What are the best excursios in Belize $60 or less

lucy2mb

You can take a water taxi to Ambergus Caye (SP?). This is THE island to go to. They have good snorkling and lots of activities with good beaches. Check out the Belize info here and see if they mention going here. (Caulker Caye is closer but not worth it at all!) We've been to Belize 5 times, LOVED the cave tubbing with Reggie but plan on going to Ambergus Caye next time there!

• 2 weeks later...
You can take a water taxi to Ambergus Caye (SP?). This is THE island to go to. They have good snorkling and lots of activities with good beaches. Check out the Belize info here and see if they mention going here. (Caulker Caye is closer but not worth it at all!) We've been to Belize 5 times, LOVED the cave tubbing with Reggie but plan on going to Ambergus Caye next time there!

How far is this from where the cruise ships tender? I've never taken a water taxi so I have no clue what to expect on one? Are they small boats that run you back and forth or are you on with several people? Are the rides smooth? Sorry for all the questions just new territory for me. One last question when you are ready to return are there taxi's waiting?

The water taxis follow a schedule so you know when to catch one. The taxi we were on held 6-8 people and was just a boat, nothing like the tenders from the ship at all. You get the taxi down on the left from where the tender drops you off. I'm sure anyone can tell you where they are. Depending on the codition of the seas, it is a smooth ride just like you'd have at a beach or lake. Think our taxi took about half an hour to get to Caulker Caye, Ambergis Caye is farther. If you go on a ship's tour there, they pick you up right at the ship, you don't go into town at all. (It is a LONG way to town on the tenders.) We never do ship's tours anymore but always did when we first started crusing. A ship's tour here would be worth it.

The water taxis follow a schedule so you know when to catch one. The taxi we were on held 6-8 people and was just a boat, nothing like the tenders from the ship at all. You get the taxi down on the left from where the tender drops you off. I'm sure anyone can tell you where they are. Depending on the codition of the seas, it is a smooth ride just like you'd have at a beach or lake. Think our taxi took about half an hour to get to Caulker Caye, Ambergis Caye is farther. If you go on a ship's tour there, they pick you up right at the ship, you don't go into town at all. (It is a LONG way to town on the tenders.) We never do ship's tours anymore but always did when we first started crusing. A ship's tour here would be worth it.

When you say a long way to town how many minutes are we talking here? I guess we've been spoiled with the tenders that take approx 10 minutes. We aren't sure what we want to do in Belize yet and this has been the hardest to try and figure out. Thanks for any tips.

Its probaly 20+ minutes in to the city. There is nothing but the city there. No beaches at all just boats, shops and vendors behind them. We've been there 5 or 6 times but last time was the best! We went cave tubing with Reggie. And his price was half of what ship's tour was to same place, same caves! There were 7 of us on his tour and 30-40 on ship's tour! Let me know if you want info on this tour. You might check out the roll call here on cruise critic and see what other people will be doing in Belize.

What about Bannister Island?

Can you book it from the dock?

Can you take a water taxi from the dock?

I'd like to visit a nice beach for drinks and "everything" but also want to visit the town afterwards.

Ideas? :)

I don't know about Banister Island. If its an island the only way you can get there is by boat. The water taxis have a schedule like a bus. You go and get a ticket, then get on the boat. Check out Belize here on cruise critic and just do a search for Bannister Island. Let us know what you find out. The water taxis are in town so you'll be in the city going and coming from Bannister Island..

yes, it is Ambergris Caye - never could spell! They have resort hotels there. We haven't been there but might go next time. Here on cruise critic they say best snorkling is at Goff's Caye, 12 miles off shore.They said 4 hours of snorkling costs $55. Read about Belize here at their ports info. Put Belize in box.

Can't find anything on Ambergus Caye. Could it be spelled Ambergris Caye?

Sounds like you've been there. Could you fully explain the costs related to this excursion and where it leaves from?

Thanks.

Hey Dude,

Yes, it is Ambergris. We haven't been there but we did do Bannister a couple of years ago. We booked at the tenderdock in town with Fab Tours. I saw somewhere on these boards that Fab now has its own island. If it is anything like Bannister it is gorgeous.

How far is this from where the cruise ships tender?

5 minute walk. Town is a little rough though....

I've never taken a water taxi so I have no clue what to expect on one?

I've been on the Belize water taxi. My son and I spent a week in Caye Caulker in February 08. We flew into Goldson Airport, took a land taxi to water taxi dock and then a water taxi to Caye Caulker. It was an interesting experience.

Are they small boats that run you back and forth or are you on with several people?

Yes, they are relatively small boats. Some are fully enclosed, some are partially enclosed. On our trip to Caye Caulker, our water taxi was partially enclosed. On the return trip to Belize City, our water taxi was completely enclosed.

On the trip to Caye Caulker, our water taxi was packed full. There were about 40 people on it (some had to stand the whole way there). Half got off at Caye Caulker and the rest remained on the taxi to San Pedro (Ambergris Caye). Someone posted 5 or 6 people....not true. Even our return trip had a full boat, just not as full as the initial trip (25-30 ppl).

Another point--The trip to Caye Caulker is at least 35 minutes, then another 10 minutes to unload passengers at CC and another 15 minutes to San Pedro. The one-way travel time is at least an hour to San Pedro.

Are the rides smooth?

Generally, yes. The entire trip is inside the reef where the waters are calm. Although it's an hour-long ride, the view is spectacular and the water is GEORGEOUS!!

