What would you do if HAL went strictly FORMAL on one of their ships?

EngineerDel

Greg recently posted a survey on: "What would you do if formal nights were discontinued?"....geared toward those who prefer FORMAL cruising.

In response to my comments, he suggested that I post the same question to all those who prefer "CASUAL" cruising and would like to see "formal" nights discontinued.

So, here goes! Please don't flame me and take this question the wrong way! Inquisitive minds want to know! (maybe even HAL)

How many of you "casual cruisers" would continue to cruise on HAL IF they were to REPLACE the language, "SUGGESTED DRESS CODE", with the unquestionable clarity that "EVERYONE MUST MEET THE FORMAL DRESS CODE REQUIREMENTS FOR FORMAL NIGHTS....and WILL BE REJECTED FROM ENTERING THE DINNING ROOM....PINNACLE GRILL... AND OTHER SPECIFIED AREAS...on nights desiginated as FORMAL ATTIRE...as this ruling will definitely be INFORCED....and those who wish...may dine in the Lido or choose to dine in their cabins on such nights...and ANYTHING OTHERWISE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!"

Of course this is not likely to happen....BUT....WHAT IF??????

Will you accept this clarification and continue to cruise with HAL? Or will you look for alternative cruises, knowing that they probably will not meet the high standards of HAL?

And for those of us who prefer "FORMAL"....WHAT IF...HAL were to dedicate one of their ships (say, the Volendam or the Maasdam, or the Prinsendam) to this luxurious upscale type of cruising, would you book this cruise as opposed to one where HAL does not INFORCE the rules and tolerates those who disregard the dress codes?

From the many comments, there are some who prefer "FORMAL"....who are ready to switch to Cunard....even though they have spent many years with HAL.

Del

Greg recently posted a survey on: "What would you do if formal nights were discontinued?"....geared toward those who prefer FORMAL cruising.

In response to my comments, he suggested that I post the same question to all those who prefer "CASUAL" cruising and would like to see "formal" nights discontinued.

So, here goes! Please don't flame me and take this question the wrong way! Inquisitive minds want to know! (maybe even HAL)

How many of you "casual cruisers" would continue to cruise on HAL IF they were to REPLACE the language, "SUGGESTED DRESS CODE", with the unquestionable clarity that "EVERYONE MUST MEET THE FORMAL DRESS CODE REQUIREMENTS FOR FORMAL NIGHTS....and WILL BE REJECTED FROM ENTERING THE DINNING ROOM....PINNACLE GRILL... AND OTHER SPECIFIED AREAS...on nights desiginated as FORMAL ATTIRE...as this ruling will definitely be INFORCED....and those who wish...may dine in the Lido or choose to dine in their cabins on such nights...and ANYTHING OTHERWISE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!"

Of course this is not likely to happen....BUT....WHAT IF??????

Will you accept this clarification and continue to cruise with HAL? Or will you look for alternative cruises, knowing that they probably will not meet the high standards of HAL?

And for those of us who prefer "FORMAL"....WHAT IF...HAL were to dedicate one of their ships (say, the Volendam or the Maasdam, or the Prinsendam) to this luxurious upscale type of cruising, would you book this cruise as opposed to one where HAL does not INFORCE the rules and tolerates those who disregard the dress codes?

From the many comments, there are some who prefer "FORMAL"....who are ready to switch to Cunard....even though they have spent many years with HAL.

Del

I wld book it as soon as possible with as many cruises as possible. Please don't misunderstand, I love casual cruisin' but also like a few nights onboard that require folks to dress in a more formal manner and I wld prefer

to stay with HAL.

I am tired though of the 'suggested' attire not being an enforced rule 'cause allows so many to 'do their own thing' even if not respectful of others.

One small example - dress codes violators are so blatant I regularily share the tables in the d.r. with males who seem to have baseball caps 'glued' to their brows on FORMAL nites even..:(

Def. spoils the ambieance when the caps are joined by shorts, sandles (with hairy legs & long toenails also by the way), T shirts & hair sticking up through the collar which is a particular 'turn-off' - for me anyway.. Then there is the attire favored by some of the ladies by their sides - but u know what I mean!

Oh yes also, in my humble opinion, folks in bathrobes shld be tossed out of a 'public' (shared with others) place...and also those with no shirts or shoes on!

Please, how long does it take to slip into a pair of sandles & a coverup to enter a dining facility - casual or not?

Appreciate u posting this poll.

Have happy cruisin'!

I wouldn't mind at all, since I could have wonderful HAL room service or go to the Lido if I wanted to. I enjoy formal nights sometimes, sometimes I just don't want to bother. I do, however believe that if a cruise line has formal nights, they should be exactly that - formal, and this should be enforced in the dining room. Otherwise, why bother? We have dressed nicely to go to the Lido on formal nights and then seen people coming out of the dining room dressed much more casually than we were.

I'd appreciate it very much if HAL strictly enforced the current formal night dress code on those nights designated as formal.

I would appreciate it if the formal night designations were spread (as they currently are) and designated on either sea days or early port departure days.

I would not like every night to be formal. 2 nights of 7 is good for me.

