VERY LONG Triumph Review 5-24-08

Our cruise was WONDERFUL!!! There were seven of us that went. We got into Miami the night before and we stayed at Homewood Suites at the airport. We had a two-bedroom suite, very roomy, very clean, free hot breakfast, and free parking during our cruise. (Saved a lot of money considering we had 2 cars) Our room was perfect, we could watch planes land and take off from one window and then see the pool from the other. The next morning my DM announced that she had forgotten her birth cert. Sent me into a panic… a trip to the port to talk to a Carnival Rep. and to Homeland Sec., and then about 20 phone calls (which all took about 2 hrs. we got a faxed copy sent to us). Then we took the Super Shuttle from the hotel to the port, cost $50 for all 7 including all of the luggage. Got to the port around 11:00 and then had an ordeal with the porter…I got over that quickly not to let it ruin my fun. Try to stay away from porter 150!!! The terminal was nice. We had a short line at the scanners but that went quickly and then straight up to a clerk to check in. That went quickly as well. We boarded after a short wait. (Boarding was GREAT)

The ship is beautiful!!!! You can tell that she has a few years on her but she was very clean, I constantly saw workers cleaning. Our room was an OV connecting and very roomy considering 4 in one and 3 in the other. We ate in the Paris dinning room and had a great time. I loved the shrimp and of course the Choc. Melting cake!!! Every crewmember that we came into contact with was very friendly!!! The Deli was Great, there was usually a line there but to me I didn’t care. The pizza was good; to me it was about the same as all other cruise pizza I have had. We didn’t eat at the Hong Kong place or eat the sushi. The ice cream wonderful, I wish I had one of those machines here at my house. The burgers were good and the buffet was o.k. We ate breakfast in the dinning room a few times and it was good. The only bad things that I experienced was a slight sewage smell one time….nothing real bad, just enough to know that something didn’t smell quiet right. The mattress on our bed was sagging a bit, the shower would spray up on the ceiling in the shower, and the faucet would spray out on the counter. (My guess is all of these things will be corrected during dry-dock) This was nothing to ruin our cruise…we laughed it off and still had a GREAT time!!!

First stop – Puerto Rico. Got there at 5:00, we decided to stay on until after we ate at the open seating dinner in the Paris Dinning Room. We got off the ship around 8:00 and walked around the block and bought a few things, then four of us went to Senor Frogs for a couple of hours. (GREAT PARTY) I didn’t care much for this port; if we had the day there it may have been different.

Second Stop – St. Thomas. We had booked Godfrey’s Tours a few weeks before we left. We all loved this tour. We had Godfrey himself as our Driver and Guide; he was very informative about the island. He first took us downtown to do some shopping; we did the two-hour shopping. He then took us to all of the highlights of the island. When we got to the top the power was out. I wanted a banana daiquiri and couldn’t get one, maybe next time. He then took us to the beach of our choice. We first said Coki but when we got there it looked as if there was no room left to sit on the beach so we went to Sapphire Beach. I loved it there!!! Two of us went snorkeling, $5 for gear for 1 hr., GREAT place to see colorful fish!!! We saw a good size iguana while we were sitting on the beach. Godfrey came back to get us at 4:00 to take us back to the ship. Everyone on the island was very nice to us all. GREAT tour and we highly recommend it!!!!

Third Stop – Antigua. My DH and I went to Hawksbill Resort to go to the beach there, Beautiful beach. We then did some shopping. The rest of our group went to Devils Bridge and then did some shopping. I thought that everyone on the island was very nice to all of us.

Fourth Stop – Tortola. My DH and the two boys went to Brewers Bay Beach and the boys did some snorkeling. They told me that the snorkeling was no good at this beach. They said that it was like snorkeling at the lake back home. The rest of us went shopping. Most everyone was nice to us at the straw-market (I’ll call it that) there were a couple of the locals that wasn’t friendly…nothing rude just not too happy at the time. (I guess) We picked up a Cruise Ship visitor Guide at the port (free) and walked around the town. We went to Pusser’s Company Store and bought a lot of Rum, (good price) we found the Sunny Caribbee Herb & Spice Co., (lot’s of different spices) and we then went to the Craft Alive Village and bought several items there. I thought that Tortola was a nice island and wouldn’t mind going back again.

