour out of Baltimore in Upper Marlboro, MD. There is a better way to get to Baltimore than I-95. We used to get off I-95 on 301 and go up through Dahlgren, VA, Waldorf, MD, Upper Marlboro and picked up another interstate to Baltimore (can't quite remember which one.....DH is the navigator). Still traffic, but not anything like what you find in and around DC.

It's not Carnival, and it isn't cheap, but it's on the Great Lakes!

http://www.greatlakescruising.com/

My only problem with the various east-coast ports are the limits to the itineraries. Even with the speedy Spirit-class ships, they can only do the Bahamas/St Thomas from NY.

If they'd put a Spirit-class ship in Charleston, she would have the speed to be able to do a Western (at least GC/Jamaica/PR) itinerary. I most definitely would do one of those.

And I would most definitely do Norfolk or Charleston to Bermuda.

Anyway, nothing on Carnival's website this morning. :(

OK, this may be better news then I first thought. (Only) 8 hours from us, definitely doable in a car.

Now let's hope they come up with something better then Freeport and Nassau as POCs.

I am with you there!! I hope it has at least 7 day tineraries - but 8 would be even better ;) !! I doubt that we would do 4 or 5 dayers - even if we could drive :( .

I spoke with a Carnival rep yesterday at cruise show about Carnival returning to Baltimore.

She confirmed that Carnival is indeed returning next year & says it will be announced tomorrow(Thursday, June 5)

She didn't tell me which boat but that it would be there year round.

Anyone know anything about this?

Yea Baby.... GO SKINS!!!!!!

As I was reading this thread a Carnival Rep called me to see if I got the brochure I had requested. I asked her about Baltimore and she said yes. She said they were expanding sailings to 4 ports. Baltimore, Norfolk and Charleston. She didn't say the fourth and said she couldn't officially say yet. I then asked her about Boston and she said they were looking into it for the future as well.

My sister is going to tinkle in her pants. They have not gone on a cruise due to the distance required to travel. They live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland (outside Ocean City) and now they should be able to do this. Does anyone know any details of the cruises such as destinations or length of cruises? Man, I guess my husband and I are going to have to be the ones to travel to Maryland now. We love Maryland. Used to live there for many years and husband was in the Air Force in Dover, Delaware so we have many, many friends and family still in the area. THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!! Now we have a reason to go back to Maryland. I mean, why would anyone go that far if it wasn't to cruise. Forget my family and friends, there's a cruise ship there!!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!!!! :D :D :D

The last time I'll ever post a picture on here. Funny how it made it to SOMEONE ELSES avatar.

I guess it isn't my avatar you're talking about since I took that picture January 07 as the Liberty came into Nassau or maybe you're talking about my Redskin helmet picture. That I found on Google.

Sadly, we can't expect any big ships on the great lake cruises for a while. Much like "panamax" size ships that can squeeze through the Panama Canal, to get to the great lakes you need a "seaway-max" ship. The locks on the seaway are much smaller, <80' wide and <740' long, with absolutely nothing protruding, which knocks out every ship in the carnival fleet, even the Holiday. The only ship of any size designed to cruise the lakes was the Hapag-Llyod's Columbus, and it was only 450 passengers. Unfortunately the falling water levels on some of the great lakes means even this ship can't cruise everywhere any more. Also, with no international waters in the great lakes, there's no gambling which yanks a major revenue stream.

I think we're stuck with only small ships on the great lakes for the foreseeable future.

Carnival was cruising out of Baltimore a few years back, mostly 8 night cruises south, but it was a bit of a mess. Cruise lines overbook like the airlines, and apparently the Baltimore market was very different with fewer cancellations. The result was news stories of people getting bumped days before their sailing and bad press all the way round. What you saved in airfare you pretty much lost on the cruise being more expensive and and needing extra days off work (8 night cruises instead of 7 means odd departure days. For example, a 8-night cruise leaving on a Tuesday and returning on a Wednesday means 7 vacation days: T-W-Th-F...M-T-W)

But I would still love to have a friend drop me off rather than haul myself to Florida, if the interary is good (Hum: Charleston, Savannah, A florida port or Nassau and 1/2 moon cay. that's doable in 7 days, sign me up! Not sure if you cruise to Savannah though, you can navagate there but not sure if they are interested in making room for a visiting cruise ship)

I was wondering the same thing....if it could do an itinerary similar to the ones out of NYC - but year round :D .

Official word just came out. It will be doing Port Canaveral, Freeport and Nassau on one itinerary, and Half Moon Cay, Freeport and Grand Turk on another.

Could someone post the news release so we aren't just taking people's word for it.... not that I don't want to believe, I do... I just don't want to call my sister and get her all excited and then it not be true.

Here you go

http://carnival-news.com/2008/06/05/carnival-cruise-lines-to-introduce-baltimore%e2%80%99s-first-year-round-cruise-program-in-september-2009/

Archived