Sorry for all the questions just new territory for me. One last question when you are ready to return are there taxi's waiting?

No worries about questions. Better to ask and get some feedback than to find yourself lost in Belize....or is it??:)

The water taxi has a set schedule, which you can view here:

http://www.goambergriscaye.com/watertaxi.html

You would have to plan on which departure and return times fit into your scheduled port time. Keep in mind, you need to leave San Pedro at least 1.5 hours BEFORE your sheduled boarding time for the ship. Round-trip fare for the taxi to San Pedro is $20pp.

Our love for Belize started with a stop from a cruise ship. We visited Belize from the Valor and did a day trip to Caye Caulker with a private tour company (Coral Breeze). Within a week of debarkation from Valor, I had a land vacation planned for Belize and we're taking another land vacation there in February 09.

My suggestion to first time/inexperienced visitors from a ship--book a tour with a reputable private company or the ship. There are alot of ways to tour-on-the-cheap, but you could end up getting alot more than you paid for....and not in a good way. A few extra bucks will give yo the piece of mind that someone is watching out for you. The private tour companies, that are reccomended by posters on these boards, make a living ensuring that you make your ship's departure time.

Google "Coral Breeze Tours" with the quotes. The first listing is the company we used. They have a Manatee watch/Bannister Island break available for alot less than the cruise ship price. They have several other available tours also.

Sorry for the long post, but the quick, simple answers can be dangerous....

Best of luck!!

What about Bannister Island?

Never been there, but I've heard great things about it....

Can you book it from the dock?

I'm sure you can. There are a bunch of tour vendors at the dock where you get off the tenders. They try to hard sell their tours, so I'm sure you could find one there. I'd stick with an on-line booking from a tour company reccomended by posters on these boards OR make a list of reccomended tours from here and watch for that company when you get off the tender.

Can you take a water taxi from the dock?

No water taxi to Bannister Island. You'd need to book a tour.

I'd like to visit a nice beach for drinks and "everything" but also want to visit the town afterwards.

Ideas? :)

Stay away from Caye Caulker, if you're looking for a beach. I love Caye Caulker, but there's no quintessential carribbean beach there. It's a great place to shop, get something to eat and chill out, but there's no resorts, chairs for rent, umbrellas or beach waiters.... It's a fishing village with a draw for Scuba Divers, Snorkellers and sight-seeing.

My beach suggestion would be to go to one of the islands via a tour company. If you miss Belize City, don't worry, you're not missing alot. Someone might flame me for that, but seriously, it's not really a "tourist" town and there's a reason the tender dock is fenced in from the rest of the city.

I realize that people "want to experience the culture" and "research the history" and "experience the locals".... That's all nice and fluffy, but the reality is that you've got to go outside Belize City for those things. You really don't have enough time in port to truly experience the mainland (jungle/ruins/quaint villages) AND go to the beach(islands/cayes). They're on opposite ends of the world in Belize....

HTH....

Wow thanks for all of your info! Have you been to the zoo everyone talks about? We've seen pictures and it looks like it might be an interesting way to spend part of the day in Belize? I'd really like to see the monkeys that are often talked about as well. How far from the dock is the zoo and is it worth a trip? Thanks again for all the helpful information :)

Wow thanks for all of your info! Have you been to the zoo everyone talks about? We've seen pictures and it looks like it might be an interesting way to spend part of the day in Belize? I'd really like to see the monkeys that are often talked about as well. How far from the dock is the zoo and is it worth a trip? Thanks again for all the helpful information :)

Your welcome. Hope it's helpful.

I've never been to the zoo and haven't spoken with anyone who has been. Sorry i can't help with that....

I see your on Valor in July. Valor stops at Roatan also, so if you're interested in wildlife, book with Bodden Tours....iguana farm with aquatic area (sea turtles, Tarpoon, barracuda)....monkeys at Victor's house....nice inexpensive tour that will be catered to your needs. Bodden generally gets very good reviews (90% positive--conservative estimate). We used him for our Valor trip and he was wonderful.

Your itinerary on Valor is very good. We had the same itinerary and it was great. We were exhausted by the end of the four consecutive port days....but in a good way:) .

Enjoy!! Please report back....

OK, another question...

if we book the Bannister Island excursion through Carnival, they pick us up directly from the ship. After the excursion, I assume they bring you straight back to the ship. Is there a tender, or a way, to get to Belize City to explore the city before the ship heads out to sea?

It's actually cheaper to book this excursion through Carnival, believe it or not! And, the Carnival booking includes a drink!

We'd like to see the town, even if briefly, so I'm very curious as to how we can do this after the excursion.

Thanks.

OK, another question...

if we book the Bannister Island excursion through Carnival, they pick us up directly from the ship. After the excursion, I assume they bring you straight back to the ship. Is there a tender, or a way, to get to Belize City to explore the city before the ship heads out to sea?

It's actually cheaper to book this excursion through Carnival, believe it or not! And, the Carnival booking includes a drink!

We'd like to see the town, even if briefly, so I'm very curious as to how we can do this after the excursion.

Thanks.

Yes, you can do exactly what you describe. You'll be taken directly to the ship after Bannister island. You get off the boat from Bannister island and head straight for the tenders. Depending on what time you get back from the ship, you should have time to go the city and explore.

I remember reading a post here about someone doing this exact thing. they said they had about an hour before the last tender.

HTH....

Archived