Balcony.....Is it Worth it?

twinss

We are planning our third cruise. We didnt have a balcony on our first two cruises and are considering a balcony for our next. We liked the inner cabins because they were very dark (great for sleeping) and it suited our needs as we werent in the room very much anyway (out of the room from 8am - 1am usually). However, your own private balcony sure does sound nice and DH could smoke his cigars out there. Is a balcony worth the extra money or should I just apply that money to my bar tab!! Thanks!

As far as I'm concerned there's just nothing like a balcony. Though we don't spend much time in the cabin either, I think it's just amazing to be able to go out onto that balcony whenever I want, with whom ever I want (or don't want for that matter), and have a cocktail or just hang out. I love coming into ports watching from my balcony and departing also. What a great feeling. I think I need to book another cruise!

I've always just had inside or outside rooms until we were upgraded to a balcony. I loved it! We would have breakfast there every morning, looking at where we were going to dock, drinks in the evening, read a book and nap a bit in the afternoon, etc. My DH has never stayed in anything else (it was his first cruise) so this next cruise, he wanted to try the complete darkness and we got an inside room. He also would rather spend the money on the bar bill too!

We personally love the balcony and try not to sail without one. Maybe you would spend more time in your room if you had a nice view and could sit out in the fresh air. Everyone is different but I would recommend trying it at least once to see if it works for you.

I love a balcony, especially for sea days (since we're not ones for laying by the pool) and coffee in the mornings. However, only if the price is right. We're not willing to pay a lot more for a balcony but we're usually able to get it for just a little increase over the OV. For instance, for our Sept cruise, we're paying about $50pp more for 8A vs 6A. Just my opinion!

IMO it's worth every penny. I wouldn't cruise without one. It's just so nice sitting out there in the AM drinking your coffee or in the evening or anytime of the day. If you have a cabin with a balcony, you will spend more time in your room. So IMO yes it's definitely worth it.

These pictures were all taken from our balcony.

2778842350046899484S500x500Q85.jpg

2369535610046899484S500x500Q85.jpg

2516642000046899484S500x500Q85.jpg

2460438400046899484S500x500Q85.jpg

For decades, I didn't care. I'd book the cheapest cabin available.

Then, one year about mid-90's, I was upgraded to a balcony cabin.....and I was hooked!

I love having a balcony; it's "my little corner of the world". I love having room service coffee and danish in the early morning hours, watching the sun come up or watching the sea change colors. It's quiet, peaceful.

In the midnight hours, the balcony presents a totally different world. Nothing but the sound of the ships wash and the stars. Sometimes, the sea is filled with phosphorus giving the ripples, waves and wash a ghostly green glow that seems unearthly. You don't get to see that from an inside cabin.

During the day, when things get frenetic topside, when the noise gets to you, that balcony is a quiet getaway where you can sun, listen to your music (with headphones, of course), read a good book or catch a nap..in total peace.

I have never gone back and will only buy a balcony cabin now.........it wouldn't be the same cruise experience without one.

DH and I will have our 1st balcony cruise in 77 days on the Glory. I am very much looking forward to it for all of the reasons mentioned above, mainly just being able to enjoy the solitude at any time of the day or night. Can't wait.

I think it depends on what you're looking for in a cruise. If you want to be up on deck, in the pools/bars, involved in activities every minute of the day, I can't see spending the extra for a balcony. If you're looking for rest, relaxation and want to enjoy the ocean in peace and quiet, definitely go for the balcony.

We've had both an OV and a balcony, and my dh wouldn't cruise without a balcony again. He goes on vacation to get away from it all, and much prefers to take his pina colada out on his balcony and doze in his chair to fighting the crowds up on the Lido deck. Here at home we have a small boat, so he loves to go out on the balcony and compare how they dock, drop anchor, tender, undock, etc. with how we do it.

I love the balcony rooms...it's like having another room. I get up early, so I go out on the balcony so I don't disturb my hubby and son. On our next cruise on the Fantasy I originally booked V18 Cat 11....those along with Cat 12 are the only balconies, but after much thought switched to ocean-view, there was a difference of $760.00. I figured that on the first day and last day I wouldn't spend much time on the balcony, and it's a 5 day cruise so it just wasn't worth it this time. So along with my $760.00 I saved with the oceanview and my fuel supplement rebate I have an $810.00 obc!!:D

Go with the balcony. We started cruising with a balcony and several cruises later we did an OV and I couldn't wait to get off the ship.

We went right back to the balcony and never looked back.

The nice thing is you can go out there and have your coffee in the morning in you own privacy.