I would like every night with a port departure before 5 or the first and last cruise night (other than formal nights) to require a step up from "smart casual" such as requiring men to wear a collared shirt and jacket, full slacks, shoes and socks, no hats. A correspondingly appropriate code for women would be appreciated. Port departure nights with a departure after 5 and the first and last night could use the "smart casual" code if it too was enforced.

I would also very much appreciate the enforcement of minimum dress standards in the main dining room during breakfast and lunch. I have seen instances where this was done, but from the reports here and my observations, it seems spotty. While I haven't yet someone show up in the main dining room dressed in a robe and slippers, I have seen it on more than one occasion in the Lido. Hair rollers are another thing I would like to see banned in the main dining room (and I have seen those at breakfast and lunch).

Good questions, thanks.

PS:

I wouldn't change my considerations for HAL if these things were not implemented. However, they would further solidify my loyalty to HAL by making my cruise experience better for me and act as a discouragement to go elsewhere.

It doesn't matter if you have a LBD (Little black dress!!) As i dress "up" every day to work, and he wears a suit, and as we dress up a lot for numerous social functions, my preference on holiday is decidely casual. We leave soon on a 2 week cruise in Europe and my plan is to travel light with my suit case half full. (That little black dress will be worn 4 times) and I am quite comfotable with that!! I am just happy to be on holiday

I can appreciate how on certain 7 day intineraries, HAL could easily make one ship all formal, all nights and even offer exclusive fixed seating.

I would not be interested cause I do not want to dress up every night.

It would be necessary to get about 104,000 passengers, over a year's time, who think this is a swell idea. My sense is that they would be unable to fill the ship each and every week, else one of the many cruise lines would have done so. Even the most formal of cruise lines have down time.

I do however have a suggestion and that is to find 2000 +/- other people who would love an all formal cruise and charter a ship for a week. Surely there must be 2000 chomping at the bit to put on the Ritz, every night.

Go for it.:)

Hey, Del! :)

I trust that all is well (better than the last time we "spoke") with you two. :(

I sure wish you would have posted this as a poll, but beggars can't be choosers.

I'd RUN, RUN, RUN far away from Holland America if they became All Formal All of the Time.

What do you guys have planned in the future? Anything fun? *she asks hopefully* ;)

I'd appreciate it very much if HAL strictly enforced the current formal night dress code on those nights designated as formal.

I would appreciate it if the formal night designations were spread (as they currently are) and designated on either sea days or early port departure days.

I would not like every night to be formal. 2 nights of 7 is good for me.

I would like every night with a port departure before 5 or the first and last cruise night (other than formal nights) to require a step up from "smart casual" such as requiring men to wear a collared shirt and jacket, full slacks, shoes and socks, no hats. A correspondingly appropriate code for women would be appreciated. Port departure nights with a departure after 5 and the first and last night could use the "smart casual" code if it too was enforced.

I would also very much appreciate the enforcement of minimum dress standards in the main dining room during breakfast and lunch. I have seen instances where this was done, but from the reports here and my observations, it seems spotty. While I haven't yet someone show up in the main dining room dressed in a robe and slippers, I have seen it on more than one occasion in the Lido. Hair rollers are another thing I would like to see banned in the main dining room (and I have seen those at breakfast and lunch).

Good questions, thanks.

I had to read this twice because the requirements and enforcements made it sound like prison or the military, not a vacation.

I had to read this twice because the requirements and enforcements made it sound like prison or the military, not a vacation.

LOL - I'll cop to the military - brat and service. :o Never had a problem toeing the line when required, never had a problem stretching the limits when allowed. With as many strangers thrown together in a confined experience as there are on a cruise, I see the merits of declaring a protocol and uniform of the day where appropriate. Given the other options that are available within those confined spaces, I really don't understand why its an issue as long as the terms and conditions are understood ahead of time. IMO, of course.

I'd forget HAL and cruise just with RCI and Celebrity!

Adios My Friends-- (AMF)

I would be booking other HAL ships

that have not gone LOCO

with this formal idea.

Now if LOBSTER (good ones) were on the menu every FORMAL night

I would consider it.....otherwise BYE.

Rich :cool: :cool:

I would prefer "Smart Casual" every nite. But if there were formal nites, we would either dress or eat in the Lido. IMO, most lines are heading toward more casual, but times change. Anything can and will happen.

Del, just want to make sure I understand! You are talking about, say two formal nights on a seven-day cruise with "formal strictly enforced" , and you're not talking about an "every night is formal night, strictly enforced" cruise, correct?

If it's the first suggestion, I would have absolutely no problem with that. As far as the dedicated dam ship that would sail under those rules, it would depend on the itinerary.

When we were brand new in cruising around 1993, we took our one and only Cunard cruise, a 14-day FLL-LA Panama Canal repo on a great ship by the name of Sagafjord. Even though we have fond memories of that cruise (first time through the Canal), just about every other night was formal and that was a bit of an overkill for us. In all of our cruises, we have followed the dress code, suggested or not, and we had a great time. If people choose not to, that's their thing and it will most definitely not ruin our cruise. To each his/her own!

I found this active thread on the Cunard board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=769201

A poster is not pleased with the advise she received relative to the norm for attire. Apparently, she was convinced that ballgowns were the way to go for the evening and that jeans were not allowed, anytime and surprise.....

Anyway, it looks like the majority on Cunard continue to take attire far more seriously than passengers do on most of the other cruise lines.

Archived