Fifth Stop – Nassau. Fourth time there. My DH and two boys had tickets for the Yellow Bird Party Boat but because delayed debarkation they missed the boat. So they along with a small group went to Cabbage Beach, nothing to get onto the Beach $10 each for all you can drink. Not sure what they were drinking, DH had a hard time getting everyone back to the ship, a couple of them had to be carried on. They all say the $10 was well worth it. The rest of us did a walking tour. Again get the free map at the port and follow it along. We went a fort and to the Queen’s Staircase (BEAUTIFUL) we saw a lot of other landmarks along the way. Going back to the port we did a lot of shopping. We dropped those things off at the ship and then went to the straw-market. (Remember at the straw-market you can talk prices down) I know that we will be back there again as we plan to cruise again (very soon).

Sea Days - We had two sea days during the cruise. The weather was great but the lido band was not up to par with previous cruises. Finding chairs was not a problem and we had a very lively crowd on this cruise. The beanbag toss game was a big hit it stayed active until the wee hours of the morning on most days. My DS and his friend along with two other friends participated in the Pool Olympics synchronized swimming and they won the ship on a stick. (I had to add that) This was the most fun we have had on a cruise. We really liked the layout of the ship, (I know that many do not) the crew, and all of the new friends that we made on this trip.

Sorry for such a long review but we had eight days, five ports, two sea days and a whole lot of FUN!!! :D

awesome review! good tips in there too (like where to get free parking in miami). Sorry to hear they missed the Party boat in Nassau.

We were on the same sailing, loved watching all the activities. We had an amazing cruise...this was the best time ever! :) And I agree..I want one of those ice cream machines here in the house! lol Luckily we were on deck 8 aft, so the ice cream machines were just a hop-skip-and one stair case away! :)

Which day was the Pool Olympics. I remember the ping pong ball game:p I'm still rolling at that one.

Wasn't is fabulous? That really was a great cruise from top to bottom

I think it was on Friday. I watched the ping pong game as well, it too was funny... :D

This was by far the BEST cruise yet!!!

Sounds great, I love new Triumph reviews. We are going on her in November for our first cruise and can't wait!

Oceangdss, where exactly were you? We have cabin 8430 coming up, it's also aft on deck 8. Would you mind posting a pic of your cabin if you can?

TIA!

I forgot to add, we found all of the hidden doors on the ship...if that's what you want to call it. Great views from these decks. You can get there on decks, 6, 7, 9, and I think it was 10, if you can't get there on deck 10 you could go up there from deck 9. Just go to the front of the ship and through the two doors, these decks were never crowded when we went there. ;)

I was wondering if you could tell me ...

I have been trying to do a search for this ...but with no luck;;;

on the Triumph are the sign & sail cards also the room key cards?

I know some ships are , and some are not ...

also ...

Does the Triumph have where you can keep track of sign & sail account spending on the TV ?

When I was on the Fantasy I was expecting both of these...and found neither to be true ... so I am curious :confused:

And thank you so much for posting your pics!!:)

I was wondering if you could tell me ...

I have been trying to do a search for this ...but with no luck;;;

on the Triumph are the sign & sail cards also the room key cards?

I know some ships are , and some are not ...

also ...

Does the Triumph have where you can keep track of sign & sail account spending on the TV ?

When I was on the Fantasy I was expecting both of these...and found neither to be true ... so I am curious :confused:

And thank you so much for posting your pics!!:)

Yes the S&S card is the room key and you can keep track of your spending on the TV. Myself I like it this way, easier for me to keep up with one card instead of that key thing that Fantasy uses. ;)

Thanks to all for the nice replies on this thread. :)

Archived