There is no better way to cruise.

I know people always say that it doesn't matter because you're not in your room that much anyway - but I think it goes both ways - if you do decide to get a balcony you will use it a lot. We are not ones to isolate ourselves, and yes we did spend the majority of our time out of the room, however in the early morning and late evening, having a balcony has been awsome! It doesn't get much better than having room service delivered just as you're waking up with fresh coffee, and being able to watch the sunrise. Or being able to sit and just enjoy the quiet for a little while before bed. It was also fabulous for when we were all trying to get ready; it just gave us more space.

Balconys are nice but I do not have to have one....if offered a free cruise with a inside room I know alot of the spoiled people would not go. I would with out a second thought. I am not in my stateroom much except to change or sleep...and I like to go up to a upper deck on sail away and mingle and make new friends......I usually get up at 4 or 5 am and go slide out a deck chair with a cup of coffee near the top deck and enjoy the sunburst. Made lots of good friends up there.

We were happy with insides...until we had a balcony, that is! Now we book only balconies. It does greatly impact our choice of cruises, though. We need to look for the very best deals in order to afford/justify it. If it came to a choice between a balcony or not cruising at all, we'd cruise in whatever we could best afford. It does spoil you, for sure, once you've had one, so beware!:)

I wouldn't WANT to get myself so spoiled that I wouldn't/couldn't cruise without one. I'd rather cruise more often, and be out and about enjoying the people and activities, than to cruise less often and spend it isolated sitting on a tiny porch. Granted, it's a porch over the ocean but still....

Count us in as confirmed balcony people. I think it's totally worth it. I spend many hours of the cruise out there.

I tend to wake very early. I have my coffee, juice and Danish delivered, and I watch the sun come up, then I read and enjoy the breeze and the sounds of the waves, while hubby sleeps late. When he wakes, he joins me for coffee on the veranda before we head out for brunch.

Also, we always do early dinner. If you go to early dinner, you tend to be in your cabin, getting ready everyday just about the time the ship sails out of port. If you are in an inside cabin, you totally miss the experience of sailaway. And an outside isn't much improvement. But with a verandah, we will have the door open, and be able to enjoy the sailaway, even while still getting ready.

I can't tell you how many times, hubby will call me over to see something happening during sailaway, or to catch a last glimpse or photo of the islands as we leave.

And if hubby has to wait for me, while I finish up, he does it right there, and I don't have to go search for him on deck, before we head out to the dining room.

Sometimes we even take a little time to "enjoy our cabin" in the later afternoon, (if you know what I mean). You can do this with the veranda door open when you're at sea there is complete privacy. And when you're in port, you can just pull the sheers, and still enjoy the fresh air and sounds of the ocean while you "nap". It's a lovely way while away a few hours. And if you fit in a real nap, you are refreshed for the evening's entertainment.

I've even heard people comment that they will leave the door open while they sleep at night, and let the sounds of the waves lull them to sleep. (I can't vouch for that, as It always seems too windy when the ship is moving at night.)

I have had both OV and Balconies. As I an extremely claustraphobic I will never have an inside. The balcony is great for for two reasons. DH and I because he smokes and I do not. He takes his travel ashtray outside, smokes, and puts the butt in the tray (never over the side) and I do not have to smell it. And I love to read in peace and quiet. We also love having b'fast and late night snacks out there. While I would choose an OV rather than not cruising at all, I would rather have a balcony.

Thanks so much for all the wonderful reasons to get a balcony. I never considered how nice it would be to have breakfast on the balcony, to hear the waves, see the sailaways and enjoy a "nap" with the door open (yes, Gail V, I totally got what you meant). I am totally sold and assume that once I "go balcony", I will never go back! We will be on the April, 2009 Glory cruise, in style with a balcony! Thanks again everyone!

The previous poster said it best and I agree...there's nothing like a balcony, but I would sail in an oceanview rather than not go at all! If the price is right on a balcony, I would go for it. I'm not a fan of insides because I can sleep all day when I don't have any light coming in the room!

I guess I'll chime in again.

The balconies always worked for "us". usually having 4 in the cabin it is so much easier to go out on the balcony while others are getting ready.

There is nothing more enjoyable to me then going out there at 1 in the morning and watching the ocean in the pitch black, eeery but cool to do.

I remember one time we were leaving....hmmm....I think it was St. Thomas and we were on the balcony and there were dolphin following the ship out. I don't think we would have ever seen them if we didn't have a balcony.

As another poster said, we also don't spend alot of time in the cabin but when we're there we always use it to our advantage.

Archived